Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 11:50   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
anchoring fees

I was reading some other stuff the other day and came across something about anchoring fees in the Bahamas. Then I remembered that I have read similar comments about anchoring fees in Turkey.

So just how common are anchoring fees? You know fees to just drop your anchor in a nice cove etc.?

And who collects this and how do you know they are real and even have authority to charge you this (because I've read of a couple of guys wearing tee-shirts showing up at boats demanding an anchoring fee)?

In some of the locations that I found anchoring fee comments I couldn't find any marina etc at the same spot that had any related info on their webpage.

How come CF doesn't have a big debate about this like is does about Florida?
Old 06-11-2012, 12:03   #2

Boat: Hans Christian 33
Re: anchoring fees

I have never heard of such absurd fee in the Bahamas. They do have a large visa fee, but no such thing as an anchorage free unless it is Chub Cay in which I would avoid anyway.
ReMetau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:12   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons

You have to pay to anchor in lots of places in Europe - not the quiet deserted coves but in harbours where there are also mooring balls and a harbour authority.

I also seem to remember having to pay ion the BVIs a few years ago.

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:13   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

one pays to anchor in cabo san lucas, baja sur, also.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

sadly with 25 years of global cruising i have noticed a marked increase in places,where you can no longer anchor,or have to pay to anchor,or are forced to take a mooring bouy.

this is the downside of the growth of the cruising fleet world wide,and a good revenue stream for local authouraties.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:27   #6

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

No anchoring fees in the Bahamas that I know of. You do need to pay $150 or $300 for a cruising permit which includes fishing license.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:31   #7
CLOD

I know about the cruising permit fee. But I read in some reviews of some Bahama anchorages in Active Capitan that mentioned an anchoring fee.

But really this question is more general than just for the Bahamas.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:33   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
one pays to anchor in cabo san lucas, baja sur, also.

How much is it and does it include something else like internet, pumpout, dinghy docks, showers, water etc?

Maybe I have not properly budgeted for anchoring!
Old 06-11-2012, 12:42   #9

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

No anchoring fees in the Bahamas but in Musha Cay (owned by David Copperfield) they claim they control the anchorage and discourage cruisers from anchoring. This little dispute has been going on for ten years there.
Old 06-11-2012, 13:11   #10

Boat: Gib'Sea 302, 30' - Hydra

Last summer, I paid for anchoring in the River Fal (SW Britain). It was the first and only time ever that I paid for that. But at £5/night and having our garbage taken away by the harbormaster, it wasn't a bad bargain. And we felt we helped to finance the salary of an old gentleman.

Since he wasn't in sight when we weighed anchor, we called him on the VHF. He was very surprised to see French yachtsmen willing to pay.

Alain
Hydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 16:16   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There is something wrong with fees when no service is provided. I will go somewhere else until there is nowhere else to go.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:02   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

There are a few places in UK where fees are reportedly charged for anchoring, mainly in the SW in Devon and Cornwall but cannot ever remember having been charged.
Have never been charged in North or West France although there may be places.
There are some places in Croatia that charge for anchoring generally where there are also mooring buoys provided which means that someone has the concession for a particular bay. Part of the concession is that they have to take rubbish. Charges for our 38 ft cat are modest by Croatia standards but high by UK standards varying from about 120 -200 kuna say £15 -22 approx. There are an increasing number of bays with such concessions but there are many more great places where its free to anchor. We have in 3 years only paid 1-2 times to anchor so its not a great deal - yet.
I did read an article by a guy who sailed from UK to the Med without paying once, but you can take things too far. A free anchorage in Havelet Bay vs St Peter Port Marina, Guernsey for £20 with really good facilities is a no brainer in my view
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 03:30   #13

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

You have to pay in various coves around Sardinia, although that is for a mooring buoy.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:22   #14

We were charged US$6 to $10 in some places in the San Blas (Kuna Yala) a few years ago, by the nearest inhabited island but that was independent of boat size and length of stay. They may offer to take your rubbish but you shouldn't give it to them as they generally don't dispose of it properly.

All too many UK harbours are now charging for anchoring, especially in the South West. For example, this year we have been charged between £9 and £16 (US$14 to 24) a night just for anchoring, moorings if you want one cost upwards of an additional £8 (US$12) a night (depends on boat size). But this, coupled with soaring mooring charges and marina costs, is unlikely to last as economic decline and inflation (sorry, quantitative easing) drives more and more boaters out of the market, or to cheaper places in France, Portugal, Spain and so on.
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 04:53   #15

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
There is something wrong with fees when no service is provided. I will go somewhere else until there is nowhere else to go.

Me too. And when I am king, the swells won't be able to buy exclusive shore line that belongs to all of us. And as awful as these storms are, I won't allow rebuilding anywhere that restricts access to Mother Ocean.

Blue Crab in 2016!
Attached Images

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, fees