Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 22:36   #121

Boat: Norsea 27
Most of the metal failures I've had on board were from crevice corrosion on stainless steel parts. That alone keeps me from trusting my boat on stainless anchoring gear. Notice that most swivels use pins that are less in diameter than your chain. As for my mooring buoy, I've found that the underwater swivel gets easily fouled by marine growth and disabled and it's virtually impossible to assess the condition of the parts. It will be removed this spring as I'm not going to trust it any longer. I've found a few mooring balls washed up on the beach that have failed at the swivel.
Sometimes I get a little annoyed a bit of wound up chain to straighten out but after seeing my boat on the beach once I want to avoid a repeat.
rocksculpter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 23:55   #122
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksculpter View Post
Most of the metal failures I've had on board were from crevice corrosion on [poor quality or inappropriate grades of] stainless steel parts.
There I fixed it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksculpter View Post
Notice that most swivels use pins that are less in diameter than your chain.
What? If that's what you chose, then: obviously. So, don't.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 03:13   #123
CLOD

Boat: none
Well I'm lost.

What has been decided about anchor swivels here - yes or no?
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 03:27   #124
Marine Service Provider

Nothing. Do you need one? Then go select a decent quality one with a tested break load in excess of the chain, install it with at least a shackle between it and the anchor shank, and go sailing.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 04:06   #125

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Well I'm lost.

What has been decided about anchor swivels here - yes or no?
Well, read back through the posts. There is no consensus, but lots of useful information. You will have to make up your own mind.

I think the main camps are:

1. Never, ever, ever should you put a swivel into your ground tackle. It's an inherent weak point and a danger to life and limb.

2. A swivel is ok if you really need one to get your anchor into your bow roller. Just don't choose an undersized and/or crappy one.

Personally I am in the second camp, which is most eloquently represented by Craig Smith, but you have to decide for yourself. My swivel, without which I could simply not stow my anchor, cost a fortune -- a significant fraction of the cost of the 100 meters of 12mm chain. But it is rated stronger than the chain itself -- even in side load it is stronger than the chain. So I don't worry much about my swivel. YMMV.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 09:57   #126

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, read back through the posts. There is no consensus, but lots of useful information. You will have to make up your own mind.

I think the main camps are:

1. Never, ever, ever should you put a swivel into your ground tackle. It's an inherent weak point and a danger to life and limb.

2. A swivel is ok if you really need one to get your anchor into your bow roller. Just don't choose an undersized and/or crappy one.

Personally I am in the second camp, which is most eloquently represented by Craig Smith, but you have to decide for yourself. My swivel, without which I could simply not stow my anchor, cost a fortune -- a significant fraction of the cost of the 100 meters of 12mm chain. But it is rated stronger than the chain itself -- even in side load it is stronger than the chain. So I don't worry much about my swivel. YMMV.
You forgot the sub-debate: the allegation that stainless steel is insidious and dodgy and will rot off a galvanised chain with no warning.

I would ask in response if any galvanised swivels exist?

I would also ask if, like the familiar "trailer hitch Hail Mary chain", any skippers run a small length of chain from the shank back to the chain, keeping the anchor attached should the shackles/swivel fail.

This would allow the recovery of the anchor, at least. Assuming, of course, that the "safety chain" did not itself break or foul.

Anyway, a very informative discussion on a contentious topic.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:06   #127

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post

I would also ask if, like the familiar "trailer hitch Hail Mary chain", any skippers run a small length of chain from the shank back to the chain, keeping the anchor attached should the shackles/swivel fail.

This would allow the recovery of the anchor, at least. Assuming, of course, that the "safety chain" did not itself break or foul.
What exactly would that look like after the swivel swiveled in the same direction say..... 20 times? Which would twist off, the swivel, the safety chain or both?

Just askin,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:19   #128
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
... I would ask in response if any galvanised swivels exist? ...
SeaDog Galvanized Anchor Swivels

http://www.sea-dog.com/cgi-bin/webda...ing%20Hardware
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SDG_Galv-Swivels.gif
Views:	142
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	22963  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:49   #129

Boat: Irwin 41 45'6" WorldsAway
Hello Irwinsailor,

Quote:
Originally Posted by irwinsailor View Post
I have a stainless jaw jaw on my Delta anchor. I have been wondering if a swivel is a good idea. I have read that the swivel is the most likely place for a brake. What are your thoughts?
I have two Bruce anchors on my Irwin, over here in Florida they seem to work better than the three boat I have seen drag lately.
Irwin 41
Worldsaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 10:49   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
What exactly would that look like after the swivel swiveled in the same direction say..... 20 times? Which would twist off, the swivel, the safety chain or both?

Just askin,
Extemp.
So am I. I don't know if it's a stupid idea to pursue or not. I'm wondering if this is even feasible in a tidal situation. On Lake Ontario, I will freely admit I miss the bigger picture, even though squalls can give us a lot of veering wind and sudden gusts that inform our technique...
Old 20-01-2011, 10:51   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
SeaDog Galvanized Anchor Swivels

Search Results
Gord, I am familiar with those, of course. I have several aboard. What I meant is are there galvanized swivels of the Powerball or Quickline type? They all seem to be SS or plastic coated SS, which I find dubious...putting plastic over SS in salt water, I mean.
Old 20-01-2011, 10:58   #132

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Gord,

Some of those swivel pins have a welded on nut. A number of times the weld corrodes away and the swivel fail by releasing the nut. I drill a 3/16" hole through the nut and pin, drive a galvanised nail through, cut off, and peen over the end. I do this to my ground chain and bounce chain shackles as well. In my area, this stand up better than lacing wire, which gets ground away on the rocky bottom.
Old 20-01-2011, 11:01   #133

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Gord,

Some of those swivel pins have a welded on nut. A number of times the weld corrodes away and the swivel fail by releasing the nut. I drill a 3/16" hole through the nut and pin, drive a galvanised nail through, cut off, and peen over the end. I do this to my ground chain and bounce chain shackles as well. In my area, this stand up better than lacing wire, which gets ground away on the rocky bottom.
What's a "bounce chain"?
I haven't heard that term before.

Thanks,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2011, 11:32   #134

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Here in Bermuda, we put down moorings to withstand hurricanes, many on rocky bottoms which wear away the chains.
Bluestocking swings in front of my house in 25ft of water with an average 4ft tidal range.
My mooring weight is an 8 ton flywheel from a Fairbanks Morse industrial generator, shackled to 15ft of 1 3/4" ships chain to take up the extreme hurricane surge. Double 6ft lengths of 3/4" chain are shackled between the ground chain ,and the 5/8" upchain to my deck. The 3/4" chain (bounce) takes the wear in the tidal range, and usually lasts 3 yrs.
Old 20-01-2011, 12:50   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Gord,

This reminds me of the method of putting a bolt through a shround termination in an open turnbuckle instead of the customary cotter pin or ring.

Tags
anchor