Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2023, 19:49   #1

Boat: Beneteau/343
Adding anchor chain

I have a Beneteau 343 with a 20 kg Bruce anchor. Currently it has 30’ of chain and 140’ of cord. Last summer I learned that I can no longer get by with that little rhode. The boat has a lewmar windlass.

The current chain is 5/16” WM4.

I’m trying to confirm this will work ( 5/16" x 92' Grade 30, Hot Dip Galvanized Proof Coil Chain ) as an extension: https://e-rigging.com/products/lynx-...yABEgKAEPD_BwE
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2023, 22:44   #2

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Adding anchor chain

I think your current chain is made for West Marine ... but no idea who the manufacturer would be. Imo the 4 suggests grade 40 which will be a different size than the proof coil. What about the manual for your windlass? Doesn't it indicate which chain types and sizes the gypsy will handle? The website gives link dimensions for the chain you're looking at .... how do they compare to your existing chain? I drove myself nuts trying to compare chain sizes online to my old chain, so ended up dealing with a local supplier where I could take my gypsy in to run a piece of their chain through it. Good luck with your search.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 03:13   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Proof coil is a rather long link and not normally compatible with a windlass. Having the chain match the gypsy is essential for the windlass to work properly.

Jim
Old 22-03-2023, 03:30   #4

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

G4, if that's what you have, has a working load of 3900 lb. Proof coil has a working load of 1900 lb. That is a significant loss of strength. However, it may still be sufficiently strong for your boat, my 43 ft 22,000 lb boat uses 5/16 g4.

If you intend to add chain, you will have to splice to the existing in some fashion. There are many ways to do this, but most compromise strength. Do some research before you plan to do this.

With only 30 ft of chain currently, I am sure that you routinely are into the rope. If you have no problems with the rope to chain splice going through the windlass, there are a lot of advantages to adding rope instead of chain. Rope is cheaper than chain, and weighs considerably less. Note that the weight of chain in the bow is a significant hit on sailing performance. Here on the Chesapeake Bay, where there is no rock or coral to chafe, many boats use 20-50 ft of chain followed by rope.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 06:10   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

The splice in the chain is going to be really difficult to get through the windlass. I suggest that you replace it all, following the excellent guidance above.
Old 22-03-2023, 06:47   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

^^ This. I think the below is what you meant to say.

I have a Beneteau 343 with a 20 kg Bruce anchor. Currently it has 30’ of chain and 140’ of rope. Last summer I learned that I can no longer get by with that little rode. The boat has a Lewmar windlass.

The current chain is 5/16” G4 from West Marine.

I’m trying to confirm this will work ( 5/16" x 92' Grade 30, Hot Dip Galvanized Proof Coil Chain ) as an extension: https://e-rigging.com/products/lynx-...yABEgKAEPD_BwE

If so, you need 5/16 G4 chain. I would not bother trying to save 30' with splice, so just buy about 150' (or more) of G4 and have it spliced to the rope. But since no pro is going to splice old rope, you either need to do this yourself or buy about 150' of new rope.

You didn't say what size rope. The largest the windlass gypsy is rated for, I'm guessing 5/8-inch.
Old 22-03-2023, 06:53   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I agree, buy new chain and don't bother splicing. Save the 30 feet to use for other purposes like a spare or stern anchor.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 07:02   #8

Boat: Columbia 36

"WM4" sounds like G4 packaged for West Marine. They like to put their own part numbers on things so they don't have to match prices. Different part number means different product so no match even though it's exactly the same.
I'd buy a one foot sample of G4 to make sure it fits before buying the long length. My Simpson-Lawrence windlass specified "5/16 G4 or BBB" but G4 skipped on the gypsy. Bought a foot of BBB and saw it fit better than the G4. It now works fine with BBB.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 07:28   #9

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I would not bother trying to save 30' with splice, so just buy about 150' (or more) of G4 and have it spliced to the rope. But since no pro is going to splice old rope, you either need to do this yourself or buy about 150' of new rope.
I had to pause before I disagree with thinwater, as his advice is always spot on. But...

Think carefully about your use before you buy 150 feet of chain. It is expensive and heavy, and if you don't need it, it's a waste of money and weight. Unless you are intending distance cruising in unknown waters, or your home waters are deep and/or abrasive (coral or rock), 150 ft is probably too much. My last boat, a Sabre 34 without a windlass sailed on the shallow and muddy Chesapeake, had 15 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope. Very very rarely did I put out even 75 ft of rode. Cruising our new boat in the rocky north, we frequently put out 200 ft and appreciated that much chain. It really depends on your cruising grounds!

