Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 00:53   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post

Why would you want the power draw?
Displaying a black ball is just a simple safety regulation and universally understood. It leaves no doubt you are anchored (presence of rode may not always make that clear). It is inexpensive and easy to comply with. Why fight it?
Because he doesn't have one. It's what most discussions here are based on: what one does have is good; what one doesn't have must therefor be silly or not required no matter what

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 00:56   #92

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7
Re: A Plea For Decent Anchor Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Why would you want the power draw?
Displaying a black ball is just a simple safety regulation and universally understood. It leaves no doubt you are anchored (presence of rode may not always make that clear). It is inexpensive and easy to comply with. Why fight it?
Are you serious! I was making a tongue in cheek comment. However, With almost universal exception no cruiser ever fly a black ball and most would not know the meaning. Duh! All the boats are stationary, in a location that I think would be ideal to anchor in. Better check to see if they are anchored by the presence of black balls in the rigging. Get serious not pedantic.
And LED lights draw less than 0.1 amp.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 00:57   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Because he doesn't have one. It's what most discussions here are based on: what one does have is good; what one doesn't have must therefor be silly or not required no matter what
Er sorry but I do have a shape in actual fact, Just never used it.
Old 06-05-2013, 01:00   #94
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
I think you nailed it .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:16   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

The display of anchor balls varies significantly from country to country. In some parts of the world they are seen rarely, in other areas its unusual to see a crusing boat without one.
Personally I always display one, but I am not bothered if other yachts choose not to do so.(in contrast to my view on anchor lights). It is usually unambiguous if a yacht is anchored, or not.

On these threads there is always a long discussion on legal requirements.
The law does only specify minimium standards and I think many yachtsmen feel unduly smug and content compiling with these standards without properly considering that exceeding these legal demands can bring worthwhile gains in safety.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:28   #96

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frant View Post
Are you serious! I was making a tongue in cheek comment. However, With almost universal exception no cruiser ever fly a black ball and most would not know the meaning. Duh! All the boats are stationary, in a location that I think would be ideal to anchor in. Better check to see if they are anchored by the presence of black balls in the rigging. Get serious not pedantic.
And LED lights draw less than 0.1 amp.
Your post shows that your cruising has been limited in area. The pictures that are shown in this thread are not photoshopped to fool you, they are real. But they are obviously not from your local lawlessness area

Old 06-05-2013, 02:23   #97

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
However, With almost universal exception no cruiser ever fly a black ball and most would not know the meaning.
We were one time sat in a beautiful anchorage in Corsica along with 6-7 other sailboats when the "Guardia costiera" swung their mean-looking motor boat into the bay. They launched their jib and went around every boat in turn with the exception of ours. I could see through the binocs that papers/fines were being issued on each boat - and a couple boats even changed flag from German back to Italian (German bareboat charterers I guess).

Prior to the arrival of the CG were the only ones flying a black ball - after the Guardia left every boat was!
Old 06-05-2013, 03:51   #98

Quote:
Your post shows that your cruising has been limited in area. The pictures that are shown in this thread are not photoshopped to fool you, they are real. But they are obviously not from your local lawlessness area
Hmm! Whatever you say as far as my limited cruising goes. I guess if you honestly think that display of black balls makes a single shred of difference to boat safety and that lack of display constitutes lawlessnessn then that in itself tells me enough about your analytical thinking processes to make an educated guess as to your character. I have cruised enough to know that I choose not to anchor near those that are flying black balls cause they tend to be self righteous gits. Get a sense of humour.
cheers
Old 06-05-2013, 04:05   #99

Quote:
Hmm! Whatever you say as far as my limited cruising goes. I guess if you honestly think that display of black balls makes a single shred of difference to boat safety and that lack of display constitutes lawlessnessn then that in itself tells me enough about your analytical thinking processes to make an educated guess as to your character. I have cruised enough to know that I choose not to anchor near those that are flying black balls cause they tend to be self righteous gits. Get a sense of humour.
cheers
I fly a black ball as im sure it helps in insurance claims ... plastic one broke in 25kts after 4 days... pissed me off (typical standard low quality not really marine product)... so now i bought a steel one... bit big though, so maybe a black round fender type would be better.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:36   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
There is no way around it I think I and the rest of us need to get a black ball.

