Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2008, 12:07   #1

Boat: Niagara 31
Anchor/Chain replacement

Hi,
I am looking to replace the old anchor and chain on my Niagara 31. I was looking at the Rocna 10 for an anchor. Their website suggests this size for my boat (~9000lbs). Is this really big enough for the Pacific Northwest? Also, is 5/16th chain the right size to use? I am looking to have ~75-100 ft of chain with 200 ft of rode. What is the best way to "cleat"?? off or secure the chain as I usually will be anchoring with only the chain out? Any help would be much appreciated.
Gulfislander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 12:25   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Bruce suggested a 22lb anchor for my 30ftr would be storm worthy. I went to 33lbs, and slept like a baby.

I use 5/16 h.t. chain on my 46ft. cat. You should be good on the chain, and I haven't looked at the Rocna site.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 12:56   #3
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
I have no personal experience with the Rocna anchor, but with many anchors it is a good idea to go one size up from the manufacturer's recommendations (lets face it, it is fairly cheap insurance and the Pacific Northwest can get rather windy). I am assuming you do not have a windlass and have no worries about matching the chain size/type with your capstan. In any case, 5/16 should be quite adequate.

Regardless of whether or not you have a windlass, you will likely want a chainstopper - Windline makes one with approx. 5000 lb capability (your anchor will likely drag long before reaching that level) with a removable slotted cam. You should then consider running a nylon line with a c-hook through the chain and and snubbed tight to the forward mooring cleat, leaving some slack in the chain.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 12:59   #4

Thanks. This helps a lot.
Old 13-03-2008, 13:45   #5

Boat: Trismus 37
There is quite a range of anchors to choose from, there has been a very active thread re anchors on this site, but if you read Seafox's last post the search function wont help you find it. Bueghel, Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade are all of the "new" generation of anchors, and are all a step up from earlier types, If you considered them all to be within 5% of each other in anchoring ability you would have to decide by price, the Supreme would have to be the best value for money, the Rocna does an equally good job but is dearer, the Spade can be had in aluminium or galvanised steel and the stock can be removed for stowage (be sure to use a new nyloc nut when reassembling it, or drill and pin the bolt ) but is I believe more expensive than the supreme or the rocna as it has quite a complicated manufacturing process. Chain, avoid Chinese made!!
I'm sure Gmac will probably come in with some good advice.
Steve Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 15:35   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you need to tie off all chain the best way is to make bridle. Start with a chain grabbing plate. Flat thick Stainless with a long slot and two holes. You then attach shackles to the holes and run lines back to fair leads on the bow and secure to either side of the bow. You grab the chain in the slot of the plate and lower the chain until all the stress is on the bridle. It lowers the scope just a tad and makes a nice strong secure rode.

I've also just spliced a 3 strand line to a chain hook and grab the chain and let it out so no stress is on the windlass and it's all on the lead.

You never leave the stress on the windlass.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 19:28   #7

Boat: Woods 40' catamaran
I'd go for 1/4" chain on a 31' moderate displacement boat. Use a nylon snubber rope attached to the chain to take the load off the windlass. Use a chain hook, rolling hitch or the plate suggested.
Evan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 01:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Anchor Chain Grip Hook (Wichard) and Bridle Plate (ABI):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorChainGrip.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	2958  
Attached Images

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 20:27   #9

Thanks, you all have been very helpful.
Old 18-03-2008, 10:35   #10
Marine Service Provider

G'day Gulfislander. On my 32fter of some 7000lb I have a Alloy 60 Spade 15mts of 7mm chain (pretty much the same a s US 1/4" HT) followed by 12mm Polyester Brait. I don't have a winch, an Anchor Wench I do, if said out of her earshot.

I use the Spade due to it's weight while I'm in Race mode, it works well. I've had a Rocna 10 on for a few months and had zero issue with it, it also worked very well. I would like to go to a Rocna 8 but they don't make one. The 6 is a fraction lite even for me. I do have gear lighter than most similar boats, don't take this one offshore but do extended open water coastal and race it often.

I'd say with the 5/16" chain and a Rocna 10 you'd be well parked. If for a bit of extra peace of mind I don't see any problem going up to a 15 and then you'll be very well parked. Actually the 15 on the rope and chain you suggest would be a very good system and I don't see any reason to up size anything more.

Almost all common shackles are made in china now. The loads can be surprisingly low but then failures are not common. All ways go to the biggest size you can fit. You could find a Green Pin which are a hi-load shackle and very reliable.

As for a Snubber if you follow Pblais advice you'll be all good to go. Some just use a single line but as Snubbers are prone to chafe if not watched having 2 legs does give you some level of 'redundancy', all ways a handy thing in 50kts. There are some off-the-shelf hooks you can use. The Wichard Gord shows is an interesting item. The lock pin can be handy to stop it falling off during deployment but I suspect it could be bent if your not careful.

I like your thinking Gulfislander and agree you're on the right track.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor