Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2021, 13:32   #16

Re: Acco anchor chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Got 11 years out of my 215’ Acco, 5/16 chain, but I rinsed it with fresh water before it goes in the chain locker. (It was still good when I sold the boat after 11 years, but doubt the new owners did the fresh water rinsing thingy)

Doing the same with present boat, Acco chain looks brand new after 2.5 years.
Cmon man you expect people to properly maintain a vital piece of safety gear? Fresh water and time are way to valuable for that nonsense.
Its just so much easier to neglect and complain about it on the internet in 2 years.
Caleb_Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 22:09   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

The life of chain galvanizing depends on its orginal quality and on the conditions you anchor in. Anchoring in Chespeake mud is no comparison to anchoring in South Pacific coral rubble. Washing your chain each use with fresh water is just impractical for a long distance cruiser and probably does very little to extend the chains life.
In tropical anchoring conditions you get about 2 seasons on good chain, end for end and get two more before it needs regalvanizing. So every 4 years its time to deal with it. YMMV

If you wait too long to end for end, then when you do the now unused end now deep in the anchor locker will turn to a heap of rust,
Old 10-06-2021, 07:33   #18

My experience is very different to yours. Being in tropical waters for six years, I still use a chain that had 4 years of mediteranian anchoring life before that. So it is something like ten years of anchoring life for my chain. What might make the difference.:
My chain is made in Europe (Italy) and not in the USA. So consider that, when you buy your next anchor chain.
Pablito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 08:47   #19

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablito View Post
My experience is very different to yours. Being in tropical waters for six years, I still use a chain that had 4 years of mediteranian anchoring life before that. So it is something like ten years of anchoring life for my chain. What might make the difference.:
My chain is made in Europe (Italy) and not in the USA. So consider that, when you buy your next anchor chain.
Which tropical waters? The Carib and Bahamas is primarily sand anchoring and much easier on the chain than the coral rublle of the South Pacific or Indian Ocean.
Like I said in my post above YMMV ( your mileage may vary)
Like you I have Maggi Italian chain. It has held up better than the Acco I had before. I will get more than 4 years before regalvanizing -- although a good chunk has been Covid layup.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor