Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2014, 00:40   #46

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: Anchor Alarms ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have not used "Drag Queen" much, but normally the GPS will report the accuracy and display this. It gives you some idea of the confidence in accuracy of the readings. This information is supplied by the GPS chip in the device and is not adjustable.

There is often a separate alarm that can be set to trigger if the accuracy drops below a the set value. This is user adjustable. Different GPS units have different criterion for reporting the accuracy, but for example my Garman handheld reports an accuracy of 3m with a good SD fix. This increases to 10m if the differential adjustment is lost. If the fix is much greater than this something is wrong ( usually the antenna is blocked by some large object). So an alarm set at 12m would alert me that the GPS fix had become unreliable without any risk of false alarms.
Aha! so that's it. Damn thing gave me a couple of false alarms. And we hadn't moved an inch

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 01:02   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

Why the bashing of anchor alarms, if it can add to safety, surely its a good thing?
Had a bad day last winter, a 10 hr beat to windward single handed, with wind steadily increasing to 35kts, gusts of 40. Eventually made it into a small bay. First anchor attempt was a disaster, anchor had no effect, I had managed to drop it dead on an old unmarked lobster pot. Drifted a few miles back out to sea by the time I had the anchor recovered and cleared.

Second attempt at anchoring no problem, held like a dream.

At this stage I had been awake for about 18 hrs, was was pretty exhausted.

I've had a lot of time at sea, and developed a pretty good sixth sense as to when things are not right (does not extend to predicting where a lobster pot might be), but in this state, I'm not going to rely on this sixth sense telling me the anchor is dragging. If I nodded off, much rather be woken to the banshee wail of a loud buzzer than the sound of my keel bouncing along the seabed.

If you have the tools available, use them would be my advise.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 04:15   #48

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have used the anchor alarm in my chartplotter. It isn't loud enough to wake me if I'm in deep sleep mode..
Get out the installation instructions and see if there is a way to connect a remote alarm. My Garmin has a provision for this. You can put the remote alarm wherever you need it.
Old 19-09-2014, 04:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Why the bashing of anchor alarms, ............
It makes some people feel like they are better than others who use technology. It's like the electronic charts vs. paper charts argument.

I agree with you, if it keeps you safer, why not use it?
Old 19-09-2014, 04:30   #50
cruiser

I think I tested all the anchor alarm apps last month for my "Anchors are a drag" thread. Had the best luck using INavx chartplotter app on my ipad because it also provided a history, and "Anchor Watch/SMS" on my Samsung G4 android phone. The 5-6 others tested worked well, but these two were a little better.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 04:32   #51

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have used the anchor alarm in my chartplotter. It isn't loud enough to wake me if I'm in deep sleep mode.

I've read where some have successfully used a baby monitor system to repeat sounds from the helm.

-Chris
Old 19-09-2014, 04:33   #52

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I'm not a phone guru I admit. But what I do know is that if i run out of credit and therefore I have no data, or I have no wifi connected to my phone or ipad, my google maps, Navionics, AU Tides, and even my Oz Runways, don't work.
Ted,

GPS in iPhone doesn't require cell service. The anchor alarm apps don't need cell data to know the position has changed. They only need cell data to show your position on Google Earth which some of them do. But they will work as anchor alarms even without cell service
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 04:40   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

^^

For me, I don't use them routinely for two reasons:

I don't like the false positives.
It adds another little task which does not routinely add much value - eg I am not going to be dragging routinely, and I have a pretty good idea when I could.

I am/was simply stating what I have discovered is best for me. I have no interest in "selling" my approach as either the only or the best approach for other people.

As an aside, radar with a guard zone set up, is often useful . . . I find more so than the anchor alarms . . . But it does take more power. Again, I use when there is a specific risk rather than routinely.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 04:49   #54

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

We have two anchor alarms. One is a simple Garmin 120 GPS which you can set a distance and it will alarm if you move outside that. The other is MemoryMap on a laptop. Similarly, we set a distance and it will alarm if we go outside the circle. We used a number of times on our delivery trip. Yes, there were some false alarms, but with a new boat we were not sure of how secure the anchoring and mooring system was.

Better to be safe than sorry. After a few more uses, I am sure that we will get better at using it.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 06:41   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I've read where some have successfully used a baby monitor system to repeat sounds from the helm.

-Chris
That's not as sophisticated as wiring in an external alarm but there's no reason it wouldn't work.
Old 19-09-2014, 06:49   #56
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Unfortunately the new Raymarine e series, and probably the other new models don't have an external alarm jack...crazy..
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 07:12   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Why the bashing of anchor alarms, if it can add to safety, surely its a good thing?
Had a bad day last winter, a 10 hr beat to windward single handed, with wind steadily increasing to 35kts, gusts of 40. Eventually made it into a small bay. First anchor attempt was a disaster, anchor had no effect, I had managed to drop it dead on an old unmarked lobster pot. Drifted a few miles back out to sea by the time I had the anchor recovered and cleared.

Second attempt at anchoring no problem, held like a dream.

At this stage I had been awake for about 18 hrs, was was pretty exhausted.

I've had a lot of time at sea, and developed a pretty good sixth sense as to when things are not right (does not extend to predicting where a lobster pot might be), but in this state, I'm not going to rely on this sixth sense telling me the anchor is dragging. If I nodded off, much rather be woken to the banshee wail of a loud buzzer than the sound of my keel bouncing along the seabed.

If you have the tools available, use them would be my advise.
This is why/when I rely on alarms... I, like most of you jump to my feet from a dead sleep when the motion tells me something's different, and an investigation is warranted...

It's the "I'M DEAD to the world exhausted" that scares me into the backup as a standard practice...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 09:36   #58

Location: France in summer, aboard GALAWA in Caribeans in winter.
Boat: Catamaran PRIVILEGE 435

I have a LOWRANCE HDS 12 Touch screen
Alarms can be programmed on a number of parameters: Wind speed, boat speed, depth, ...etc and off course distance from set mooring position.
Unfortunately, the alarm is hardly audible and outright useless when I sleep
According to the HDS 12 documents, there is no way to adjust the volume of the alarm sound .There is no dry contact output from the set to activate an external alarm device
The LOWRANCE tech support tells me nothing can be done unless I return the HDS 12 touch for servicing.
Does anyone have a more positive experience of this product ?
GALAWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2014, 09:39   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Unfortunately the new Raymarine e series, and probably the other new models don't have an external alarm jack...crazy..
The Garmin doesn't have a jack either but it has a wire in the cable that's used for the external alarm.

Important: This wire doesn't provide 12 volts DC as one might think, it "sinks" (connects to ground) so you would run a 12 volt wire through a fuse, then to the positive buzzer terminal. The negative buzzer terminal connects to the remote alarm wire from the Garmin. When the internal alarm sounds on the plotter, the alarm wire is grounded internally and this completes the circuit to the buzzer and it sounds.
Old 19-09-2014, 10:01   #60

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I use anchor watch pro for Android on a Nexus7. Good battery life. Put the tablet on the shelf next to my head. Wakes me every time. Setup requires thought for different anchorages. I normally use the length of the rode and note the heading on my electronic heading indicator when setting the anchor. You can use sector alerts ect. I don't employ the cell capability. Just don't set the limits too tight or you will have nuisance alarms. The gps is good to 13 ft so I give it a 20ft margin. Works good. Just don't forget to shut it off when you weigh anchor. It will alarm as you depart.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm, anchor