Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What are you using as an Anchor Chain Hook ?
Captain Hook 2 1.50%
ABI Chain Grabber / Sea-Dog Chain Grabber 8 6.02%
Eye Grab Hook 40 30.08%
Mantus Chain Hook 18 13.53%
Other 17 12.78%
Seadog Chain Gripper 5 3.76%
ULTRA Chain Grab 6 4.51%
Victory Chain Hook 5 3.76%
Wichard Chain Grip Hook 9 6.77%
Winchard Key Shackle 3 2.26%
Rolling hitch knot 20 15.04%
Klemheist Knot 5 3.76%
Home Made Chain Grab 9 6.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 15:12   #76
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
Re: Anchor Chain Hook Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Just got the Mantus Chain Hook, used it a couple of times but no big wind to test it. Was using a Wichard Snap Shackle. It's very beefy, can't imagine it would ever break.
I wish I could use a Wichard snap shackle. We had one and it bent the pin during a blow. It was a real pain pounding the pin out and in the mean time there was a serious amount of stress put on my anchor roller.

That Mantus chain hook looks very good. I hope all the guys using them keep us posted on how well they work.
Old 01-01-2013, 15:15   #77

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

We use an eye grab hook.

Haven't had one "slip" off. Took a short chunk of my 3/8 HT chain to the chandlery and tried out different size hooks before selecting a size that fits snug but is still removable. All hooks are not created equal.

We adjust it so the hook is just out of the water in dead calm, with a chain-loop of approx 2.5 ft. Means we've roughly 10 ft of 5/8 3-strand twixt hook and cleat. Chunk of 3" fire hose for chaff protection on the bow roller.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:22   #78

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
It was a real pain pounding the pin out and in the mean time there was a serious amount of stress put on my anchor roller.
You should carry a second one rigged and ready.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:27   #79

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I'm not wild about the idea of any chain grabber that could possible jam or bend, or requires you to reach out and release something from a chain under great strain. You want something that will do what you want it to do in the pitch black on a pitching bow.
Old 01-01-2013, 16:41   #80

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Has anyone even mentioned a pelican hook?
Old 01-01-2013, 16:41   #81

Boat: PT-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I'm not wild about the idea of any chain grabber that could possible jam or bend, or requires you to reach out and release something from a chain under great strain. You want something that will do what you want it to do in the pitch black on a pitching bow.
Well, when you find one that does that and doesn't present a risk of dropping off, let us know. I have the Kong shackle and setting the pin is indeed a PITA hanging over the cross-beam, but it is secure and strong. I have a second bridle with a basic hook always ready to go.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 16:42   #82

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Rolling hitch.
Old 01-01-2013, 17:11   #83

Boat: Lagoon 440

We use these, work very well, good option on a Cat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	urun_bosa_kancasi.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	52013  
Old 01-01-2013, 18:40   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This is almost a good as an Anchor Poll.

The method & hardware that might work for one is not necessarily right for all. I think that the closer your vessel gets to a 'ship' the more you will probably use stantard heavy forged load rated grab hooks. My boat is 55,000 disp. and 36 tons on the hook. I carry 220 feet of 7/16 BBB on a 121# Rocna primary and 600 feet of nylon on my secondary. I have a below deck horizpntal windlass Maxwell H-3000. The last thing I want to fool with is a possibly dodgy piece of kit that might bend or break. Some of the hardware shown can wedge to the chain like it was welded & others break. I have used some of the hooks proposed as boom brakes and preventors and opened them up. Your chain should be the weakest link in your ground tackle and everything else needs to exceed that.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 18:55   #85

Agree all equipment should be sized for use that's a given, from memory our 'ULTRA' chain grab has a SWL of 16 tonne, our boat cannot generate that load so we sleep well.
Old 01-01-2013, 19:01   #86

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Troup View Post
The general use of snubbers on cruising yachts is a fairly recent development

I'm guessing this arises from a combination of some or all of the following: increased aversion to perceived risk and discomfort and noise, the megaphone effect of the www, the general use of light or ultra-light chain, boats with lightly built foredecks, and the fact that typical designers and builders no longer provide sampson posts or towing bitts.
Eric Hiscock describes and recommends the use of a three strand nylon snubber in 'Cruising Under Sail' (1950/1965) on page 181. He uses a rolling hitch which is shown in plate 33E.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 19:07   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Eric Hiscock describes and recommends the use of a three strand nylon snubber in 'Cruising Under Sail' (1950/1965) on page 181. He uses a rolling hitch which is shown in plate 33E.

Bill
Certainly and in addition on the Queensland coast here in Australia snubbers go back 40 years that i'm aware of, many were set lightly to bend and release under heavy load to certainly wake those on board with the jolt.

On Cat's i've had one at 18 years ago so not classified 'recent'.

Cheers
Old 01-01-2013, 19:51   #88
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Well, much depends on chain amount and size, perhaps.

Never seen snubbers on fishing trawlers, coastal freighters, nor on sailing ships.b.

I have seen and used snubber anchor bridals on all types of commercial vessels from offshore tugs, rig support vessels to fish packers anchored in roadsteads, as well as Super-yachts.

Most of the time, larger vessels will simply relieve the stress off the windlass with chain stopper. Ship

My own practice if roadstead weather is building on high-windage 500 to 900 ton displacement Super yachts, is to use same type of bridle as I use on SG, but much heavier.

Primary purpose of snubber with bridle is to minimize the dynamic behavior of swinging and yawing in tidal conditions that can actually create a break-away sheer on ground tackle, when chain is nipped on bow and vessel is sheering away at 3-5 knots.
Same reason on similar sized tugs anchored out with a tow behind them.
This link illustrates the forces:
Rode - Dynamic Behavior
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:14   #89

A poll such as this may show a high usage of a particular brand, method or style but at the end of the day all items other than a hitch are subject to availability.
Old 01-01-2013, 20:17   #90
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
......So this was the plan- anyway we dropped the first anchor rode off and let it clear the boat, then I freed the chain and let it run free and ran back to the helm both engines were running and as luck would have it we pulled forward about 20 feet.
Then one prop got caught in a small mooring line and hung us up and we lost power and steerage as the wind now caught us on the side and within seconds we would be in the rocks , I looked down and we were within 10 feet of the rocks now and I managed to pull the Jib out and it caught the wind with a bang that sounded like a shot gun - we shot out of there like a cannon ball, all the time keeping the wind close to the sail as not to blow it out- I made it – I was very did I say VERY lucky- that mistake cost me a few thousand in chain and anchor and dingy but that was a price I happily paid- the locals said they never seen a storm come up from that direction with that severity in 50 years-
Great recovery Ram….. Murphy definitely had your attention that day.
I have been caught in a Santorini blow as well.
Finding a safe anchorage when ordered to get off the pier by Harbor Master is not easy, as all of them are too deep and open from at least one direction.
Beautiful, but shitty place for a sailor!

Big reminder here for everyone, is to be ready to let everything go without tearing up the foredeck and making sure your weak-link at the bitter end of chain, will part easily as you may not have time to cut or buoy-off ground tackle.

Never thought about Multis anchoring in such shallow water being a problem with keeping chain grabbers on.

But I guess the anchor bridal is needed more as a normal system because of wide beam. However, if on a mono, I felt I needed a bridle snubber because of weather, I would not be in shallow water.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, poll