Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 11:22   #61

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Does this mean the Fortress will reset 50% of the time?

Edit: I just re-read that post. The anchor was never subjected to a 180* shift. The 180* shift mentioned was the boat going from forward (when the anchor was released) to stopping and swinging around when the anchor caught.

The anchor was set in one direction only - it doesn't matter if you are going in forward or reverse when setting your anchor.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 11:35   #62

Agree 100% with Jeff Siegel: keep Fortress, get rid of Bruce and CQR. But, I would add another Fortress to your anchor quiver. You'll end up anchoring on just the Rocna 95% of the time in the U.S., but you'll definitely want a second anchor for those Bahamian moors you need in the Bahamas. I like to also have another light anchor for those times in which you are anchored in a narrow channel (ala Bahamas) with a reversing current and the wind comes in strong from the side, pushing you out of the deep water. Just take a light Fortress out in the dinghy to the side and you are all set. Same thing happens in the creeks along the ICW at times. Same situation in a crowded New England harbor when the wind switches 180 degrees with a frontal passage. If you lose the main anchor you can safely anchor on two Fortresses set in a V, and that will take care of most swinging situations. I rode out Hurricane Bob on a combination of a mooring block and two small Fortress anchors. A boat near me dragged his mooring block ashore, but we held firm. The only problem was retrieving the anchors, which took several hours of winching and waiting. There was no way either of those anchors was ever going to pull out--something would have had to break first.
Kettlewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 19:54   #63

I agree on keeping the Fortress but it's a harder call as to whether to get rid of the CQR or the Bruce. Plenty of fans of each.

Before doing any selling, I'd see how that Manson fits on the bow roller. It's going to be your primary anchor and you want it to deploy and retrieve reliably and not bang around in a head sea. Then, I'd keep whichever 2nd anchor (Bruce or CQR) gets in the way of the Manson the least.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 05:48   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I'd keep the Fortress, and upsize the Rocna to, at least, 33#.
I agree with the idea - but I actually believe what the anchor manufacturers (in the case of Rocna and Fortress) tell me about sizing etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Australian Bush hat... allegedly kangaroo skin.
If its an Akubra (most popular/famous Australian hat) then its rabbit skin. There are some roo skin hats - but I dont know any aussie bushies that wear them
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 05:59   #65
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

[QUOTE=Factor;603768
If its an Akubra (most popular/famous Australian hat) then its rabbit skin. There are some roo skin hats - but I dont know any aussie bushies that wear them[/QUOTE]

Nope...... its a Tarberry hat... and I'm not to bothered about who made it... it functional and thats what matters to me...
Old 31-01-2011, 18:20   #66

Boat: IP38 cutter
OK, now that I'm buying a 55# Rocna, selling the 35# CQR and the 45# Bruce, any reason not to put the Fortress on the bow next to the Rocna (provided it'll fit the roller)? I've had a few people tell me to just put the Rocna up there and keep the Fortress in a locker to assemble and use as a "storm anchor". Seems to me that it'd be more useful on the bow where it can be easily deployed...

Another Q: In addition to the 55# Rocna and Fortress FX-37 on the bow, I'm thinking about hanging a smaller Danforth on the stern as a "lunch hook". Any size recommendations? Boat is 41' overall, displaces 22,000, weighs 28,000 dry (confirmed by scale 3 days ago).
Old 31-01-2011, 18:48   #67
Marine Service Provider

If it'll fit and not get in the way!
We don't like two anchors on the bow generally, in our experience the second's never necessary and it usually leads to a compromise with the primary. But whatever works for you.
Old 31-01-2011, 20:39   #68

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
One good anchor on the bow.... along with a good shock ubsorbing preventer. Try one of the smaller ones as a kedge and see if it will work for you. Trade all the rest for some other useful piece of gear.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:45   #69
Sponsoring Vendor

DW,

On the last page of the attached brochure, you will find a set up by Tom Neale for his 53' motorsailor with two anchors (Fortress & CQR) mounted on his bow.

Tom is a longtime boating author & writer here in the USA, and he has lived aboard since 1979 with his wife Mel. They cruise 3,000 - 5,000 miles per year.

Regards,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Attached Files
File Type: pdf How_to_Survive_a_Storm_at_Anchor.pdf (371.6 KB, 37 views)
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor