Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2020, 15:08   #46

Re: Anchor bridle aka snubber - advise please

The point of a snubber is to take shock loads off the chain, not to replace the chain at the inboard end. Therefore the rope should be something that stretches, i.e., nylon, and don't make it too thick. For a boat the size of the OP's I would not go larger than 12mm. Nylon can stretch by up to 40% before it breaks. Dyneema does not stretch at all. Using two bits of rope only halves the effectiveness of the shock-absorbtion.

Put a big spliced loop on one end, with plastic tube as a chafe preventer, to go over the samson post or a convenient cleat. Splice a chain hook on the other end, preferably with a thimble and shackle.

Let out the necessary length of chain, attach the hook, and veer more chain so that it hangs in a loop when the snubber is taking the strain. Then in the unlikely event that the snubber breaks the chain will still hold the ship.

Sleep tight!
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 15:29   #47

Boat: 1984 Catalina 36

For me, I have found that using line tied to the chain is about the quickest most reliable method. I use a modified rolling hitch called an icicle hitch. Quick to tie, easy to untie. If I want a bridle, I tie on two. Learning how to tie a rolling hitch or an icicle hitch can really save you later if you lose your windlass or your anchor is stuck. Just run a line back to your bigger jib winches and crank away.
Old 26-10-2020, 16:01   #48

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paroo2020 View Post
Unless you are doing this for a Cat I don't personally recommend this. I recently set this up on my yacht only to find myself going all over the place as the boat would drive over one side and then the other, especially bad when wind and tide are against one another.
Cheers
Tony
I found the opposite, a double bridle reduced the swing compared to a single. Like a lot of things with sailing it depends on the yacht and the circumstances.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 16:44   #49

Thumbs up Re: Anchor bridle aka snubber - advise please

Maybe my rope bridle was too short. causing the yacht to "sail" around in a harbour anchorage, particularly with strong tides and winds. This might not apply offshore where this is little or no tidal effect.

I find a single rope over the bow roller works well.
Paroo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 17:02   #50

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
I found the opposite, a double bridle reduced the swing compared to a single. Like a lot of things with sailing it depends on the yacht and the circumstances.
Yup, me too. My bridle definitely dampens any swinging or sailing that happens. The other nice thing with the bridle is that you can easily adjust for a differing angle for wind, wave and current. Just shorten one side to angle the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
For me, I have found that using line tied to the chain is about the quickest most reliable method. I use a modified rolling hitch called an icicle hitch. Quick to tie, easy to untie. If I want a bridle, I tie on two. Learning how to tie a rolling hitch or an icicle hitch can really save you later if you lose your windlass or your anchor is stuck. Just run a line back to your bigger jib winches and crank away.
Yup, me too . I tie the rolling hitch, usually with at least three wraps, then I add in an extra hitch to lock it off. Easy, simple, effective. And no need for additional hardware.
Old 28-10-2020, 14:22   #51

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

On our Outremer 45, we use 25 foot long 3 strand with loops at both ends. I use a single 12 mil dynnema soft shackle at the chain end of the bridles,this allows deployment and retrieval from the safety of the net because the unit passes easily over the bow roller.
This set up usually provides enough snubbing. When more is required I attach my paited dock lines which are quite stretchy and fasten them to the stern cleat which gives me about a 60 snubber . Works well for us
Old 29-10-2020, 11:12   #52

Boat: Beneteau 473

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul54 View Post
Two thumbs up Paul. I've never understood the need for such "gadgetry" as we see nowadays regarding snubbers, for what is the most affordable and the simplest thing to accomplish.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle, lease