Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2020, 16:56   #1

Acco anchor chain

Ok so I am on my second batch of acco anchor chain in 4 years, and it is rusting again. It's not yet to the point I fear A failure but when I put the chain in the water a cloud of rust comes off . I am a live aboard and have been anchoring full time in salt water . Is 2 years the life expectancy of peerless chain? is there another manufacturer chain I can buy that will last longer? . I really wanted to stay with American chain Because I feel better about my safety . I am starting to rethink this
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 17:22   #2

Re: Acco anchor chain

I get about 4 years out of a chain

The galvanizing doesn’t fall off, it gets worn off

Dragging on sand , stem roller chafe and gypsy chafe

Check your bow roller setup
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 17:38   #3

Well it seems I am getting 2 years from my chain. My anchor rollers are rubber . I believe the change left in the locker Rust equal to the chain in the water. I have 5/16 g43 if that makes any difference. To tell you the truth on both Lenghts purchased 2 years apart I never liked the looks of the Galvanizing . Both sections of chain were purchased at West marine
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 17:41   #4
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Got 11 years out of my 215’ Acco, 5/16 chain, but I rinsed it with fresh water before it goes in the chain locker. (It was still good when I sold the boat after 11 years, but doubt the new owners did the fresh water rinsing thingy)

Doing the same with present boat, Acco chain looks brand new after 2.5 years.
Old 08-04-2020, 18:15   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

The ACCO made the last 15 years has had very poor galvanizing. I recently bought some Lacede chain and so far am very happy. Galvanizing seems to have formed aman additional oxide the newer acco didn't. Maybe ACCO built a high tech but crappy galvanizer 15 years ago and Lacede is still using a process that works?

Of course it could be junk and rust in 6 months!
Old 08-04-2020, 18:57   #6

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
The ACCO made the last 15 years has had very poor galvanizing. I recently bought some Lacede chain and so far am very happy. Galvanizing seems to have formed aman additional oxide the newer acco didn't. Maybe ACCO built a high tech but crappy galvanizer 15 years ago and Lacede is still using a process that works?

Of course it could be junk and rust in 6 months!
Ok, so far your happy because of "aman additional oxide", but you haven't got six months on it yet. I trust that the formation of the aman oxide is a good thing, but I have no clue what that is, and Google was no help.

Please elaborate.
Old 08-04-2020, 23:24   #7

Boat: Outbound 44

We have had much better service life with Maggi chain vs Acco.
If it has lost its galvanizing and started rusting, why not have the chain (and anchor) rsgalvanized?

Do you end for end your chain every couple of years?
Old 09-04-2020, 02:24   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minggat View Post
Ok, so far your happy because of "aman additional oxide", but you haven't got six months on it yet. I trust that the formation of the aman oxide is a good thing, but I have no clue what that is, and Google was no help.
Please elaborate.
Dr. J. Aman (Hebrew University, Israel) patented a “direct-contact continuous Aman reactor” (thermal decomposition process), in the 1950's.
I have no idea if, or how, this would apply.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 02:51   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
We have had much better service life with Maggi chain vs Acco.
If it has lost its galvanizing and started rusting, why not have the chain (and anchor) rsgalvanized?

Do you end for end your chain every couple of years?
I also use Maggi

No complaints

As for end for ending ...,it makes you feel good but it doesn’t work

The length of chain that has its galvanizing eroded is now at the bottom of the chain stack

It now sits in a. stack underneath the good stuff and rusts into a congealed block of chain

Sometimes the block of congealed rusted chain is so dense that it lifts up and blocks the chain from falling out when the rusted this blob jams under the bottom of the winch

Once the chain is de galvanized, send it to the
Scrap metal gang

It’s a shame that re galvanizing is so difficult and expensive
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:26   #10

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
I also use Maggi

No complaints

As for end for ending ...,it makes you feel good but it doesn’t work

The length of chain that has its galvanizing eroded is now at the bottom of the chain stack

It now sits in a. stack underneath the good stuff and rusts into a congealed block of chain

Sometimes the block of congealed rusted chain is so dense that it lifts up and blocks the chain from falling out when the rusted this blob jams under the bottom of the winch

Once the chain is de galvanized, send it to the
Scrap metal gang

It’s a shame that re galvanizing is so difficult and expensive
End for ending the chain does not work if you do it too late. If you end for end the chain after a couple of seasons and before it starts rusting, in most cases it will considerably extend the working life of the chain prior to having it regalvanized.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 04:28   #11

We put some PVC farm drainage pipe in the bottom of the anchor locker, this allows water, sand etc to flow though and chain to dry. When the anchor is up, rinse chain and locker with fresh water. If it is going to sit a while, spray with WD40. End for end each haul out. Regalvanize while chain is still thick enough to do so before it starts slipping in the gypsy.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 06:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

"an additional" typo

Point is, I'd buy any chain before ACCO. May not the Chinese stuff. I think the quality of the ACCO metal and welding, etc is excellent but the galvanizing they use is very inferior.

Will report back on the Lacede. I'm not sure they actually make marine chain. I have the 1/4" G43 which has the same approx link pitch as acco 5/16" hi test and works fine on my manual windlass which was actually designed for 8mm din 766.

I called Lacede and they specifically said it would not work on any windlass. I got a 1' sample and it seemed ok. A 135' length fits in a 5 gallon bucket and weighs 90 lbs.
Very attractive option for smaller boats.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:38   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
... Will report back on the Laclede. I'm not sure they actually make marine chain ...
Yes, Laclede makes marine chain.
https://lacledechain.com/product/lis...mooring-chain/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 13:20   #14

When you read the reviews in the internet you will see that Acco anchor chain is not worth the money. Don't spend your money for crap like this.
Save money and buy for example Chinese made Titan chain. Better quality and much better price.
You also can order European quality chain (MF Marine for example) for less money, than this poor quality American made Acco products.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 13:24   #15

To mention, my old European chain had 14 years in the Salt water. Why buy American and risk your life after 4 years??
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor