Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2015, 09:24   #1

Boat: Bristol 35.5
anchor shackle security

I'm a locksmith by trade and have used these in the past to secure things.
thinkin it's a no brainer for anchor shackle. haven't used it yet. lookin for feedback please if a no go.

50 Stainless Steel Split Rings 14mm 150lb Test | eBay

one to pin, one to shackle and then to each other. thoughts?
powsmias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:41   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: anchor shackle security

They wouldn't work for us. The rings would get torn off sooner or later on the bow roller. A low profile safety wire job seems to work.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:48   #3

a small spool of Monel wire will last you about... oh... 40 years at least....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powsmias View Post
haven't used it yet. lookin for feedback please if a no go.
No go I am afraid. Look for a good quality, rated, shackle.

Crosby and Green Pin are good brands. It is worth looking up the SWL and making sure the shackle is not the weak link. They are often exposed to a side load so a bit of overkill is not a bad thing, especially as the cost is small.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:52   #5

I use a few turns of SS safety wire. I twist them tightly a number of times, then cut twist with enough length to tuck the twist into the hole of thumb screw on the pin. This ensure it won't catch on anything (like a hand).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:53   #6

I have a really hard time putting a 50 cent piece in place to hold my boat. Even the swivels kinda rase the hair on the bacvk of my neck. Not knocking them or anything else that somewhat might use, but just saying, I'd prefer to wire everything....
FastCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 10:33   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sorry I misread your post. You only want to use these for seizing the shackle pin.

That would work fine although some monel wire is less bulky.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:47   #8
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
They wouldn't work for us. The rings would get torn off sooner or later on the bow roller. A low profile safety wire job seems to work.
^^ What he said. Split rings are notorious for catching and getting ripped of. Handy on somethings, but not critical things.
Old 20-05-2015, 10:57   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Anchor shackles can snag on the bowsprit, forestay etc. The anchor winch can exert a lot of force with potential damage. I prefer to streamline the connection as much as possible to minimise the potential for anything to catch. See here:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-123394.html

I cut the head off the shackle pin and mouse with monel wire.

Old 20-05-2015, 11:20   #10
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I just replaced our anchor shackle. It was a year old and I thought the pin head had corroded. I knew it was a recessed Allen key type pin but it looked more recessed than usual. After cutting it off with a hacksaw and replacing it with a standard shackle and pin (I cable tied the pin head to the shackle, will keep an eye on how it lasts) I realised the original shackle was fine, just a bit of gunk in the Allen key hole. Stupidly...I hacksawed the shackle off while underway to the next anchorage and promptly forgot about cleaning up the iron filings that I could hardly see. 1 week later they were obvious, all over the gel coat and foreword beam. I've spend about 8hrs so far removing every filing and rust mark that's found it's way into every crevice and surface and have another 8hrs to go probably to make sure. Major stupidity pain in the ass. Just posting so others can be warned!
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 12:23   #11

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
....Stupidly...I hacksawed the shackle off while underway to the next anchorage and promptly forgot about cleaning up the iron filings that I could hardly see. 1 week later they were obvious, all over the gel coat and foreword beam. I've spend about 8hrs so far removing every filing and rust mark that's found it's way into every crevice and surface and have another 8hrs to go probably to make sure. Major stupidity pain in the ass. Just posting so others can be warned!
Doh! Doh! Doh!

Been there, done that! Every time I emerge onto the deck with a hacksaw or drill, the admiral grabs the hose! What's amazing is the stains you get from even aluminum shavings......
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 19:04   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

Quote:
... I've spend about 8hrs so far removing every filing and rust mark that's found it's way into every crevice and surface and have another 8hrs to go probably to make sure. ...
I did the same silly mistake grinding some stainless over the cockpit. I found that once you brush and wash most of the specks away, Oxalic acid removes the discolouration. Only very small particles are likely to remain and these will rust away. In my case, it may have taken 2 more acid treatments a week apart to complete the job.

A lot easier that 8 hours x 2.
Old 20-05-2015, 20:04   #13

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
I just replaced our anchor shackle. It was a year old and I thought the pin head had corroded. I knew it was a recessed Allen key type pin but it looked more recessed than usual. After cutting it off with a hacksaw and replacing it with a standard shackle and pin (I cable tied the pin head to the shackle, will keep an eye on how it lasts) I realised the original shackle was fine, just a bit of gunk in the Allen key hole. Stupidly...I hacksawed the shackle off while underway to the next anchorage and promptly forgot about cleaning up the iron filings that I could hardly see. 1 week later they were obvious, all over the gel coat and foreword beam. I've spend about 8hrs so far removing every filing and rust mark that's found it's way into every crevice and surface and have another 8hrs to go probably to make sure. Major stupidity pain in the ass. Just posting so others can be warned!
Yep, and never use an angle grinder within 30 feet of a boat! Actually make that 50.
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 20:07   #14

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
I did the same silly mistake grinding some stainless over the cockpit. I found that once you brush and wash most of the specks away, Oxalic acid removes the discolouration. Only very small particles are likely to remain and these will rust away. In my case, it may have taken 2 more acid treatments a week apart to complete the job.

Phosphoric is what I have found works best. Also for rust stains on the hull generally, for example around chain locker drains. Works in moments, quite something to see!
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2015, 03:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post

Use of a Shop Vac is a good start.
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, security