Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2007, 23:43   #16

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Thanks Chuck.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 10:12   #17

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
No Problem, We are going to try and do another Bahamas trip next year.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 12:40   #18

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Cats can be rolly too! We found that when we had swells from the side we got sort of a snap roll, not as bad as a mono, but we found it annoying.

We use a variation on Makai that we learned and worked out in Isla Margrita, VEN in the bay know as Rollymar. Porlamar is know for wind and swells that come from 2 directions.

We anchor from the bow and set, usually layout 6-8 scope (8-10ft depth), then swing the stern up into the wind drop a second anchor from the stern, cleat it and set. We then let out rhode until we get the bows into the swell. We found this to be fast and very easy to keep the boat balanced. It also matches the appraoches most of the other cruisers were using so that everyone's movement was similar.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2007, 18:51   #19

Bil, Sounds like a good plan and I am sure it works well for a cat with two engines but if we tried to swing Sea Trek's stern into the wind once the anchor was down we would provide lots of entertainment to the whole anchorage.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 24-02-2007, 23:12   #20

Quote:
How far down the chain do you tie the halyard?
I have tried this less than 10 times and the rode kept going under the boat, OK 1 foot draft, So that this would not happen I had to put the knot at water level or higher. I was anchored in less than 6 feet of water.

Also, the Mac 26M bow cleats are close together, about 3 feet apart. Inorder to make this work I had to take the line back to the winch or stern cleat. Any thoughts?
Old 25-02-2007, 08:38   #21

Lynx, Now you have me a bit confused. We are not talking about a regular anchor bridle here but a variation to turn the boat to about 45 degrees to the set anchor. For this to work the line attached to your anchor rode must be back at the stern and the use of your primary winch is to easily adjust that line till the boat bow of the boat points in the direction you want. This would make the line attached to the rode somewhere around 30 feet or so depending on your boat size. The attached point for your boat would probably be about about 15 feet off the beam once you adjusted the line. Have a look at doug's posting on 2/22.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 25-02-2007, 23:47   #22

Sorry for mixing 2 different systems, I have not gotton the bridal to work on the 2 bow cleats.

Now the orginal post - Taking a the anchor rode back to the stern is the only one that worked for me. I have had problems with the rode going under my 1 foot draft boat. The way that I have solved this is to have the attachment point of the bridal to be at or above water level.

Quote:
The attached point for your boat would probably be about about 15 feet off the beam once you adjusted the line
Yep, 10 to 15 feet is about right. When the wind picks up there is a strain and an unusual feel to the boat. I let go of it then and adjust the rode if needed.
Old 26-02-2007, 03:55   #23

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
I have tried this less than 10 times and the rode kept going under the boat, OK 1 foot draft, So that this would not happen I had to put the knot at water level or higher. I was anchored in less than 6 feet of water.

Also, the Mac 26M bow cleats are close together, about 3 feet apart. Inorder to make this work I had to take the line back to the winch or stern cleat. Any thoughts?
Normally I set the anchor [primary]. Then hook the bridle on the chain back to the wrench. Then let out more anchor chain till it looks about right. Then use the wrench for adjustments. With the length of my boat this puts the bridle about 30 –35 feet down the chain. There is no way for it to get under the boat unless the wind changes direction
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 06:30   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
I think I am missing something here. I use a snubber, as do most folks I know who use all chain, mono or cat.

At one anchorage I know of which often has contrary wind and waves, I have set the snubber to cleats at different angles from bow to mid-ship (but not quite 90 degrees to wind as indicated in the drawing).

How is this "anchor bridle" different from just moving your snubber? Sorry if it is a stupid question.

cheers
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 09:03   #25

Jim, not a stupid question. Your regular snubber is usually attached off the bow to your chain to eliminate the strain if the chain yanks hard in the wind or seas. The bridle we are discussing is not a snubber as such but a control line to adjust the angle the boat lays and needs to be deployed near the stern if the angle is to be around 50 to 90 degrees. Anything near the bow or further forward will not allow you to "turn" the boat and keep it laying to the anchor in that direction. It will probably be considerably longer than your snubber.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 26-02-2007, 10:30   #26

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha All,
As I understand it you don't use a halyard, you use an old halyard. Correct Doug? I just didn't want folks thinking they always had to use a halyard for this system to work if that's not the case.
I believe the rolling hitch would be the best knot for this purpose. If you aren't familiar with it then its time to learn to tie it. Great knot for lots of purposes.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 11:01   #27

John, You are correct. Any piece of line heavy enough to hold the load will do but we prefer nylon for the stretch over an old halyard which is low or no stretch.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 26-02-2007, 14:21   #28

Boat: Bayfield 40' Silent Running
The only reason I said an old halyard is that's what I had. Chuck is correct a old anchor rode would be better. I tried one time using a anchor from the stern. When the wind came up we were forced to cast it off with a bouye. Retreiving it later. Using this system it is a matter of walking the line to the bow.
d0ug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2007, 19:46   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Tayana 37
Chuck, thanks. I think I use the snubber as others use a "bridle". I normally run my snubber off an anchor roller at the bow, however have moved it further abeam to turn the boat into contrary waves. It's about 30' (nine metres) and when the wind pipes up I generally use all of it.

I don't have a parachute sea anchor, though I do have a series drogue (which I have thought a lot about, but never used) and have concocted a bridle I expect will allow me to run it off the bow (a la Pardeys) to assist heaving to -- until the seas begin to break, when I will release a line and run from the drogue as designed. Anyway, perhaps the bridle described in other posts is more closely related to a Pardey sea anchor bridle which makes sense.

cheers
Jim
jimbim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring