Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What are you using as an Anchor Chain Hook ?
Captain Hook 2 1.50%
ABI Chain Grabber / Sea-Dog Chain Grabber 8 6.02%
Eye Grab Hook 40 30.08%
Mantus Chain Hook 18 13.53%
Other 17 12.78%
Seadog Chain Gripper 5 3.76%
ULTRA Chain Grab 6 4.51%
Victory Chain Hook 5 3.76%
Wichard Chain Grip Hook 9 6.77%
Winchard Key Shackle 3 2.26%
Rolling hitch knot 20 15.04%
Klemheist Knot 5 3.76%
Home Made Chain Grab 9 6.77%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 13:50   #106

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Anchor Chain Hook Poll

We have an advantage with our winch and chain locker being at the mast base, the chain running over the foredeck (walkway) for some 2.4metres makes it so easy to connect a snubber/bridle in conditions foul.

Our previous mono's had less than a metre of run which was also in the forward overhang making anchor work in a pitching sea difficult.

A direct connection of chain to bitts/cleat/winch will drive you crazy and likely destroy the connection, we use 1inch nylon on our bridle which has a great dampening effect.

Boats on the Australian coast tend to use chain with silver the dampening effect of a combo rope chain rode negating the need for a snubber.

Reef work brings problems of chafe and chain is the go, snubbers become essential. Most use a chain hook or hitch there have not been many other choices in Australia in the past.

Along with bitts the demise of winches capable of handling rope/chain rodes is lamented.
Old 03-01-2013, 13:56   #107
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I use the eye grab hook, why its called an eye grab has me beat as it does not grab an eye but holds the whole link.
It's a hook on one end with an eye on the other. The eye is where you splice the snubber.

In most hardware stores, at least in the USA, it's just called a "Galvanized Chain Hook."
Old 03-01-2013, 14:18   #108
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
Previous to the Ultra we shackled onto the chain but we enjoy the simplicity of the Ultra hook and it seems to stay put in slack shallow anchorages i.e. 3metre minimum.

Cheers
There are many answers because there are many boats and situations. I use several, depending. For example....

3 meters is not shallow. Most of the Chesapeake Bay is less that 3 meters and few harbors are that deep. 1 meter is shallow, 1 1/2 is typical for me, and 2 meters is quite deep. Perhaps 50% of the time, my bridle will be on the bottom if the wind dies. Thus my hook spends uncountable hours bouncing, finding ways to come loose. If it requires 1000 bounces to come off, that's nothing.

Different horses for different courses.
Old 03-01-2013, 14:28   #109

That's true, here in Croatia we commonly anchor in 15+ metres, there are shallower places but not that many. After a dozen or so anchorages at 15 metres if we see 3 metres come up on the sounder whilst checking our chosen spot we quickly retreat...LOL

Cheers
Old 03-01-2013, 14:41   #110

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Here in the Eastern USA we can find a lot of good anchorages in the 1.55 metres (5 feet) range. The problem I run into is that our bridal is 6 metres (20 feet) per side and it will drag on the bottom with no wind and release it self, so an Eye Grab Hook will fall off if it does not have a positive lock on it. Need a positive lock eye grab hook.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 14:51   #111

Boat: Finnsailer 38

When I owned a shallow draft cat I used a rolling hitch to create the bridle and it could drag on the bottom and wouldn't come off. Even in deeper anchorages or on a mono if you let out a long length of snubber it might very well end up on the bottom. I've had chain hooks release before, but as someone pointed out they usually only do that in calm conditions when it really isn't a problem.
Old 03-01-2013, 15:04   #112

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
Big opportunity here for Mantus?
I think so, I've looked at several and the Mantus is the heaviest best constructed I've seen. There is no positive lock but it takes a very distinct move to get it off the chain (and it can be done single handed).

I'm thinking if one is afraid of it coming apart due to long bridle on a cat laying on the bottom, a 1" long piece of 1/2" fuel hose wedged into the intersection would stop any casual disconnect. The fuel hose would stay in place due to it's own memory.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 15:42   #113

The Ultra is angled back and the section that snubs up behind the chain is curved, it hasn't let go yet.

Pic's attached show our experiments using a rubber snubber on the bridle and bridle shackled to chain with a captive pin.

All piled up in 3 metres in a typically weedy bay on HVAR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2614.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	52137   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3375.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	52138  

Name:	DSCN3376.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	52139  
Old 03-01-2013, 16:33   #114

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I think so, I've looked at several and the Mantus is the heaviest best constructed I've seen. There is no positive lock but it takes a very distinct move to get it off the chain (and it can be done single handed).

I'm thinking if one is afraid of it coming apart due to long bridle on a cat laying on the bottom, a 1" long piece of 1/2" fuel hose wedged into the intersection would stop any casual disconnect. The fuel hose would stay in place due to it's own memory.
What ever I do to make a positive lock has to be woman friendly, since my 1st mate does the anchoring and is not the strongest woman out there.
Old 03-01-2013, 16:39   #115
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')

We cannot use a long bridle ahead of our bows on our cat - we have a prodder (bowsprit in mono speak - why they are called prodders, no idea!) The prodder is held down with kicker wires (why kicker - no idea) that run from prodder end and are secured just above the waterline on the bow. A long bridle direct off the bow would need to be under or over the wires, if under the bridle would wear out over night in any wind and if over they would wear out in a few nights hanging loosely over the wires - hence our bridle starts at the transom horn cleats and is almost hull length + half the beam - about 13m each side. Our chain hook really only just touches the water (because most of our bridle/snubber is along the deck) and as we draw, about, 1m - even with a min of 2m water depth we can have a fair amount of slack chain as the bow roller is at about 1.5m above the water - so securing the hook by 'gravity'. We need a fair amount of slack anyway to cater for the stretch of the bridle.
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 16:51   #116

Boat: PT-11
That sounds complicated. We have a similar rig. The bridle attaches to the bows and goes over the sprit guys, which have PVC pipes over them for chafe protection. Our chafe issue is not the bridle lying gently on the guys but rather when an opposing current pulls the bridle under them.
SVNeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 17:08   #117

Community Sponsor

My bridal is bit different. I need the bridal to be long enough to be pulled into the anchor locker, so that is the 6 metres (20 feet) length per leg.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P7050186.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	52147   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7050187.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	393.2 KB
ID:	52148  

Name:	PB270021.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	398.0 KB
ID:	52149  
Old 03-01-2013, 17:16   #118
cruiser

Doesn't the car get wet when you are sailing?

I like the Mahe system, the chain and anchor exits under the bridge deck which keeps the bow clear (and clean). There are a number of cats with something similar. Ours is more conventional, runs through a channel above the trampoline, and we need attach the bridle 'ahead' of the cross beam. But I note you have no prodder.

When you lift the anchor I assume you look 'through' the tramp to see when it breaks the water?
Old 03-01-2013, 17:21   #119
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVNeko View Post
That sounds complicated. We have a similar rig. The bridle attaches to the bows and goes over the sprit guys, which have PVC pipes over them for chafe protection. Our chafe issue is not the bridle lying gently on the guys but rather when an opposing current pulls the bridle under them.
Its actually quite simple but really its the only way we could think of to maximise the snubber length. The snubbers run alongside furling lines and are less obtrusive than our jackstays. Assuming we stretch to 10% of length we have 1.3m of stretch each side, Cotemar with his 6m snubbers has only 600mm and has the possible disadvantage of the snubber sitting on the bottom. Most cat owners have 3m snubbers and basically 'no' stretch at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 17:49   #120

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJo View Post
When you lift the anchor I assume you look 'through' the tramp to see when it breaks the water?
Yes, its a clear view through the Tramp to see the bridal and anchor as it comes up

Tags
anchor, poll