Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2022, 08:43   #16

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Re: Anchoring in Eelgrass protection areas - PNW

The lowest hanging fruit to reach the most boaters who seek to anchor is Community Edits on Navionics and Active Captain (now part of Navionics).

I always rely on local knowledge and community edits on my chartplotter. I've had several occasions to pay it forward on Active Captain a few times when I encountered an underwater hazard or anchoring info that other boaters need to know about.

This would be a good start until you can get higher and more permanent notations in private and public charts and guides.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 16:20   #17

Anchoring in Eelgrass protection areas - PNW

In the www.opennauticalchart.org and https://map.openseamap.org we have in 2021 implemented features for mapping of seagrass. The idea: You can only protect what you see, e.g. on the map or alternatively on satellite images.

The bing satellite images are allowed as information source for enhancing seabed information in the openstreetmap. And its fun: put on your diving googles, make a sketch after the dive, compare the satellite image and start recording your info in the openstreetmap database.

See outline for mapping the nature of the seabed and seagrass in the table here: https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/...NT-1_Section_J

If you can support in your area or at your next anchorage: it is a valuable contribution to the openstreetmap as open access project and for facilitating information on the location of seagrass and seaweed to the boating community. Feel invited to get in touch if you are interested: josail (a) gmx.de

cheers Jo
jo_sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 20:34   #18

Boat: Folkes 42 steel hull cutter

Thank you all for the feedback and ideas! Lots of great info we can use to help better inform boaters.

Much gratitude…

Liz
LizHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 21:01   #19

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizHK View Post
Thank you all for the feedback and ideas! Lots of great info we can use to help better inform boaters.

Much gratitude…

Liz
Thank you for your help with ecosystem recovery, "knowledge is power"
Boatyarddog !
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 21:06   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
The lowest hanging fruit to reach the most boaters who seek to anchor is Community Edits on Navionics and Active Captain (now part of Navionics).

I always rely on local knowledge and community edits on my chartplotter. I've had several occasions to pay it forward on Active Captain a few times when I encountered an underwater hazard or anchoring info that other boaters need to know about.

This would be a good start until you can get higher and more permanent notations in private and public charts and guides.
Like the 5 most commonly hit Rocks in the San Juans!
Priceless!
Boatyarddog
Old 24-03-2022, 03:22   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
Talk to Waggoners for sure. They are the only yearly guidebook and they have a newsletter...
“... Eelgrass areas are now noted on harbor diagrams so mariners can avoid anchoring in these areas to avoid damage to important waterlife habitat...”
2022 Waggoner Cruising Guidehttps://48north.com/cruising/cruisin...now-available/

Contact Waggoner:
Tel: 360-299-8500
Email: info@waggonerguide.com
Status Updates ➥ https://waggonerguide.com/updates/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 06:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post

Were you saying that Floridians can't be respectful?
Cause I know many ARE.
I'm absolutely not clear how you arrived at that take-away. I own a house in Florida and live there 6 months of the year.

I also boat in an area of New England for 6 months of the year that is actively attempting to restrict anchoring through accusations of illegal dumping and eel grass protection.

When I see someone who is not part of the boating community come in and use words like "delicate eel grass beds" in their attempt to ask how to further restrict anchoring (much like parts of Florida), I get very suspicious.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 06:34   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
... When I see someone who is not part of the boating community come in and use words like "delicate eel grass beds" in their attempt to ask how to further restrict anchoring (much like parts of Florida), I get very suspicious.
Are you implying that eelgrass is not "delicate", relative to anchors?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 09:43   #24

Boat: Folkes 42 steel hull cutter

Hello All,

Thank you again for your helpful feedback. Although I am new here - I am a boater - own a Folkes 42 steel hulled cutter - that my partner and I have sailed throughout NW waters. She's now moored in Wrangell AK - waiting for our return. I added a few pics to my gallery if you're interested. If you're cruising/sailing in SE AK this summer - keep an eye out for us

My intention for posting - was to gather some perspectives from fellow boaters - who might be anchoring in a new location - about the resources they use.

I hope to stay connected to folks in this forum about all kinds of cruising topics!

Thanks again,

Liz
LizHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 15:16   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I'm absolutely not clear how you arrived at that take-away. I own a house in Florida and live there 6 months of the year.

I also boat in an area of New England for 6 months of the year that is actively attempting to restrict anchoring through accusations of illegal dumping and eel grass protection.

When I see someone who is not part of the boating community come in and use words like "delicate eel grass beds" in their attempt to ask how to further restrict anchoring (much like parts of Florida), I get very suspicious.
But your comment was rude, no one is trying to restrict lawfully anchoring in protected areas.
Here in the PNW, and your NOT from here, most all respect the work done to protect habitat.
This IS A voluntary request.

ALTHOUGH, just recently brought in to Environmental Law

Your the ONLY one who mentioned Keeping people out, Ala Floridians, on a Suspicious cause of protecting eelgrass.

This is from your post.
"Are these areas designated as 'No Anchoring'? You're asking how to get people to not anchor in an area that is otherwise a legal anchorage.