Rule 30
Anchored vessels and vessels aground.
(a) A vessel at anchor shall exhibit where it can best be seen:
(i) in the fore part, an all-round white light or one ball;
(ii) at or near the stern and at a lower level that the light prescribed in paragraph (i), an all-round white light.

(b) A vessel of less than 50 metres in length may exhibit an all-round white light where it can best be seen instead of the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule.

(c) A vessel at anchor may, and a vessel of 100 metres and more in length shall, also use the available working or equivalent lights to illuminate her decks.

(d) A vessel aground shall exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule and in addition, where they can best be seen:
(i) two all-round red lights in a vertical line;
(ii) three balls in a vertical line.

(e) A vessel of less than 7 metres in length, when at anchor, not in or near a narrow channel, fairway or anchorage, or where other vessels normally navigate, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shape prescribed in paragraphs (a) and (b) of this Rule.

(f) A vessel of less than 12 metres in length, when aground, shall not be required to exhibit the lights or shapes prescribed in sub-paragraphs (d) (i) and (ii) of this Rule.
Simon, help me out here please. None of the rule pedants have yet picked me up that you haven't quoted rule 20. I thought that they would be all over it.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:37   #101
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: A Plea For Decent Anchor Lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuss View Post
I fly a black ball as im sure it helps in insurance claims ... plastic one broke in 25kts after 4 days... pissed me off (typical standard low quality not really marine product)... so now i bought a steel one... bit big though, so maybe a black round fender type would be better.
Last time I had a Black Ball... I hit the bustard....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
cheers
Me is the one to get a sense of humor?! I guess that you failed to notice not one but two emoticons in my post? You have resorted to personal insults now. Those are not humorous, you should stop that please. It's also against forum rules plus it just shows you are at the end of any decent arguments about this.

Also I think these rules were not designed to annoy people like you. These rules were designed to improve safety, so yes, I think these make a shred of difference. And many with me. You try to ridicule those that conform to the rules just because you think you know better than those rules. You better not anchor in Europe or any of the European islands in the Caribbean... I have seen tickets being written for this issue in most of them.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:01   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Simon, help me out here please. None of the rule pedants have yet picked me up that you haven't quoted rule 20. I thought that they would be all over it.
Why don't you help us rule pedants out here... tell us which rules your importantness feels are to be followed and which ones are to be ignored? Anchor light? Right of way? Where do you put your line of pedantness?

To answer your question: may be because some rule pedants know the rules without looking them up? May be some of them even passed exams on the subject? How absurd do you find that, volunteering for exams about this stuff and receiving certificats of competance if you pass? Must be a big joke to you, I can imagine you ROFL

Old 06-05-2013, 05:02   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
The display of anchor balls varies significantly from country to country. In some parts of the world they are seen rarely, in other areas its unusual to see a crusing boat without one.
Personally I always display one, but I am not bothered if other yachts choose not to do so.(in contrast to my view on anchor lights). It is usually unambiguous if a yacht is anchored, or not.
That's about my take as well. I try not to let the average of cruising sailors dictate my degree of maritime professionalism.

And in regard to seeing rhode, I'm currently in La Paz in full waltz, backwards to the wind with white snubber along the white hull.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:15   #105

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Displaying a black ball is just a simple safety regulation and universally understood.
99.9% of boaters within the USA (at least on the East Coast) wouldn't even notice, and if they did they wouldn't have a clue what it meant. Yes, I know it is the law, but here's my question for everyone. What possible practical use is an anchor ball in telling anyone any piece of useful information with regard to a pleasure boat? Let's assume I notice the ball and I know what it means. OK, so what, the boat is at anchor. Does that mean if there was no anchor ball I could assume I could pass within inches of his bow? Obviously no, because he might be underway. What useful piece of information does an anchor ball convey? Why do I need confirmation it is at anchor when I can just as easily (probably more easily) see the anchor rode leading down into the water and notice that the boat isn't moving?

Tags
anchor