Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2012, 13:20   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Thinking about a Catolina
Re: Anchor rode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydra View Post
SSI / NH,
Even if I don't intend to change the Nylon part of my rodes soon, I would like to know which grade / diameter of Spectra or Dyneema you would recommend for a 30', 3,5t sailing yacht.

Alain
Considering that most chain up to 5/16" (8mm) has a breaking strength of 7,600lbs, as long as you exceed that your good. I personally like the Dynex Dux because it's stronger, impregnated with Durocoat for added abrasion resistance, plus using a smaller diameter than most the others. It's hard as a rock when you first get it but once used it softens up.

Single braid rope would be great as anchor line because as tension is applied the rope collapses on the other strains making is a hard a and durable.

Check out the Easy Pull Anchor Rode it might be what your looking for.
SSI / NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 06:13   #32

Re: Anchor Rode

Dux was invented for trawls and heavy duty anchoring and mooring:
/ Products

But I am curious to know whether anyone's using brait (8-strand). As I understand it, it's strong and lays quite nicely in storage.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 07:07   #33
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

Tami there is no reason not to use eight strand nylon, strength wise it is similar to same size three strand, it has a little less stretch but that might be just fine if you are using for the anchor rode, on the bridle you might want to stick with three strand (bc you need as much elasticity as you can get on the bridle), and as you say its easier to handle.
Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 08:33   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Yes my secondary rode is 400 feet of 1.25" 8-strand nylon braid, spliced onto 22 feet of 3/8" chain. It stores as compact as it can get and never ever jams or knots up in a mess. Stretch is plenty, the only negative is the higher price.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 09:07   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

FWIW: Wet Nylon fibre loses about 10% of its strength, and wet nylon ropes can lose up to 15 - 20% of their strength. The full strength is regained when the rope dries out.
Splices are preferred to knotted rope, since, while a knot reduces the strength by as much as 40% (ie: bowline) or more; some splices can retain up to 95% of the strength of the line.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 09:34   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i LOVE watching yacht braid snap under load. i use 3 strand when i have to use rope for rode. wont snap as readily.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 09:40   #37

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Nylon rope loses more like 15-20% of its strength when thoroughly wet. Marine rope manufacturers use coatings that help to minimize strength loss. You can easily compensate for this in rope by going up one size, if there is need for that level of strength.
Old 21-01-2012, 10:01   #38

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamif27 View Post
Dux was invented for trawls and heavy duty anchoring and mooring:
/ Products

But I am curious to know whether anyone's using brait (8-strand). As I understand it, it's strong and lays quite nicely in storage.
I use a multiplait 5/8" rode w/60' of chain. The 3 strand ALWAYS trys to untwist when under load, which twists the chain, causing the chain to not pay in/out right in the gypsy. Almost lost a mast in an emergency situation (under a bridge) once b/c of the chain binding in the hosepipe (twisted).

I've gone multiplait and will never go back!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ALrode.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	36297  
Old 21-01-2012, 10:06   #39

Boat: Allures 44

Does anyone know a brand and source for polyester 8-plait (aka Octoplait) in the U.S.? Alternatively, does anyone use a 12-plait polyester rode like NE Ropes Regatta braid?

Colin
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 10:31   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Does anyone know a brand and source for polyester 8-plait (aka Octoplait) in the U.S.? Alternatively, does anyone use a 12-plait polyester rode like NE Ropes Regatta braid?

Colin
Here's where I got my 12 plait, at the best price around locally. But they only have one type of chain available.
Anchorlift - Chains & Ropes

But others, 8 plait...........
Nylon Brait / Eight - Strand Plaited Nylon Rope | Yale Cordage

Rope Inc. Catalog Premium Nylon Lines
Old 21-01-2012, 10:37   #41

BTW I believe, anyone that carries the AnchorLift brand can order just the 12 plait rode w/o chain. Or you could buy the shortest chain and cut it off, for its price.
Old 21-01-2012, 10:48   #42

Thanks! I already have some 8-plaited Nylon rode. It handles well, doesn't hockle, and stores easily. Still, I'd like to try polyester. The funny thing is that 8-plait polyester appears to be common in Europe and NZ/Oz, but no one stocks it in the U.S.

I guess I could order some 8-plait polyester from the UK. Or maybe I use NE Ropes's 12-plait Regatta braid, instead?
Old 21-01-2012, 11:06   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For what it's worth, I've ordered from Rope Inc on several occasions and have been pleased with their service and quality. I don't see a polyester 8-plait in their catalog though.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2012, 11:26   #44

It looks like Machovec has a wide selection of rope at good prices. I don't see 8-strand polyester, but they do carry a few different 12-strand poly ropes.
Old 21-01-2012, 13:51   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

While the strength of the Dyneema family of cordage is wonderful, I have a reservation about using it for anchor rode: the stuff floats! Thus, when the wind and current don't put any stress on the system, there could be heaps of your slack rode floating on the surface. This is asking for trouble with passing power vessels, be they dinghies, tinnies full of oblivious fishermen or motorboats looking for a good spot to anchor (near you, the obviously expert cruising sailor). The Dyneema may be tough enough to not be cut by their props, but it's still a bad situation to get it wrapped around someone's prop.

As of yet I haven't tried winching uncovered Dyneema, but I wonder how many extra wraps around the winch barrel are required... the stuff is so damn slippery! Anyone with experience in this??

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
anchor, rode