Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2010, 15:14   #1

Boat: Pearson 303 30' Grateful Sailor
Almost Threw My Spade Away

I’ve been a member of Cruisers Forum since 2007; however this is my first post. My father and I purchased our 1983 Pearson 303 in 1997. It didn’t take long to realize that the previous owner had chosen an inadequate anchor. Perhaps most of us are content with our equipment until it lets us down. The anchor is the last piece of equipment that I want to see fail. When selecting equipment I ask fellow boaters their opinion based upon experience. In that regards Cruisers Forum and Practical Sailor have been a tremendous help in choosing the best equipment the first time around.
In the February 1998 issue of Practical Sailor, a prototype anchor by a Frenchman tested very well although the Bruce set the best. By February 2000 I was ready for a new anchor. I remembered that Practical Sailor had done a follow-up anchor test in the January 1999 issue, this time featuring holding power in sand. By now the prototype had a name and West Marine was selling it as the French Spade. In this test the Spade far out-preformed all the others with the Bulwagga coming in second. I immediately brought the Spade and never regretted the decision until recently.
Over the years the Spade has never failed to set and stay set. I believe that its unique ability to dig-in comes not only from it concave shape that scoops rather than plows but also from the weight of lead at the anchors' tip. Last July 4th while awaiting the fireworks a strong squall swept through the anchorage. This is the first time I’ve experienced wind that pivoted the boat 360 degrees in less than 20 seconds. Not only did the Spade hold if anything it just dug itself deeper. The next day it required a lot of effort even with a windlass to bring the anchor up. Another boat in the anchorage dragged, almost going aground, before the skipper was able to retrieve his anchor and motor away.
Within the last couple of years I've noticed that my anchor was beginning to rust. Unfortunately, I didn’t know what I could do other than eventually replace it. That is until a couple of weeks ago when Sea Tech and Fun USA informed the Cruisers Forum that they represented Spade Anchors in this country. I emailed Sea Tech explaining the condition and age of the anchor asking if they could help me. Much to my surprise I received an email response the same day informing me that they would call the next day. To my further surprise and delight Evan Selbiger said that they would replace my anchor at no cost to me other than shipping. To my thinking that’s remarkable product support.
Ken Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 15:53   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
That's great to hear, Ken.

And a belated welcome to the forum. Keep the posts coming!
Old 16-08-2010, 16:35   #3

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
great story. always interested in reports of equipment that works well.
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 11:16   #4

Yes, that's great product support and good to hear.

If not for the replacement, I think your best bet might be re-galvanizing? This is a steel anchor, correct?
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 14:34   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Companies that provide this kind of service do deserve our support.
I think the Spade anchor did have some corrosion problems. It sounds like they have solved these and are supporting those with the original anchors.
See my post in early 2009 showing the corrosion problems in a Spade anchor.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ade-24918.html
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 01:21   #6

Boat: Pearson 303 30' Grateful Sailor
Yes, Speedoo, its the steel model. After I saw the rust I regreted not buying the aluminum version. Its actually what Practical Sailor had used in their test with excellent results. Its just seems to me that steel being heavier than aluminum will set better. However, an aluminum anchor on the bow would have the advantage of adding less weight. A serious consideration with chain rode and two anchors on the bow of a 30 footer.
Ken Andersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 03:25   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I am astonished they will replace it. I would have thought that a decade of anchoring would be fair wear and tear when you think about the conditions it has been used in. Imersed in salt water, dragged across rocks, dug into mud etc. However excellent customer service.

Craig, your bound to read this , do Rocna offer a service like the Spade retailers?

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 06:59   #8

Thanks

Ken. Thanks for the kind words about our support of your Spade Anchor.
Yes the Aluminum anchor is lighter, but please remember that an aluminum anchor is not reccommended by the company to be used as the boat's primary anchor. We always reccommend that you use a steel anchor as the primary.

Just wanted to let everyone know that we will be exhibiting at the Newport International Boat Show September 16-19th, 2010. If anyone is in the area they should come by and see all that Newport has to offer. Plus this is one of the largest boat shows of the year, so there will be alot to see.

Come by our booth and ask us about our boat show discounts for your new Spade Anchor.
seatechandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 08:25   #9

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by seatechandfun View Post
we will be exhibiting at the Newport International Boat Show September 16-19th, 2010.
Do you plan to attend the Annapolis Show as well?
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 08:29   #10

No we will not be in Maryland this year. We might be going to Ft. Lauderdale end of October 2010.
Old 18-08-2010, 08:46   #11

Where does the spade fit in against the whole rocna / mason supreme debate? I know I'm asking a hand grenade question. Just curious. I've used a bruce with good results, a cqr in not so bad conditions, and was planning on a mason supreme as a primary from everything I've read online from people with experience.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 08:53   #12

The Spade sets quickly and does not come loose even under extra forces. It is very reliable and the design has been copied many times by the other anchor companies. I would look up the test done by 'Practicl Sailer' magazine(Jan 1999) to see unbiased testing results.

All anchors are designed to do a specific job. You should have confidence in your equipment. It is always nice to go to sleep and wake up in the same location you anchored your boat in when you went to sleep.

There are many testimonials out there regarding Spade Anchors. This is just one of many great stories of success.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:00   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatechandfun View Post
I would look up the test done by 'Practicl Sailer' magazine(Jan 1999) to see unbiased testing results.
Wouldn't want to include anything a bit more up-to-date now, would you.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:06   #14

Just curious why they're not available via the regular places I'd check prices on? West Marine, Defender, Downwind Marine, Jamestown? I can only find them on navstore.com. Not a huge deal, just curious.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:10   #15

There is an article done by a french sailing magazine that is more recent.
FRANCE - Voiles et Voiliers Magazine (July 2009) Big anchors test : "SPADE, the Star of the test" :
“ Spade, a must of resistance : Thanks to its design and to its ballasted tip, the Spade digs in every single time until full disappearing. The Spade digs immediately and has been the only one to reach 2 tons of traction in less than 1 minute (constant holding). Above 2.1 Tons, we had to stop the test at the risk of seeing wedges tearing away from the deck !!! “