Think about your normal maximum rode, add 25 ft, and that is probably more than enough chain. And if the gypsy handles the splice well, I might even think about less chain than your maximum normal rode -- the splice goes through long before you have significant load when a good grip in the windlass becomes more important.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 07:35   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
Think about your normal maximum rode, add 25 ft, and that is probably more than enough chain. And if the gypsy handles the splice well, I might even think about less chain than your maximum normal rode -- the splice goes through long before you have significant load when a good grip in the windlass becomes more important.

Interestingly, I've found my windlass handles the splice better with more load. The splice gets pulled deeper into the gypsy and grips better, vs the bulkier splice riding up and sometimes causing the chain not to grab when it tries to transition.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 07:41   #11

Boat: Beneteau/343

Quote:
G4, if that's what you have, has a working load of 3900 lb. Proof coil has a working load of 1900 lb. That is a significant loss of strength. However, it may still be sufficiently strong for your boat, my 43 ft 22,000 lb boat uses 5/16 g4.

If you intend to add chain, you will have to splice to the existing in some fashion. There are many ways to do this, but most compromise strength. Do some research before you plan to do this.

With only 30 ft of chain currently, I am sure that you routinely are into the rope. If you have no problems with the rope to chain splice going through the windlass, there are a lot of advantages to adding rope instead of chain. Rope is cheaper than chain, and weighs considerably less. Note that the weight of chain in the bow is a significant hit on sailing performance. Here on the Chesapeake Bay, where there is no rock or coral to chafe, many boats use 20-50 ft of chain followed by rope.
I cruise in the San Juan islands up north into desolation sound and points north. All the cool kids have a lot of chain… they also have a lot more than 170’ total rhode.

Being limited to 45’ of water for anchorages is an issue.

I have a great stack of documentation including the windlass. It just doesn’t seem to address this point.
davefromoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 08:07   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
I had to pause before I disagree with thinwater, as his advice is always spot on. But...

Think carefully about your use before you buy 150 feet of chain. It is expensive and heavy, and if you don't need it, it's a waste of money and weight. Unless you are intending distance cruising in unknown waters, or your home waters are deep and/or abrasive (coral or rock), 150 ft is probably too much. My last boat, a Sabre 34 without a windlass sailed on the shallow and muddy Chesapeake, had 15 feet of chain and 200 feet of rope. Very very rarely did I put out even 75 ft of rode. Cruising our new boat in the rocky north, we frequently put out 200 ft and appreciated that much chain. It really depends on your cruising grounds!

For the Chesapeake Bay I agree 100%. He does not need that much chain ... but he did not say where he is. There is also some user preference and don't want to argue that.

So yes, the amount of chain varies with the area. And this is why you need to enter a complete user profile--you will get better answers!!

---

Re. The rope-to-chain transition, Google "irony splice." It is a smoother but more difficult splice that goes through the windlass like butter.

Old 22-03-2023, 08:35   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromoregon View Post
I have a Beneteau 343 with a 20 kg Bruce anchor. Currently it has 30’ of chain and 140’ of cord. Last summer I learned that I can no longer get by with that little rhode. The boat has a lewmar windlass.

The current chain is 5/16” WM4.

Just save the 30 ft of chain for future use, or for a stern rode etc.

Put 150 feet of new chain that fits your windlass onto your rope rode and make your life easy and now you can use your windlass as it's intended with the long chain and have nearly 300 ft of rode at your disposal. Especially if you are in the PNW. There are times I've needed 200ft + of rode in the PNW. 50 ft of water and only 4:1 scope.

Many people will buy a foot of chain and see how it fits the windlass.... Dont buy proof coil.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 09:00   #14

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

In a perfect world there would be no outcrops and no old submerged cars or trash in a soft sand bottom, and the water would be so clear you could see your whole rode laying on the bottom. I agree with stowing the 30' and buying 150' of new 5/16 G4 (which is considerably stronger than you'll probably ever need for your boat in Puget Sound but you still won't ever regret getting it.)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2023, 09:41   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
In a perfect world there would be no outcrops and no old submerged cars or trash in a soft sand bottom, and the water would be so clear you could see your whole rode laying on the bottom. I agree with stowing the 30' and buying 150' of new 5/16 G4 (which is considerably stronger than you'll probably ever need for your boat in Puget Sound but you still won't ever regret getting it.)
Yeah, saving a little money sitting at the desk seems right sometimes, and I have done it. But when at the end of the day you find an anchorage that's not quite what you expected and there's a wind chop , you'll be very happy "you did it right"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor