Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2010, 08:14   #16
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
It's been a few years since I felt the need to use an anchor alarm. Were I to find myself concerned about dragging, my first impulse would be to upgrade my ground tackle.
Old 15-09-2010, 08:36   #17

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinescape View Post
i had to fit an external beeper on my gps because we could only just hear it from our bunk.

Great idea! Anyone know of a way to rig an external alarm to a Raymarine C70? I've tried using the LifeTag external alarm but it's not an option.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 09:19   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I love the high tech devices, but as a cruiser that set a mechanical anchor alarm for many years before GPS was available, I still depend upon "low tech". I still sometimes drop my dinghy anchor off by bow after my ground tackle is set and lead the line from this small mushroom anchor through the cowl vent above my forward head where, with ample slack, I tie the bitter end to a sauce pan sitting on the head floor. If I drag the mushroom anchor rode tightens and the sauce pan hits the ceiling. It's never failed me!
Old 15-09-2010, 10:05   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Were I to find myself concerned about dragging, my first impulse would be to upgrade my ground tackle.
I new my 55Kg Rocna was too small
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 11:01   #20

Boat: Custom Cutter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zarley View Post
For those who have trouble hearing the alarm go off, we use a baby monitor . KISS solution to a simple problem.
Thank you, Mark Zarley, for saving me unknown $$$ and time. I was just in the process of trying to figure out what sound amplifier to connect to the GPS in the pilot house so we won't have to take turns sleeping on the setee to hear the (weak) alarm sound from the GPS unit.
sailingmonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 11:05   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I love the high tech devices, but as a cruiser that set a mechanical anchor alarm for many years before GPS was available, I still depend upon "low tech". I still sometimes drop my dinghy anchor off by bow after my ground tackle is set and lead the line from this small mushroom anchor through the cowl vent above my forward head where, with ample slack, I tie the bitter end to a sauce pan sitting on the head floor. If I drag the mushroom anchor rode tightens and the sauce pan hits the ceiling. It's never failed me!
...and then again, the baby monitor requires batteries, while this one costs nothing - all you need is perhaps a strong heart
Old 15-09-2010, 11:19   #22
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Great idea! Anyone know of a way to rig an external alarm to a Raymarine C70? I've tried using the LifeTag external alarm but it's not an option.
Yes! See here - Tech-X
I've got one for the radar alarm on sl72. Fit whatever buzzer you want, fits into the seatalk output. Really nice bloke to deal with, he offered to send it before I even paid for it and only pay if I liked it.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:00   #23

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa
I set the alarm day and night always.... if the weather is bad the ring is smaller... 20 or 25 meters... If it is good weather I set the alarm for half the distance to the nearest boat/ shoreline / reef...... It does wake me up for nothing occasionally ... but I sleep much better with it on.....

I wish there was a gps with a nice female voice that would say

" Darling could you please go check the Anchor while I heat up some chocolate milk for you?"........ Maybe something we could ask Garmin about?

I did replace my ground tackle with a nice shinny new Rocna and now don't worry so much.. But still keep the alarm on just in case.... Would hate to wake up hitting something.
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:05   #24

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Yes! See here - Tech-X
I've got one for the radar alarm on sl72. Fit whatever buzzer you want, fits into the seatalk output. Really nice bloke to deal with, he offered to send it before I even paid for it and only pay if I liked it.

Thanks will look into it.
amytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 12:10   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingaway221 View Post
I wish there was a gps with a nice female voice that would say

" Darling could you please go check the Anchor while I heat up some chocolate milk for you?"........ Maybe something we could ask Garmin about?
Hey, this is the CF forum, NOT the SF (Science Fiction) forum!

You may be able to get the nice female voice from the makers of Garmin, but not the chocolate milk or any other offerings. Unless, of course, you are married to me... But there is already a lucky guy who is married to me, so you're out of luck
Old 15-09-2010, 16:22   #26

Boat: 36ft one off trimiran
Luv the voice idea ! you could have alot of fun programming the voice commands .My chartplotter is a nav man and on the electrical diagram it shows an out put wire for external alarm ,you would think that all manufactures would have this as a safety issue and if you dont i think the baby monitor is a good option if you can't hear the alarm from your bunk ! cheers andy
trinescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 17:42   #27

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
WARNING: THREAD DRIFT AHEAD!!!

Many years ago my first submarine, USS SEAWOLF (SSN 575), had a master alarm system that used a female voice to announce various major alarms throughout the ship. The theory was that sleepy sailors would disregard another male voice on the general announcing system but would wake up very quickly to the sound of a soft, sexy sounding, female voice. As Interior Communication Officer, I had custody of the photograph of the lady who made the recordings. I do not believe there was ever any scientific research to confirm the theory.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 08:35   #28

Boat: Nordic Tug 37
What about the other guys?

I have very reliable ground tackle (oversized Rocna and lots of chain) and when I have any doubt as to holding ground, current, or weather I use the anchor alarm, but so far my only anchoring problems are the other boaters. The one's who don't have a clue how to anchor (including but not limited to adequate ground tackle, sufficient rode, spacing in the anchorage, and setting the anchor) are the worst hazard and I have had several either drag into me in the night or drag towards me in the day (when we can easily take action).
Now if we can come up with a solution to this, we will have something.

Tom
Firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 16:01   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
. . . I still sometimes drop my dinghy anchor off by bow after my ground tackle is set and lead the line from this small mushroom anchor through the cowl vent above my forward head where, with ample slack, I tie the bitter end to a sauce pan sitting on the head floor. If I drag the mushroom anchor rode tightens and the sauce pan hits the ceiling. It's never failed me!
Better yet, tie the end of the lead line to your big toe and if you notice yourself being dragged across the cabin sole, it would be an indication that your boat is also dragging.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 17:51   #30

Boat: Itís in French Polynesia now
It's not so much dragging anchor I worry about but the other boats. Twice this year I've been awaken in the middle of the night with something banging my hull.

The first was a huge 60' motor yacht with a couple kids aboard that had dragged when the wind pick up.
The second was a 36' sailboat with a noob, which put out 5:1 scope in 50' of water on a calm rainy night. When the tide changed he was all over me. And here I thought he was a long way off.

In bad weather or tidal areas I'll use an alarm. But backing downwind on good ground tackle until it holds is your best insurance.

Tags
anchor