Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2019, 06:56   #1

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer
Anchor Locker Problem Resolution

My 2000 380 Searay 380 Sundancer was built from the factory with the optional 200' all-chain rode.

This was a great option, with terrific holding power under lots of conditions. I built a snubber w/ a hook to hold the chain / absorb the shock during usage.

There was a silent problem occurring, with the delamination of large sections of gel coat inside that anchor locker, then then clogged the two drain weep holes, causing rust near the bitter end of the chain.

There was also exterior rust stain dribbling on the hull exterior below the drain weep holes, but it wasn't possible to see the interior problem, concealed below the anchor chain.

An examination during the problem resolution, of my empty anchor locker revealed the exposed bare fiberglass hull to have a glossy surface, making gel coat adhesion difficult.

My guess is operation during rough conditions had the chain bumping around, breaking away the poorly bonded gel coat. There were large sheets of loose gel coat, with pieces many inches long.

My solution was to first scrape away whatever was possible to remove with a paint scraper.

The next step was to vacuum sand the exposed fiberglass hull and to sand away any gel coat that was possible to remove without difficulty.

All of the problem areas were above and below the internal loop eye, on either side of the centerline of the boat.

That exposed bare fiberglass was painted with epoxy.

A fitted plastic "wood" slatted shelf was made for the floor to space the rode an inch above the drain weep holes, while permitting the rode to drain / shed water and air dry.

The rode was exchanged from all-chain to rope / chain. When I removed the original 5/16" chain it filled two five gallon buckets. Each bucket was very difficult to move because of the weight. My entire new rope / chain rode can be moved by me without difficulty.

A cardboard template was created that fits the shape of the locker, an inch above the base. A tee bevel was used to get the internal hull slope.

My Ridgid 4511 granite table saw was used to make all the compound cuts for this new plastic "wood" floor.

The end result is exactly what I wanted. Now I don't have to worry about the drain weep holes being blocked. Everything will stay dry. Nothing will be beating on my hull. LOTS of weight was removed from the bow!

Initial Condition - Chain Rode Removed

Shelf Location Marked w/ Tape

Cardboard Template Created / Fitted

Ridgid 4511 Granite Top Table Saw Ripping Frame to Match Hull Slope

Base Frame Parts w/ Cuts Permitting Bending to Match Hull

Base Frame Trial Fit To Anchor Locker

Base Frame Covered w/ Slats to Full Locker Width

Platform w/ Extended Nose Added Covering Forward Gap

Glossy Hull / Loose Gel Coat Sanded Prior to Epoxy

Bare Hull Covered w/ Epoxy

Anchor Rode in Completed Locker
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote