Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2021, 01:29   #1

Anchor/Chain: 12 kg/50 m vs. 20 kg/42 m

Hi,

for a ~32' boat would you rather choose a smaller 12 kg (Vulcan) anchor with 50 m chain or else a 20 kg anchor with 42 m chain? In the latter case more chain is on board (but stowed away). Area: Northern Europe, UK.
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 01:46   #2

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.
Re: 12 kg/50 m vs. 20 kg/42 m

For that area I'd definitely choose the bigger anchor/shorter chain option; we sailed around a lot of UK, then the outside route to/around the Med with 40m of chain and whilst there were are few times we'd have perhaps 'liked' a bit more, there were only a couple of occasions when we actually 'needed' more. We never once felt we 'needed' bigger than our 20kg anchor (a few times I wished it were lighter ), but I'm damned sure that we would've done had we only been using a 12kg hook.
Old 24-10-2021, 01:59   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

In parts of the med 40 m is way too short , I’m in a 36 footer and I carry 65m , in shallow anchorages and stern toos you can need a shed load of chain to reliably hold.
Old 24-10-2021, 02:14   #4

I'd love to have 65 m chain but (too) heavy for a small boat?! Thus the thought to extend the primary chain with another chain if necessary.

Additional rope rode would also work. But, hmm, I must tell: I once lost an anchor due to rope chafe at the anchor roller and I'm quite hesitant now... At least I would need to think/learn more about how to avoid chafing.
Old 24-10-2021, 03:07   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
I'd love to have 65 m chain but (too) heavy for a small boat?! Thus the thought to extend the primary chain with another chain if necessary.

Additional rope rode would also work. But, hmm, I must tell: I once lost an anchor due to rope chafe at the anchor roller and I'm quite hesitant now... At least I would need to think/learn more about how to avoid chafing.
There are many threads on the rigging of snubbers, the use of which prevents chafe on your rope rode. If you find yourself chafing through lots of snubbers, it might be worth re-examining your foredeck layout and hardware.
Old 24-10-2021, 08:34   #6

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

20/70, I went for smaller but longer G80 chain and occasionally additional anchor weight. I don't feel well with rope chafing on rocks. G80 is made of alloy, much more corrosion and abrasion resistant. When you are in your first storm you will be happy
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 08:46   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu3534 View Post
Hi,

for a ~32' boat would you rather choose a smaller 12 kg (Vulcan) anchor with 50 m chain or else a 20 kg anchor with 42 m chain? In the latter case more chain is on board (but stowed away). Area: Northern Europe, UK.
Given the tidal ranges you are sailing in, I would choose the 50m of chain. Places like Alderney might be 10m when you arrive but the tide can make that 15m in a couple of ours. Previously we had to use the bank near the beach to reduce the depth. We anchored in Loch Drambuie last year and were in spitting distance of the shore. The anchor was in 14m of water and we worked hard to find that rather than deeper water.

We actually have 45m of chain and another 10m of rope with a 12Kg Vulcan. First season with it but worked well so far.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:00   #8

The bigger the hook , the better for me every time.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:07   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
The bigger the hook , the better for me every time.
You don't think 12kgs is big enough for a 32ft yacht
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:09   #10

If it started to blow during the night, I would sleep better with 20kg anchor than a 12kg one.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 09:12   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Selecting a larger anchor is nearly always much more efficient than adding weight to the rode as a way of improving the ultimate holding ability.

However, you need to consider the risk of chafe cutting rope rode. Unfortunately, with any rope rode that touches the bottom there is a risk of chafe on rocks, rubbish etc. It is amazing what is on the seabed.

Rope rode cannot survive the type of punishment shown below for long. Isolated crops of rocks such as this are not unusual even in popular anchorages.

Thinner G70+ chain is an option that worth considering although expect less durability from the galvanising. The small loss in holding ability of the lighter chain is usually easily made up by increasing the anchor size and often longer chain can be carried with still a weight saving despite increasing the size of the anchor.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 12:39   #12

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There are many threads on the rigging of snubbers, the use of which prevents chafe on your rope rode. If you find yourself chafing through lots of snubbers, it might be worth re-examining your foredeck layout and hardware.
Agree with this
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 12:40   #13

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
If it started to blow during the night, I would sleep better with 20kg anchor than a 12kg one.
Yep……
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 12:53   #14

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

20kg anchor.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2021, 13:17   #15

Thanks all, some further questions/remarks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
There are many threads on the rigging of snubbers, the use of which prevents chafe on your rope rode. ...
Good hint. I used snubbers with the chain but not with the rope rode (which chafed going through the bow-roller). I think an ordinary Brusik with two snubbers should fix this. Mantus has something similar (https://www.mantusmarine.com/product/snubber-pendant/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
20/70, I went for smaller but longer G80 chain .. G80 is made of alloy, much more corrosion and abrasion resistant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thinner G70+ chain is an option that worth considering although expect less durability from the galvanising. ...
I'm quite unable to find such chains As a reference from svb24.com there is a 8 mm galvanised chain, 1.35 kg/m, breaking load 3200 kg, € 6.05/m. Ok, I found one 8 mm G70 chain here (https://jimmygreen.com/863-mf-dams-grade-70), there is no weight given, but I suppose it's not lighter (only stronger)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
.. I would choose the 50m of chain. Places like Alderney might be 10m when you arrive but the tide can make that 15m in a couple of ours. .. in Loch Drambuie .. The anchor was in 14m of water ..
Pete
Thanks for the example, ..but with 15 m and 1:5 scope a 50 m chain wouldn't suffice. That's a bit my "fear", that 40 or 50 meter doesn't make a big diffference as it is often too little anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
We actually have 45m of chain and another 10m of rope with a 12Kg Vulcan...
What would you do if this is not sufficient?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Selecting a larger anchor is nearly always much more efficient than adding weight to the rode as a way of improving the ultimate holding ability. ..
Unfortunately, with any rope rode that touches the bottom there is a risk of chafe on rocks, rubbish etc. It is amazing what is on the seabed. Rope rode cannot survive the type of punishment shown below for long.
Is it likely that rope that comes after ~40 m chain touches the bottom?

Regarding image: one wonders how this chain/anchor can ever be rescued again! Woah!