Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2011, 04:34   #46
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Anchor threads, always worth some fun.

I always find it interesting when someone give cost as a reason. But we are talking about $200-300 for something that is so important for a cruising boat, which in my area is like 4-6 nights at a mooring.

It always seems to be apparent that if you only anchor once in a while during a weekend sail the anchor you have is good. But if you are going to use your anchor a lot and have really depend on it then you should get the biggest/baddest anchor you can and a couple dollars is cheap!

I vote for the Roca and the Fortness in this thread.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 05:51   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Now I don't disagree with Gordie ...
... pound/pound a 33 cannot compare to a 55 and size does matter even in anchoring.
Always a good policy.
Rocna anchors are sized in kilograms, hence a 25 weighs 55 pounds, and a 33 weighs 74 pounds.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:21   #48

Boat: Boatless Again
after dragging on a Bruce for 10 years, +1 on keeping the rocna and fortress, and selling off the Bruce and CQR.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:30   #49
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
And how does a 19# Fortress get those amazing holding figures? Mark
Mark,

I am glad you asked! We use precision-machining to sharpen the anchors so that they will bury very deeply in common sea bottoms among the fossils and dinosaur bones. That along with the large surface area of the two flukes adds up to greater resistance to pulling out, and in turn incredible holding power.

May I also make a case to DWJensen for keeping the FX-37?

It is the most battle-tested anchor that we manufacture. In addition to its top performance in all of the independent anchor tests, the FX-37 has been the primary anchor aboard the US Coast Guard's 41' and 47' boats for many years, and it is the primary anchor aboard their new "state of the art" 45' Response Boat Medium (RBM).

The FX-37 has the adjustable fluke angle feature (32 to 45), and that 45 angle will dramatically improve the holding power in the soft mud bottoms of the Chesapeake Bay. We exhibit at the US Sailboat Show every year in Annapolis, and we talk with many experienced boaters in the area who regularly use that feature, and only the Fortress has it.

We have an FX-37 in our lobby that was returned to us by a customer from the Miami area after Hurricane Andrew. This FX-37 held their 42' Silverton with a 25,000 lb displacement in winds reaching 140 mph that lasted for 3 hours.

My calculator ran out of zeroes when I tried to figure out the load, or force, that the anchor endured.

The flukes got mangled pretty well when they tried to retrieve it, as it must have been stuck on the core of the earth. I can send pics if you care to see them.

We are familiar with the sand bottoms in the Bahamas and Caribbean, which are in our backyard here in south Florida, and you can expect the FX-37 to perform admirably well for you in those bottoms when duty calls.

I hope this information sways the vote!

Be safe,
Brian Sheehan

Fortress Marine Anchors
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:56   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortress View Post
We use precision-machining to sharpen the anchors so that they will bury very deeply in common sea bottoms among the fossils and dinosaur bones. That along with the large surface area of the two flukes adds up to greater resistance to pulling out, and in turn incredible holding power.
That is exactly what I experienced. I couldn't get my other anchors (pre-Rocna) to hold in a hard, packed sand area in the Bahamas. I finally got it to grip but changing wind made it pop out as I swung around.

So I got out the Fortress and deployed it. It sliced through the hard sand with those sharp edges and grabbed right away. Swinging maintained a perfect hold for 5 days. I was sold.

I have to give the full story too - I mentioned before how great Fortress was as a company. Well the next year we switched to the FX55 in Charleston heading south to the Bahamas - I had learned to switch there. When leaving St. Augustine after being at the city marina for the first time I got nailed by the incredible current pushing us sideways. All I could do to maintain control was to put my bow against the concrete piling and use it to pivot against. My entire 80,000 lb boat used that Fortress as the point. It ended up bending the shank. It was a terrible situation and I've learned to be careful in St. Augustine.

So I'm in Ft. Lauderdale a couple of days later and a friend makes me lower the anchor into his truck. He heads over to the Fortress offices near there with money from me to replace the shank. They replace the shank, refuse the money, and polish up the entire anchor. I called them and said that it was my fault and I wanted to pay. They said that their anchor shouldn't ever bend and it was warranted for life.

I wish Fortress would make windlasses, engines, outboards, and entire boats. I'd buy anything they ever made and will tell everyone I know this story. Most companies could learn a lesson from this.
ActiveCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 07:59   #51
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Old 19-01-2011, 08:02   #52

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
I don't think anyone recommended against having a Fortress

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 08:16   #53

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Nope.... not swayed... my Bruces have served me well in the UK, Med, Caribbean, USA.... its not what you've got... its how you use it...
Old 19-01-2011, 09:12   #54
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
I wish Fortress would make windlasses, engines, outboards, and entire boats. I'd buy anything they ever made and will tell everyone I know this story. Most companies could learn a lesson from this.
Thanks for the kind words Jeffrey. Very much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I don't think anyone recommended against having a Fortress. Mark
That good-looking guy with the stylish hat in post #3 did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Nope.... not swayed... my Bruces have served me well in the UK, Med, Caribbean, USA.... its not what you've got... its how you use it...
So, so true. If everyone started with the right size anchor for their boat and simply "power set" it by backing down hard, and then used a good amount of scope, they'd be "A-OK" in most conditions.

Be safe,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
Old 19-01-2011, 09:19   #55

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
That good-looking guy with the stylish hat in post #3 did.
Be safe,
Brian

Fortress Marine Anchors
OOhhhhh.... your so SMMOOOOOTTTHHHHHHH........
I'm still not buying one...
Old 19-01-2011, 09:27   #56
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
OOhhhhh.... your so SMMOOOOOTTTHHHHHHH........
I'm still not buying one...
But I am going to buy one of those hats. I like the darker color as it will not show the sweat stains as badly as those lighter color ones.
Old 19-01-2011, 09:32   #57

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
But I am going to buy one of those hats. I like the darker color as it will not show the sweat stains as badly as those lighter color ones.
Australian Bush hat... allegedly kangaroo skin.
Old 19-01-2011, 09:38   #58

Boat: Allures 44
Quote:
Its not what you've got... its how you use it...
So why did you trade in your previous anchor for a Bruce?
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2011, 10:13   #59

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
So why did you trade in your previous anchor for a Bruce?
My 1st boat had a Danforth and an old Seagull O/B.... One morning after stopping for a cooked B/fast at a Cafe just inside Poole Harbour on the Studland side I went to start the engine.. as usual... no joy so went through the rountine... while it was in bits the tide turned and the anchor flipped getting a pebble caught... now the tide there is pretty fierce and next thing we were being swept into the Harbour entrance.. no engine and not enough wind for the genny to do anything except flap... in no time what soever we were berthed alongside the chain ferry in the middle of the channel... great amusement for the passengers... great embarrassment for me.... never used a Danforth or Seagull since...
Oh.... great fun for the inshore lifeboat which had to tow me off as well....lol
Old 19-01-2011, 10:25   #60
Sponsoring Vendor

I posted a story from a sailor who had a similar circumstance to boatman61's in the Bahamas. Have a looksy at post #92:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...el-3037-7.html

Brian
Fortress Marine Anchors

Tags
anchor