Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 07:06   #1

Anchor setup Moody 27!! Help please

Hello to everyone

Fernando from Spain, i own a Moody 27.

I am trying to change the setup for my anchor, i have a Electric horizontal windlass mounted just before my anchor locker.

To be able to anchor, i need to open de hatch and and manually through the anchor and the windlash does not take the chain because is behing.

I will attache some images, as i do not know really well how to explain

I would like to know if any one has a similar problem and if you have a draw on paper image to see how i can solve the issue.

I just got the boat 6 months ago.

Looking forward to hear from you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FZd...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C7c...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NQG...ew?usp=sharing
Roque2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 07:51   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Anchor setup Moody 27!! Help please

That windlass must have been installed later by someone. There is supposed to be a hole in the deck lined up with the bottom of the chain gypsy so the chain can drop straight down into the anchor locker. It doesn't look possible on that boat. Frankly, I would skip the windlass most of the time and I would use just 30 feet of chain and the rest nylon line. Pull in by hand on a 27 footer. That windlass will be nearly useless anyhow.
Old 14-06-2024, 09:57   #3

(as stated above) I would expect a deck hawse directly below the gypsy which would be used to send rode into the anchor locker.

Your set-up looks like the rode comes over the bow roller, under the forestay, across the open hatch, around the gypsy, then goes forward and eventually into the anchor locker.

This design would require someone manually feed the anchor chain into the locker.

(As stated above) this looks like someone's poorly designed DIY 'upgrade'.

Not sure that you need a windlass on a 27 foot boat. For 9 years my wife hauled 30 feet of 1/4" chain and 1/2" line with a 25 lb anchor on the end by hand. I'll acknowledge that that doesn't work for everyone.

Best of luck
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 23:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
That windlass must have been installed later by someone. There is supposed to be a hole in the deck lined up with the bottom of the chain gypsy so the chain can drop straight down into the anchor locker. It doesn't look possible on that boat. Frankly, I would skip the windlass most of the time and I would use just 30 feet of chain and the rest nylon line. Pull in by hand on a 27 footer. That windlass will be nearly useless anyhow.

Hi Kettewell, the problem with this winslass is installed after the locker, so is no holes going to the chain locker. At the moment how i am doing it:

1. Open the hatch

2. Throw the anchor into the water
3. But this process is a mess, i sail with my 3 years old, and having an electric windlass nearly new i would like to make it to work.

I even thought to split and laminate hanf of the hatch and move it forward.

Any way i keep thinking

Thanks for the reply
Old 14-06-2024, 23:41   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
(as stated above) I would expect a deck hawse directly below the gypsy which would be used to send rode into the anchor locker.

Your set-up looks like the rode comes over the bow roller, under the forestay, across the open hatch, around the gypsy, then goes forward and eventually into the anchor locker.

This design would require someone manually feed the anchor chain into the locker.

(As stated above) this looks like someone's poorly designed DIY 'upgrade'.

Not sure that you need a windlass on a 27 foot boat. For 9 years my wife hauled 30 feet of 1/4" chain and 1/2" line with a 25 lb anchor on the end by hand. I'll acknowledge that that doesn't work for everyone.

Best of luck

Hello Shrew

Thanks for your reply

Is just i would like to use it, i sail with my 3 year old, so if another person comes i am alone to everythink, so i would like to spent as less as posible in this process of anchoring.

I am agreed with you who designed to fit the windlass.....

I will turn around, i just want to have always the anchor out and ready!!

Best regards and have a great weekend

Tags
anchor, lease