Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2020, 19:01   #31

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: Anchor bridle aka snubber - advise please

My snubber consists of two nylon lines with each having a rubber shock absorber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2024_zpspht0ausq.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	225606  
Old 20-10-2020, 21:04   #32

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I've only had the hook fall of once. (so far).

I loosen the chain between the hook, and the windlass until I see a visible loop, and hold the retrieval line taught until the weight of the chain is on the hook.

This is the method I use, a simple rated load chain hook spliced to the snubber, let out chain to the approx length required, hook onto chain and let out more chain as required while feeding out snubber as well, cleat off snubber and continue feeding out approx 4 metres of chain which hangs as a large loop between roller and chain hook. Works and doesn't fall off, the only caveat is the hook must at all times be clear of the bottom.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 00:48   #33

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

We have a Mantus bridle and attach it to the chain with a dyneema soft shackle (make them ourselves). The shackle takes a moment to put on and holds. Our current shackle is the original one we started using when we left Denmark 4 1/2 years ago. It has held up to over 1000 nights of use without showing any wear whatsoever.

A soft shackle has one great advantage over a metal hook or the like - should you ever need to bug out and release the snubber in a hurry - a knife cuts it in second.

I don't like hooks because I've seen them seize on the chain if the boat has been anchored in one spot for several weeks and there has been significant strain on the snubber

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2020, 04:24   #34

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

I used 2 separate 3/4” lines that attach to a mantis snubber pendant. Love the snubber pendant over the hook as it holds great to chain or rode and doesn’t let go like a hook. For my 20,000lb boat I got the largest one.....

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 13:49   #35

Snubber, but no bridle.

Its a 10mm nylon rode, on a chain grabber which I use to take all the load from foredeck to waterline.
But only a 31' lightweight.
I found twin V bridle a snare and delusion when stream and wind were 90 degrees apart, rolled too much.
chasfgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 14:21   #36

Boat: Hunter 410

I'll add a vote for simplicity with rolling hitches straight to the chain/rope rode. I use an old climbing rope, 200 feet or so in a big coil. I attach each end to the chain/rope (I have a combo rode) and pay out according to conditions. Each end then gets cleated to a bow cleat.

One nice aspect to this arrangement is that when the ends periodically get chafed enough to worry, I simply cut a few feet off. The super long climbing rope leaves plenty of unused line in between the ends being used for the snubber. Eventually, I'll have cut off enough that I'll need a new climbing rope, but probably not for a good while.
Old 23-10-2020, 15:58   #37

Mantis has two styles of chain hooked, neither one of them fall off, they both have a fail safe text device period I have one of each and prefer the new style better
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2020, 16:28   #38

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

2 main purposes of snubber, protect windlass from damage of force from loaded chain, second to give some stretch in rough conditions so anchor is not broken loose from bottom by bar tight chain. The second case is not likely in most conditions but when you need it most in bad weather it takes a fairly long nylon bridal to give enough stretch to cushion the anchor. Three strand stretches more than double braid. As far as chain hooks go some styles point load the link on the chain more than others. As I said before we used to use a rolling hitch to attach on our boat but testing by Practical Sailor showed that the very similar knot a camel hitch was more reliable. That being said I realize from past experience that casting dispersions on someone else’s favorite knot or anchor is worse than slapping their mother.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2020, 07:38   #39

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
I made my own bridle based in the dimensions of a Mantus bridle. 50' of 5/8" 3 strand line giving each leg 25'. (Plus a 5' length to use to braid the two legs together.) I did not put in an eye on the ends per a warning about the difficulty in freeing an eye from a cleat in a storm if required. I kept the line in one piece and braided a 5' section of strand taken from the excess to hold the two legs together. Start with strand's mid-section tight against the thimble, and back braid both halves up the main line effectively sewing the two legs together. This holds the heavy duty thimble in place. I also made a dyneema snubber encased in a double braid covering to connect the bridle to the anchor rode. (Chain or Line)
Would love to see a picture of your braid. I was considering using a single line around thimble however then connecting the two legs by wrapping / whipping together with amsteel.

Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 07:48   #40

Boat: Beneteau Farr 50

2004 Beneteau 50, 3/4” 8 strand nylon.
Finished = 2-30’ legs. + my choice of attachment to chain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6E89A4B8-1D00-4EEE-8ED8-89362EDEFF9F.jpeg
Views:	85
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	225869   Click image for larger version

Name:	5CE53ACE-D4DF-4360-98B1-3B525B7C92A7.jpeg
Views:	78
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	225870  

Name:	284B1389-2EBA-48B5-AE02-CC019DC53A51.jpeg
Views:	76
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	225871   Click image for larger version

Name:	E1B8018D-747B-4818-880C-61D28A4E5510.jpeg
Views:	81
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	225872  

Name:	3BC98801-C128-4DC6-919D-74CD7E8B73CB.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	225875  
carmarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 08:02   #41

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

I use the original Mantus bridle/hook for 5/16" chain. Works well...easy, reliable. I think Mantus has very reasonable prices and shipping, so I would buy another one before making it myself. I am not sure why the original hook is not available....did it jam on people?? I have had no problems with the 5/16" original hook during typical 1-5 night stays on the hook. Good to read about all the other ways of doing this. This is a great community.
ChrisPuget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 10:16   #42
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmarche View Post
2004 Beneteau 50, 3/4” 8 strand nylon.
Finished = 2-30’ legs. + my choice of attachment to chain.

The Brummel lock used to joint the two legs is neat, but is in fact a really poor choice for this application. There was a high profile failure of this construction that contributed death of a sailor in the Clipper Race.

A Brummel is ONLY used to prevent a bury splice from loosening under zero load. it is no stronger than a knot and experiences a LOT more chafe than a good knot, since it works back and forth, sawing on the line, as the tension transfers from one leg to the other. Pretty, but weak.

Two eyes works (my favorite). A seizing can work. Mantus uses a Y-splice, giving it the strength of one leg. But not a brummel. You can be sure that when it breaks, it will be the splice that goes.

---
IMO, pretty snubbers are like pretty fender boards. Both should be consider expendable equipment that is replaced when worn. Emphasis should be on simple construction.
Old 26-10-2020, 11:23   #43

Boat: Beneteau Farr 50

https://youtu.be/t01TFlBmyQU
Besides... excess chafe really only would be experienced in dry conditions... being submerged would be well lubricated.
carmarche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 12:14   #44

Bridle spreads the load between two or more cleats/bollards. Snubber absorbs the shock loads. A bridle can reduce shock loads, I believe that a slightly asymmetric adjustment assists too. Chain lying on the sea floor acts as a snubber, as do purpose-made rubber links or hanging a weight on the line.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2020, 14:33   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by markguthrie View Post
I making up an anchor bridle, which I believe is also called a snubber. Here is my plan...wondering if anyone has any input.

- Two separate legs, 20' each, for port and starboard
- Weave in a thimble on each end with a loop on the opposite ends for the cleats
- Attach both of the thimble ends together with a shackle
- Use a hook to attach the shackle to the chain. https://www.e-rigging.com/three-eigh...evis-grab-hook

I have heard that Mantus has good solutions
latest, but not sure it is worth $115:
- https://www.mantusmarine.com/product...el-chain-hook/
Now only available in 1/4"
- https://www.mantusmarine.com/mantus-chain-hook/

Any input? And specifically, thoughts/ideas for attaching the shackle to the anchor chain. 53' Navigator
Unless you are doing this for a Cat I don't personally recommend this. I recently set this up on my yacht only to find myself going all over the place as the boat would drive over one side and then the other, especially bad when wind and tide are against one another.
Cheers
Tony
Paroo2020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, bridle, lease