Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2015, 10:25   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
A wee bit of anchor windlass assistance

I'm wanting to replace a very old Maxwell/Nilsson anchor windlass with a new Maxwell windlass. I believe the number of the M/N windlass is 105. It is a vertical windlass with a chain gypsy at the bottom and a drum on top.

I think the modern equivalent would be the Maxwell VWC1000 but before spending this kind of money I would like to be sure. If I am lucky (fat chance) the mounting template will be the same and I won't need to do any glass work and just wire the new bad boy in.

I don't know if this helps but the anchor will be a 45 lb CQR w/200 ft 5/16" G4 chain backed by 100 ft of 5/8" 8 brait. At a little over 1 lb/ft for the chain the total load should be around 250-275 lb.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 17:45   #2

Re: A wee bit of anchor windlass assistance

As they say 'A picture is worth a thousand words'.
As you say that it is a Maxwell Nilsson I assume it has the names cast into the clutch nut.
Best contact Maxwell with your serial number as they have records back to the 80's. they can then tell you what model you have and if the 1000 is a suitable replacement.
Guss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 04:13   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I would be very surprised if the holes required are going to be the same. It is still worth doing some investigation, as it is helpful to choose a new windlass model that requires minimal modification. At least check the new holes fall within the backing plate area.

Using some callipers and measuring from the inside (chain locker) where the chain and bolt holes emerge you should be able to make a reasonably accurate template for your existing winch, assuming you have some access.

Most of the companies have operating manuals and cut out templates for their current models on their website. If not, they should be able to email something to you.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2015, 12:00   #4
Eternal Member

Thank you all for your replies. You are absolutely correct. I needed to contact Maxwell. I guess I've come to rely on the extensive experience of everyone here a bit too much.

In case anyone is curious. After sending Maxwell a picture of my antique Maxwell/Nilsson windlass, they suggested the Maxwell RC10-8 as a replacement. I'm told the holes for the windlass and the chain pipe will match but the mounting bolts would probably not. No prob.

Thanks again for responding to a stupid post.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment
Old 25-04-2015, 08:51   #5
Eternal Member

As an aside. A local vendor told me that unless I also bought their top of the line chain and 8 braight rode per Maxwell specs, there was a chance of voiding the warranty.

When I asked what those specs were they weren't sure. Another call to Maxwell. They recommend either BBB or high strength chain(G4) in a size that fits the chain gypsy. In my case 5/16" G4. No special brands.

Same for the 8 brait. Any brand of the correct size (5/8"). They do recommend a neat chain to line splice.

So by doing my homework, like I should have done in the first place, I'm able to save several hundred dollars. And had a refresher course on checking whatever sales tells me.

This is probably of no interest to anyone but I feel better and wanted to share.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Quantum Entagelment

Tags
anchor, wind, windlass