Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2010, 09:11   #16
Marine Service Provider

Funny how it didn't include the Rocna.
craigsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:44   #17

We are the current U.S. distributor and they are available through dealers like the Navstore and soon to be other dealers in the U.S.
seatechandfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:58   #18
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
I bought the Spade A 140 Aluminum for my cat as a primary 4 1/2 years ago and it really is junk, it willl not set in hard sand or weeds-I think I paid about $850+ for and will sell it to you for $500 its like new!
Im sure the steel ones are very good, but forget about the aluminum one
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:01   #19

We recommend that you use a steel anchor as your primary. It sounds like the aluminum is too light weight for your application. I'm sure you would find the steel anchor a much better setting performer in that type of bottom.
Old 18-08-2010, 11:05   #20
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seatechandfun View Post
We recommend that you use a steel anchor as your primary. It sounds like the aluminum is too light weight for your application. I'm sure you would find the steel anchor a much better setting performer in that type of bottom.
Too bad no one told me I should have it as a second anchor, I bought it as a Primary and was very disapointed, because at the time it was about the most expensive anchor I could by- 1 size bigger also--
Why make an anchor that is not as good as a Primary??I mean if it dont work what good is it- looks good and does not put much weight on the boat anyway!
Old 18-08-2010, 11:14   #21

Boat: L 34
THIS IS THE WORST BIT OF MARKETING I'VE SEEN IN A LONG F TIME.
Take your Spade and dig a big hole to bury all the others along with it.
Geez, man ! Don't make excuses like the Alum one is too lite. Only the best will do when you leave your boat in it's trust.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:18   #22

Although the aluminum anchor is lighter in weight it still has the same holding power as the steel The main reason we recommend the steel as the primary is because of the torque that can be applied by using a windlass. An aluminum achor is best used as a secondary anchor. This is the recommendation of the present owners and designers of the spade anchor.
Old 18-08-2010, 12:00   #23
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Although the aluminum anchor is lighter in weight it still has the same holding power as the steel The main reason we recommend the steel as the primary is because of the torque that can be applied by using a windlass. An aluminum achor is best used as a secondary anchor. This is the recommendation of the present owners and designers of the spade anchor.
This may be true, but the trouble is the Aluminum one will not dig in in about half the places I tried using it, from the N. Atlantic, France to Turkey, I really gave it a good try, after all I paid big bucks for the thing and I did not want to buy a different anchor-(i keep 4 different anchors onboard)you just cannot count on it diggin in- its only good on soft sand, mud-
I bought a steel Manson Supreme and was very happy with it for the last few years, it worked in 90% of the place I went- I just lost it along with a chain rode so Im using the Spade again- im sailin from Greece to Miami I started today-Im not sure if I can wait to I get to Florida before I have to buy a different anchor- Im looking at the MS again and the Ronca-with such a bad experence with the spade Aluminum , im hesatent on buying the steel one, even though Ive heard nothing but good reports on them
Old 18-08-2010, 12:05   #24

I know you would be happy with the performance of the steel spade. When you get to miami, contact me. We are just three hours up the east coast of Florida. We could talk and I would be able to help you out if you would like to purchase a steel spade for your boat. (discount) email me at seatechandfunusa@yahoo.com.
Old 18-08-2010, 12:09   #25
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I know you would be happy with the performance of the steel spade. When you get to miami, contact me. We are just three hours up the east coast of Florida. We could talk and I would be able to help you out if you would like to purchase a steel spade for your boat. (discount) email me at seatechandfunusa@yahoo.com.
Ok thanks,maybe I will-
Old 18-08-2010, 12:31   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Quote:
That sounds like good service. It is nice to see companies trying to solve problems.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2010, 15:39   #27

Boat: 36' custom steel
Pretty obvious to me that an aluminum spade is not going to set anywhere near as well as the steel version. I was at swap meet years ago. Picked up a 66# steel spade for $225. Also had an opportunity to purchase the same anchor at the same price but in aluminum. Passed on the aluminum version because I figured I would not set nearly as well for lack of weight. Holding power would be fine if and when the aluminum version set. But setting no way as good as the steel.

I think of the aluminum flavor as competing with the Fortress. Use in same conditions, i.e., mud and sand.