Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 10:06   #31

Re: Anchor alarm - AIS monitoring

With remote notification, you may not get back "in time" but you'll be aware of a situation and can head back asap and possibly avert a grounding, collision or worse.

I like the idea of positive feedback. It would be nice to have an app offer that feature along with a setting for frequency of notification. Then it's up to the user as to whether a push notification is sent every 5 minutes, every hour or whenever deemed appropriate. Yup, wish list material.
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 10:11   #32

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
With remote notification, you may not get back "in time" but you'll be aware of a situation and can head back asap and possibly avert a grounding, collision or worse.

I like the idea of positive feedback. It would be nice to have an app offer that feature along with a setting for frequency of notification. Then it's up to the user as to whether a push notification is sent every 5 minutes, every hour or whenever deemed appropriate. Yup, wish list material.
Or even if you can't avoid things going wrong, you'll at least be on your way back and the situation can be resolved sooner (and hopefully with less damage).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 11:07   #33

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

AIS on is a good idea when at anchor unless the energy cost is too high. Most plotters will show the location of AIS targets for many minutes after the last report is received. If you are anchored you aren't moving much. Your movement is almost always less than the visual distance in fog, etc., so an AIS report that is several minutes old is just as good as one that is one second old for making boats entering an anchorage aware of your presence.

I also agree that when ashore it would be nice to know if my boat were dragging sooner rather than later. It might be the difference between getting back to the boat when it goes aground versus getting back when it has gone hard aground. More time rarely makes a dragging situation better.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 12:47   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Quote:
Have a look at AnchorSentry (for iOS). In the communications setting you can specify at which frequency it is sending an update to the host.

Cheers, Mathias
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 13:13   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasW View Post
Have a look at AnchorSentry (for iOS). In the communications setting you can specify at which frequency it is sending an update to the host.

Cheers, Mathias
What does "sending an update to the host" mean. Is "the host" your remote device in your pocket at dinner on land, or some server in the cloud that you need to query every so often to get any current updates, or something entirely different?

Thx
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 13:49   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Neel 51, Trimaran

Quote:
What does "sending an update to the host" mean. Is "the host" your remote device in your pocket at dinner on land, or some server in the cloud that you need to query every so often to get any current updates, or something entirely different?

Thx
Well, I am not the author of that anchor alarm, but I would think this means how often the device remaining on the boat is sending an update to the host server, which in turn the device on land needs to query.

At least, I can see an entry 'transmitting interval' when preparing the alarm on Sentry on the device that remains on the boat. The receiving side has the same entry. Not sure, these can be set to different values.

Sentry is using a server run / or rented by the author of Sentry, through which all this communication has to go through.
MathiasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 15:57   #37

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

AIS monitoring might help you if your boat broke its anchor or mooring without you on board. Anchor, maybe, mooring, not likely.

You'd need AIS on the boat and I'd suggest a transponder which will both send
& receive to use when you are moving.

The problem with Marine Traffic is that it is a delayed system. Info comes from your VHF transponder and then travels over air to a shore side receiver and then to Marine traffic. Then it gets in a que to be shown (AIS on your boat is much faster going from the target to your chartplotter or receiver).

I use Marine Traffic to keep track of my twin boys who are merchant mariners, time delay doesn't matter there.

I'd suggest a security with a geofence. Once set you'd use your smart phone to keep track.

Good luck.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 16:46   #38
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathiasW View Post

Cheers, Mathias

I just downloaded this an I’m impressed

It uploads data to a cloud server , you can interrogate that remotely from a web browser but you don’t get alarms , just a map update ( it seems ) but you can use another phone to link via the internet to provide alarms Etc
Old 26-09-2022, 22:56   #39

Boat: Amel Maramu 46

Hi, just jumping in as the author of Anchor Sentry.

The notification of the remote device is instant via WebSocket technology.
This remote display and alert function relies on a stable internet connection on both ends. The app will try to recover from a temporary broken connection but I am the last to say that this is bulletproof.

Recently I got an alert on the remote device after just coming ashore. Turned out that the internet provider crashed on the island for several hours. Loosing its connection the remote device switched to local mode and being out of the alert perimeter (obviously) sounded the alert.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, alarm, anchor, monitor