Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2021, 11:10   #46

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: Anchor alarm apps - a comprehensive survey

Following. And thanks for the comparison chart! We have tried My Anchor Watch, and a few others, all without enough consistent success that we trust them. We have used the Garmin Chartplotter, marking a point at where we drop the anchor and a point at where we stabilize after we pull back. As the wind/current moves us, we compare our present position to where we initially started from, and can see what has happened. And then at night we set a perimeter around our position(usually 200ft) and activate the b/i alarm. But having an alarm on the phone, when we dinghy to town for shopping, etc, would really be nice.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 11:20   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
Following. And thanks for the comparison chart! We have tried My Anchor Watch, and a few others, all without enough consistent success that we trust them. We have used the Garmin Chartplotter, marking a point at where we drop the anchor and a point at where we stabilize after we pull back. As the wind/current moves us, we compare our present position to where we initially started from, and can see what has happened. And then at night we set a perimeter around our position(usually 200ft) and activate the b/i alarm. But having an alarm on the phone, when we dinghy to town for shopping, etc, would really be nice.
Ah! My Anchor Watch on Android! One of the few I could see a description of on the net, but have not been able to find and download on Google Play Store.

Would you mind checking My Anchor Watch against the feature set I have as rows in my chart and let me know the outcome? I can then complete that column.

Thanks so much! Mathias
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 14:18   #48

Boat: Taswell 43

I am glad to fill in what blanks I can remember....but you need to know we have not used it-or even looked at it- in quite a while. We have relied exclusively on our chartplotter for our past 2 winter sailing seasons (2018-19, and 2019-20). Covid has kept us at home and off the boat since June2020....so the last time we even tried to use it was winter/spring 2018! That was awhile ago, and we were frustrated users at best. But.. if you want my recollections, as I remember them, I'm glad to fill in what I can.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 14:46   #49
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcrazy View Post
I am glad to fill in what blanks I can remember....but you need to know we have not used it-or even looked at it- in quite a while. We have relied exclusively on our chartplotter for our past 2 winter sailing seasons (2018-19, and 2019-20). Covid has kept us at home and off the boat since June2020....so the last time we even tried to use it was winter/spring 2018! That was awhile ago, and we were frustrated users at best. But.. if you want my recollections, as I remember them, I'm glad to fill in what I can.
Thanks! It would be a start! Perhaps send a PM for your recollections?

Thanks again, Mathias

PS: We have been using anchor alarm apps quite successfully, so perhaps the one you used was not quite up to the task.
Old 31-07-2021, 15:54   #50

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

With aln anchor alarm app I highly recommend an external Bluetooth GPS and all devices are connected to that. BT GPS is positioned for optimal reception, 2nd all your mobile devices will have a much longer battery life given you turned GPS off (on ipads eg don't put in the code for your sim card but you need to have a sim in) on your mobile devices and 3rd much higher accuracy as the external is a 10 or 20HZ GPS with much better Antenna.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2021, 16:31   #51

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

sehr interessante und tolle arbeit! vielen Dank

cheers,
Old 01-08-2021, 05:26   #52
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasW View Post
Hmmm, this [OpenCPN] Android App has seen its last update in 2015.
There are two different versions of OpenCPN for Android. The one by developer Dave Register is updated regularly.

AFAIK, it does not have an anchor watch feature.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:36   #53
JBP

Quote:
Ah! My Anchor Watch on Android! One of the few I could see a description of on the net, but have not been able to find and download on Google Play Store.
Hi Mathias, My Anchor Watch by SjaellSoft is my current favorite, I'll try to fill in your form. I believe the developer is no longer active however, but it had good promise.
Old 01-08-2021, 05:56   #54
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
Hi Mathias, My Anchor Watch by SjaellSoft is my current favorite, I'll try to fill in your form. I believe the developer is no longer active however, but it had good promise.
Hi JBP, ok, that would explain why I could not find it in Google Play Store. The icon is readily found on the net, and this is what I already put in as a place holder, but the column is empty.

If you could help me fill in the column, would be great. Even if it is not available anymore, it would serve as a reference. Thanks!

Cheers, Mathias
Old 01-08-2021, 06:56   #55

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

I too use the Garmin anchor alarm included in my GPS/plotter. It has both low/high water settings as well as position drift. I am occasionally woken at night because of a large shoal of fish swimming under the boat. I did add a powerful alarm to the GPS.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 07:34   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
I too use the Garmin anchor alarm included in my GPS/plotter. It has both low/high water settings as well as position drift. I am occasionally woken at night because of a large shoal of fish swimming under the boat. I did add a powerful alarm to the GPS.
Hello MVDarlin, greetings from anchorage just outside Puerto Vallarta!

Cheers, Mathias
Old 01-08-2021, 07:48   #57

I used to have Drag Queen which I think worked ok but not super good. Now I have Anchor! which have worked very good and have all functions I need. I think you already have it you comparison but I can vouch that it works well in reality as well
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 13:05   #58
JBP

Quote:
Even if it is not available anymore, it would serve as a reference.
The free version is still in the Google store here in USA. I don't think the pro version ever got published. I sent you a PM and email with my comments.
Old 01-08-2021, 14:57   #59

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Hmmm, this Android App has seen its last update in 2015. It started alright on my phone but upon restarting the screen was messed up as if the carriage return / line feed counting was out of sync...

If I saw it correctly, it does not have an anchor alarm functionality as such, but you are "abusing" a waypoint for this. Correct?

Cheers, Mathias
Hi Mathius,

Yep you place a waypoint at the vessel position then trigger the dropdown on it and press "SET ANCHOR WATCH" to implement it.
Old 02-08-2021, 05:40   #60
JBP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Yep you place a waypoint at the vessel position then trigger the dropdown on it and press "SET ANCHOR WATCH" to implement it.
Thanks Raymond,

https://opencpn.org/wiki/dokuwiki/do...s:anchor_watch

Tags
alarm, anchor, survey