Being your first post and the fact that you're not a boater, it's hard to not suspect you're simply not someone in the PNW looking to crowd source information in order to further exclude people, ala Florida.
If the eel grass tactic doesn't work, then it will be 'illegal dumping and discharge' next."

Even saying we would attempt to exclude Floridians.
So, your conspiracy theory is rude and uninformative, as well rude and OFF topic.

The OP was asking a question of this forum, NOT your opinion of its validity, or who it is meant to pertain to.
So, if one cannot respect the rules.
Just don't Come here.
Easy
Boatyarddog
Old 26-03-2022, 15:58   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizHK View Post
Hello All,

Thank you again for your helpful feedback. Although I am new here - I am a boater - own a Folkes 42 steel hulled cutter - that my partner and I have sailed throughout NW waters. She's now moored in Wrangell AK - waiting for our return. I added a few pics to my gallery if you're interested. If you're cruising/sailing in SE AK this summer - keep an eye out for us

My intention for posting - was to gather some perspectives from fellow boaters - who might be anchoring in a new location - about the resources they use.

I hope to stay connected to folks in this forum about all kinds of cruising topics!

Thanks again,

Liz
Good note, Thanks.
I believed you were to cause this question really pertains to Boaters, and cursing clubs.
Lucky for us we have some activists here to.
We have ALL kinds here.
For better or worse.
We all see the remarks.
The question of one poster can Be misused to imply something that is simply A fabrication of another poster.
Unfortunate in any case.
Boatyarddog
Old 26-03-2022, 16:01   #27

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
But your comment was rude, no one is trying to restrict lawfully anchoring in protected areas.
Here in the PNW, and your NOT from here, most all respect the work done to protect habitat.
This IS A voluntary request.

ALTHOUGH, just recently brought in to Environmental Law

Your the ONLY one who mentioned Keeping people out, Ala Floridians, on a Suspicious cause of protecting eelgrass.

This is from your post.
"Are these areas designated as 'No Anchoring'? You're asking how to get people to not anchor in an area that is otherwise a legal anchorage.

Being your first post and the fact that you're not a boater, it's hard to not suspect you're simply not someone in the PNW looking to crowd source information in order to further exclude people, ala Florida.
If the eel grass tactic doesn't work, then it will be 'illegal dumping and discharge' next."

Even saying we would attempt to exclude Floridians.
So, your conspiracy theory is rude and uninformative, as well rude and OFF topic.

The OP was asking a question of this forum, NOT your opinion of its validity, or who it is meant to pertain to.
So, if one cannot respect the rules.
Just don't Come here.
Easy
Boatyarddog
Actually I can see where the comment came from and understand the concern. The request is somewhat similar to a group of waterfront homeowners getting together in order to prevent boats anchoring in front of their properties, claiming similar concerns. While I certainly respect the intention it should be done through the legislative process, with all the due processes, so as not become another voluntary group trying to enforce their own rules.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 16:15   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Actually I can see where the comment came from and understand the concern. The request is somewhat similar to a group of waterfront homeowners getting together in order to prevent boats anchoring in front of their properties, claiming similar concerns. While I certainly respect the intention it should be done through the legislative process, with all the due processes, so as not become another voluntary group trying to enforce their own rules.
And you couldn't be more incorrect.
This is Legistated in WA State and has been under review for years, ellgrass is part of the fish rehabitation efforts in the PNW.
And just became law.
I believe Montanan in an earlier post wrote it too. post #18

This isn't an HOA issue, this is simply an issue that is part of reclaiming valuable habit for the Troubled Ecosystem.
It's not a political statement of people from different perspectives.
It's environmental law.
Its relevance out weighs political infighting about exclusion of those from a different state.
As some would argue.
It's about destruction of Washingtons Natural habitat.
Also, Horrible Anchoring.
Boatyarddog
Old 26-03-2022, 16:28   #29

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
And you couldn't be more incorrect.
This is Legistated in WA State and has been under review for years, ellgrass is part of the fish rehabitation efforts in the PNW.
And just became law.
I believe Montanan in an earlier post wrote it too. post #18

This isn't an HOA issue, this is simply an issue that is part of reclaiming valuable habit for the Troubled Ecosystem.
It's not a political statement of people from different perspectives.
It's environmental law.
Its relevance out weighs political infighting about exclusion of those from a different state.
As some would argue.
It's about destruction of Washingtons Natural habitat.
Also, Horrible Anchoring.
Boatyarddog

Hi, if it is as you state then I am absolutely correct, given that you have said that it has passed through all necessary legislative processes into law, the path that I said it should have taken. You will note that I also said that I respect the intent. At no point was politics invoked except by you, and it is also noteworthy that there are often several views on any topic, shooting down those that may view a subject differently is neither constructive nor appropriate.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 17:23   #30

An aerial view of eelgrass damage caused by anchor rodes in Richardson Bay, near Sausalito California.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aerial_pic_eelgrass_damage_rbay.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	254983  
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, grass, PNW, rot