Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2014, 08:57   #1

Anchor for Chesapeake

I have a 1985 Mainship 40 double cabin and will cruise the Chesapeake. Current primary anchor is Hooker 22 that came with boat. Is this an accepyable primary for Chesapeake ? If not suggestions for better primary. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Piturman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:21   #2

Re: Anchor for Chesapeake

That's a Danforth knock off right? Your Mainship has a lot of windage, I would want a bigger anchor. Having said that, the Danforth style anchor has a lot more holding power than many others so your 22# may have as much holding as a 45# other design. They can tangle with the rode at times and dont do wind shifts that well. (what does?)
My somewhat limited experience on the Chesapeake says the bottom is often muddy, and the Hooker style should be pretty good for that.
Bottom line I would like to see a little bigger anchor on that boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:24   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Do You need a really serious anchor, or the lunch hook only, for occasional hour or two spent in pleasant sorroundings?

Even by Hooker's own sizing chart they recommend #40 (actually 43 lbs) for the 40 footer. This anchor is almost 70% heavier as #22 (actually 25 lbs )...
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:29   #4

Serious anchor for overnighters and potential weather issues.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

And what is displacement of Your boat (fully loaded - best estimation)?
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piturman View Post
Serious anchor for overnighters and potential weather issues.
In that case I would want either a Danforth style like you have only in the 35-40# range or purchase one of the newer style anchors in appropriate size. Everyone will have an opinion on which is best. The only one I would avoid in mud would be the Bruce or it's knockoffs.
At a reasonable price I'd go with a big Delta for it's easy setting. For bigger bucks one of the new gen anchors.
Can anyone confirm my limited knowledge that the Ches is muddy alot of places?
Maybe focus on an anchor that's good in mud if that's confirmed.. no anchor will hold better than a Danforth, but they arent as user friendly as some anchors...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:38   #7

24,000 lbs
Old 02-03-2014, 09:47   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So I would go with something like Mantus 65 lb anchor as a primary, retaining the present anchor as a handy kedge

Best regards

Tomasz

P.S.

I just realised You are new member here

WELCOME ! ! !
Old 02-03-2014, 09:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

I grew up on the bay using a danforth and haVing cauSed the bay for hundreds of days and anchored in many situations I woRk go with the danforth. A22 wuth a lOt of chAin will hold you in most conditions but is only barely adequate and I would go larger. Keep in mind that you will usually be in shallow water. ..it is important to use more than a7:1 scope in shoal water because you need a certain amount for catenary...a minimum. .... and it will often come up very muddy and oozry so Clean well. .
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:06   #10

Thank you DoubleWhisky and the others for your help. I'm looking forward to many years on this forum.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:18   #11

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

Go mantus or manson. Resets easily.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:52   #12

Boat: Bristol 41.1

I have lots of experience anchoring on the Chesapeake and tributaries. Bottom conditions vary in the extreme; everything from sticky mud, clay, broken oyster shells, seaweed, some sand, gravel, etc.

If you want to see broken/bent Danforth anchors, visit the Bay. I would not recommend a Danforth for anything other than a lunch hook or kedge.

For a boat as heavy, and with as much windage as you have, an anchor in the 55-75 pound (minimum) range would be a better choice. And I would only choose from one of the SHHP (Super High Holding Power) anchors i.e., Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc. Anchor weight also has to be coordinated with how long a shot of chain you are using. Visit the manufacturer's pages for recommendations.

I would also recommend a wash down system for when you are retrieving the hook. Some of that bottom muck smells pretty foul and makes a mess of the foredeck.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 13:36   #13
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I have lots of experience anchoring on the Chesapeake and tributaries. Bottom conditions vary in the extreme; everything from sticky mud, clay, broken oyster shells, seaweed, some sand, gravel, etc.

If you want to see broken/bent Danforth anchors, visit the Bay. I would not recommend a Danforth for anything other than a lunch hook or kedge.

For a boat as heavy, and with as much windage as you have, an anchor in the 55-75 pound (minimum) range would be a better choice. And I would only choose from one of the SHHP (Super High Holding Power) anchors i.e., Rocna, Manson, Spade, etc. Anchor weight also has to be coordinated with how long a shot of chain you are using. Visit the manufacturer's pages for recommendations.

I would also recommend a wash down system for when you are retrieving the hook. Some of that bottom muck smells pretty foul and makes a mess of the foredeck.
I know nothing about the Chesapeake - so must be one of the best people to comment

If weight is an issue I'd be throwing Fortress into the mix - or do those that sail there have reasons not to use one. If a Danforth works then a Fortress should be better (and lighter). Many of the suggestions are for a roll bar anchor - I would have thought they would be avid mud collectors and you would need not only a strong wash down pump but a garden trowel as well, again what experience do people have when using roll bar anchors in the area.

Roll bar anchors might not fit on the bow roller and if there is to a be a cost of modification I'd put the money into a decent Spade. But then I'd recommend a Spade over a roll bar anchor simply as the Spade is not such a mud and weed collector.

Compacted mud and weed in the fluke of a roll bar anchor - and from reading the posts the Chesapeake looks perfect for the situation to develop - then a roll bar anchor will choke and could not be relied on to reset and hold in a tide or wind shift.

Why do Danforths bend so easily, or is it copy Danforths that bend?

Jonathan

And welcome to the forum
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 14:47   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Having been born and raised on the Chesapeake, there aren't many places I haven't anchored in my 50 years of boating. Our recent cruise covered most of the Bay from Chesapeake City to Hampton Roads, both the eastern and western shores. The Danforth is a good anchor in sand or mud UNLESS you have a shift in winds or currents. They do not reset well and you might find yourself dragging ashore. In the Summer months, sudden thunderstorms can bring 180 degree wind shifts and gusts to 30 and 40 knots. You want something you can depend on. We used a CQR for over 17 years but have recently switched to the new generation anchors. Our Manson Supreme has proved itself over and over in almost any conditions encountered on the water. We highly recommend this type for the Chesapeake and most other boating areas. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 15:10   #15

Boat: Devlin 48 Moon River & Marshal Catboat

Thunderstorms common with 180 shift need a good reset anchor if you want best for location get a new gen digging type spade-ronca-manson-mantus most other types will drag or not reset or bend shank. etc. all others not up to the job. Been there done that.
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor