Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2013, 09:39   #211

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: A Plea For Decent Anchor Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
The most important thing the anchor ball tells you is that the boat showing it is not under way and not under command, so it is entirely up to you to avoid it..
One more choice - the boater forgot to take it down or just leaves it in place all the time.

As far as it being up to you to avoid it, isn't it always up to you to avoid hitting another vessel, especially if it is sitting still?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:51   #212

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
As far as it being up to you to avoid it, isn't it always up to you to avoid hitting another vessel, especially if it is sitting still?
^^Exactly!^^An anchor ball tells you nothing that is useful other than the boatowner is a stickler about the rules, assuming they are showing it properly. If you are close enough to see the anchor ball I bet you are close enough to see the anchor rode leading down into the water. But, even if you can't see either, what does that mean you are now allowed to do? You can't just cut in front of them or pass too close, because I guess you are assuming they are underway.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:03   #213
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Nick You are getting a bit confused here.

For Example SOLAS V applies to all vessels including yachts and not on a voluntary basis.

Strobes in international waters carried on a vessel, are NOT regarded as distress beacons, There use is to "be avoided" , but it is NOT prohibited, ie they cannot be used to signal distress , but can be used for other purposes, particulary where no other effective mechanism is available.

Lifejackets are controlled by ISO/EN ( the MED directive in Europe), Under those directives a "light" is required, modern jackets use a flashing light, which cannot be regarded as a 'strobe' light.

The same is true for EPIRBS, the light on top is a flashing light , not a strobe. ( my SOLAS jotron unit actually just uses a little incandescent bulb.

EPIRB specification ( note not regulations) are set by COSPAS-SARSAT and homologated by various National or supra-national agencies like ETSI in the EU.

Strobes on EPIRBs are NOT part of COSPAS-SARSAT specifications, but are added at a manufacturers discretion.

So to summarise, a flashing white light, is NOT an internationally recognised distress signal, although the use of such light pattern is commonly used in beacons, lifejackets, etc. COLREGS affirms that 'strobe lights' conventionally understood as a high powered light, rather then just a simple occulting light are to be avoided, the conventional reason been given is due to the high power of such lights.

Its important to realise that many of these agreements are just that , and have to be translated into national law to have local legal effect. Some large nations do this, some nations merely accept the regulatory controls of larger groupings.

DAve
Confused? Not so much, but definitely too old for this crazyness. There was no SOLAS V when I studied it; I checked it out and see that some parts of it apply to small yachts too. This still does not make them "SOLAS vessels" like you seem to hint at with your "confused" statement when I mentioned that using slightly different wording. I know you know this Dave. Did it feel good?

I found another distress signal not listed in COLREGS: the SART, i.e. radar transponder. So, illegal according to CF, although it is a mandatory item for GMDSS vessels (which is every SOLAS vessel).

I also checked the mainstream EPIRBS and PLB's and they ALL have a strobe. none have a mere flashing light. So I guess statements I read about EPIRBS not having strobes but just flashing lights is just another form of disruptive behavior. Thanks for wasting my time, whoever wrote that. Hope you enjoyed it

I'm sick of it. I propose you all surrender your strobe-equipped lifevests, personal strobes, EPIRBS, PLBs, SARTS, distress-lasers, signal mirrors etc. to coast guard or police and lash a barrel with tar to your lifelines to put to flames when needed. I'll use what gets me rescued if you don't mind. I'm done trying to bring sense to the crowd of children here, bye.

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:13   #214

Boat: Celestial 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
How would you hang a beach ball?
Need to glue on vinyl loops with vinyl glue (like repairing a PVC raft). Then hang on upper loop from headstay and secure bottom loop with cord down to deck so ball doesn't flip all around in the wind.
I didn't get our ball from that website, but have one and has worked for us. I didn't know someone even purpose made anchor balls for boats so just made one. Have seen old radar reflectors painted black which might be more durable solution.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:31   #215
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
Need to glue on vinyl loops with vinyl glue (like repairing a PVC raft). Then hang on upper loop from headstay and secure bottom loop with cord down to deck so ball doesn't flip all around in the wind.
Use a net.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 10:49   #216

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My solution to the anchor ball: bought a cheap (3 AUD) basketball from K-Mart, spray-canned it black, sewed up a few feet of one-inch webbing into a sling with up and down haul loops. Seems to work OK, total cost less than five bucks.

And FWIW, I don't really think it provides any useful info to other vessels, but it gives one the high ground legally if run down at anchor in daylight. And sadly, this is not such a rare event. If displaying it makes me an up-tight prick in someone else's opinion, well, so be it. But if our friends who were run down by a fishing vessel whilst anchored off Scarborough Qld had been flying one, their days in court trying to get compensation would have been a bit less traumatic.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 08-05-2013, 11:19   #217

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I don't feel an anchor ball on a cruising yacht provides much extra information to yachts entering the anchorage, but I still always use one. When crusing internationaly you don't want to give authorities an excuse to board your yacht for an inspection.

The legal implications have been mentioned from an insurance point of view, but the (admittedly rare) possibility of a collision with a local boat involving death or injury need to be considered. The police, judge etc are likely to be residents of the same area. Crossing the t's and dotting the i's is sensible.

Don't judge your fellow crusing sailors that are displaying an anchor ball too harshly, rather than a pedantic personality its more likely they have cruised regions where day shapes are expected. Invite them or a drink and they are likely to some interesting tales.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:31   #218
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Don't judge your fellow crusing sailors that are displaying an anchor ball too harshly, rather than a pedantic personality its more likely they have cruised regions where day shapes are expected. Invite them or a drink and they are likely to some interesting tales.
is it going to be hanging balls?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:38   #219
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
My solution to the anchor ball: bought a cheap (3 AUD) basketball from K-Mart, spray-canned it black, sewed up a few feet of one-inch webbing into a sling with up and down haul loops. Seems to work OK, total cost less than five bucks.

And FWIW, I don't really think it provides any useful info to other vessels, but it gives one the high ground legally if run down at anchor in daylight. And sadly, this is not such a rare event. If displaying it makes me an up-tight prick in someone else's opinion, well, so be it. But if our friends who were run down by a fishing vessel whilst anchored off Scarborough Qld had been flying one, their days in court trying to get compensation would have been a bit less traumatic.

Cheers,

Jim
I love the idea. Was already shopping for alternatives to the US$50-100 "marine grade" balls. So how's the black paint holding up?

As far as being an up-tight prick, gee isn't that obvious on the forum.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:42   #220
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I love the idea. Was already shopping for alternatives to the US$50-100 "marine grade" balls. So how's the black paint holding up?
The Plastimo model is $16 USD at WM.
PLASTIMO Anchorball at West Marine
Old 08-05-2013, 11:48   #221
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
^^Exactly!^^An anchor ball tells you nothing that is useful other than the boatowner is a stickler about the rules, assuming they are showing it properly. If you are close enough to see the anchor ball I bet you are close enough to see the anchor rode leading down into the water. But, even if you can't see either, what does that mean you are now allowed to do? You can't just cut in front of them or pass too close, because I guess you are assuming they are underway.
Have to agree. I think the main benefit for hanging an anchor ball is just CYA for various possibilities like insurance, the local rule enforcers, etc.

One other benefit, it might be a real conversation starter for the 90% of the boaters that have no idea what it means and stop to ask.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:51   #222

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If displaying it makes me an up-tight prick in someone else's opinion, well, so be it.
Maybe up-tight, but not a prick.
I do hope everyone took my comment with humor.

Lighting up your boat at anchor is important, I'm surprised nobody has taken up my suggestion of lighting the hull from below.
Or like a car, having a remote that flashes a light or two to ID your boat
seems an easy thing to do (blue light I guess, no conflict there)

I am thinking of having a running led billboard that goes around the cabin 360-degrees displaying messages, like at basketball stadiums.
"Boat at Anchor" in different languages. "Leave Me Alone I'm Eating",
"Free Beer on Tuesday", wind speed, date and time and temp, etc.

And since I'll be selling ICE from the boat, need to advertise "ICE on Sale"

Do you think this is illegal and not COLREG approved, there may be white lights that turn on/off.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:56   #223
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The Plastimo model is $16 USD at WM.
PLASTIMO Anchorball at West Marine
But that isn't a ball, that's two disks hooked together.

I guess it does look like a ball from a distance or slightly oval from certain angles. And it will fold flat and fit under a cushion or something for storage.

But it's not a ball.

Maybe my OCD is showing?
Old 08-05-2013, 11:58   #224

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I met a crusing boat once that hoisted their mainsail at anchor and used it as as a screen to display a movie after dusk.

Nobody was going to run into them while it was playing.

I am not sure if it was SOLAS approved
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:31   #225
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Maybe my OCD is showing?
No worries. Paint it black and run it up to the first spreader.

Tags
anchor