Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 01:31   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Anchor Swivels

This link to a free copy of the SSCA Commodores’ Bulletin was originally posted by Joe Abbott in another thread, but it contains an interesting overview on anchor swivels (page 20-23).

https://www.ssca.org/docs.ashx?id=469521
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 01:50   #2
cruiser

Re: Anchor Swivels

A well-informed article, it’s comforting to know we made a good decision by choosing oversized Ultra swivels. Both Ultra anchors were upsized along with the swivels, expensive.... but we sleep well.

They pay for themselves quick by allowing us to stay out of marinas.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 04:47   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We use a Kong swivel, much larger than the pictured example, and it's also articulated on a third plane to better handle sideloading.

Our requirement is about being able to turn the anchor right-side up on retrieval, since our leader chain (combo rode) apparently always twists...

The Kong we have works pretty well, near as I can tell. Haven't ever seen it in various articles comparing brands/models...

-Chris
Old 31-07-2019, 06:15   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

I used to have a swivel, but took it off 7 months ago and haven't noticed any change in being able to bring the anchor backup and in chain twist. But then I also have a couple of schakles connecting my chain to the anchor and that allows a lot "play". Personally I think as long as you sized it properly a swivel is just fine.

My key takeaway of the article and the many ends discussions here about swivels is:

"Google “Anchor Swivels” for additional information on this important issue. Just remember that not everything you read on the internet is true, and some of the shorter negative comments on forums are based entirely on unsubstantiated opinion."

Tags
anchor