Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2011, 15:40   #31

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Anchor and Mooring Ropes: What Are You Using ?

Cat-man-do... with tongue firmly in cheek, I wanted to point out that in your original post, lines are for boats and ropes are for sex... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 15:59   #32

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Cat-man-do... with tongue firmly in cheek, I wanted to point out that in your original post, lines are for boats and ropes are for sex... cheers, Capt Phil

Multipurpose
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 17:32   #33

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

I have decided I dont really need this, so here is the link for anyone chasing some.

Up for sale is a BRAND NEW 100m roll of 22mm very stylish and soft solid dark blue mooring/anchor rope. This is made from the worlds leading rope manufacturer and is the best you can get.
Old 23-11-2011, 21:46   #34
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do View Post
How about an anchor windlass that is chain only?

Chain is very expensive. To anchor in only 50 feet of water you will want 400' and maybe even 500' of chain. It's not used because you can "get away with less." it's used because it forms a natural catenary.. It straightens out and swoops back into a curve over and over without wearing out line, while absorbing a lot of shock. 100% chain is overkill.

Then he described a schooner he was on that had 400' of chain. They anchored in 200 feet of water, and put out all they had, because it's all abut the catenary.

The windlass simply was not strong enough to pull it up. They worked in shifts all day, manually pulling up 3 links at a time. It took the entire day to get the chain up -- and that wasn't nearly enough scope. They're lucky they didn't get caught in a storm.

They would have been far better off with a windlass, but more particularly, they would have been far better off with 45' chain (the length of the boat, and 1,000 feet of 8-plait. Put THAT in a windlass and they would have done a lot less work.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 21:47   #35
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Chain is very expensive. To anchor in only 50 feet of water you will want 400' and maybe even 500' of chain. It's not used because you can "get away with less." it's used because it forms a natural catenary.. It straightens out and swoops back into a curve over and over without wearing out line, while absorbing a lot of shock. 100% chain is overkill.

Then he described a schooner he was on that had 400' of chain. They anchored in 200 feet of water, and put out all they had, because it's all abut the catenary.

The windlass simply was not strong enough to pull it up. They worked in shifts all day, manually pulling up 3 links at a time. It took the entire day to get the chain up -- and that wasn't nearly enough scope. They're lucky they didn't get caught in a storm.

They would have been far better off with a windlass, but more particularly, they would have been far better off with 45' chain (the length of the boat, and 1,000 feet of 8-plait. Put THAT in a windlass and they would have done a lot less work.
I meant "far better off with a MANUAL windlass" -- sorry!
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 22:00   #36

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered

Quote:
Chain is very expensive. To anchor in only 50 feet of water you will want 400' and maybe even 500' of chain.
LOL
I draw 3ft
Why on earth would I anchor in 50 ft of water and why would I use 10:1 scope.

Quote:
and why the hell would I anchor in 200ft

Quote:
The windlass simply was not strong enough to pull it up.
Anchoring in 12 to 20 is more the norm for big multis which makes the windlass I have more than adequate
Old 23-11-2011, 22:01   #37
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I find full chain rode at scope 1:8 to 1:10 outrageous.

At 50' water depth I put in 250' chain maximum, so half of the 500' suggested. No trouble at all and seen it all up to cat5 hurricane (at that same single anchor and stay put)

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2011, 22:08   #38

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:

Raku,

Most of us and experienced cruisers in the waters of the Great Barrier Reef/Coral Sea/ Pacific Islands would not consider anything but all chain rode as primary anchor because of coral areas.

He is saying that his winch is set up for chain not chain/rope. Much of the time with a catamaran you are anchored in 30ft water although need to be capable of anchoring deeper.

Cat-man -do also has a descent sized Bow anchor (125lb manson) and his winch is sized to handle it.

cheers
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 11:13   #39

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 42 cat - previous 37' aluminum mono

I have double braid Samson Supper Strong anchor line for my stern anchor/drogue that I have been very happy with. I haven't used it in a blow, so cannot comment on the wear, but it's suppose to hold up very well.
Matt Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, mooring