Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2022, 22:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Anchor Locker Drain Plugged. 1989 Catalina 30 MKII

Any advice for clearing a clogged anchor locker drain on a 1989 Catalina 30 MKII? I've never dug into the plumbing, perhaps there is access from the V-Berth. Also, I noticed what may be part of a valve mechanism that may have at one time been seated at the top of the drain. Possibly a backflow preventer? It is a tiny cylinder with a pin protruding out of one end that fits perfectly into the drain hole at the base of the anchor locker.

Thanks for your help.

Robert

S/V Sea Cur
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2022, 20:09   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Anchor Locker Drain Plugged. 1989 Catalina 30 MKII

I believe the C30 has a small drain hole exiting the hull on the stbd side of the bow. I don't think there is anything other than a small hole there, and all that is needed is to clear the hole of debris. You may need to pull out all the rode and use a shop-vac to reach down in there and suck out all the gunk that builds up in there. There is no need for a back flow preventer, if it has one; any water that gets in during sailing would be minimal and would drain out anyway.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 17:38   #3

Boat: Oyster 435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I believe the C30 has a small drain hole exiting the hull on the stbd side of the bow. I don't think there is anything other than a small hole there, and all that is needed is to clear the hole of debris. You may need to pull out all the rode and use a shop-vac to reach down in there and suck out all the gunk that builds up in there. There is no need for a back flow preventer, if it has one; any water that gets in during sailing would be minimal and would drain out anyway.
This is exactly the way our Catalina 28 was set up. Ours plugged one time and I backflushed it with a dock hose from outside the hull into the chain locker. Found a purple acrylic fingernail. Don't know who lost it or how long it had been in there...
Agree that there is no need for a backflow preventer. The bottom drain from the chain locker exited the hull above the water line. I changed the hose shortly after as a routine maintenance item.
Good luck,
Ray
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2022, 19:15   #4

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
Any advice for clearing a clogged anchor locker drain on a 1989 Catalina 30 MKII?

Run a stiff wire through it, folded back on itself at the end.

Tags
anchor, anchor locker, catalina, catalina 30, plug