Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 16:12   #136
cruiser

Boat: Lightwave, Catamaran, 11.5m (38')
Re: A Plea For Decent Anchor Lights.

Noelex,

I agree with your plea. But as said you are mainly speaking to the converted. We would be happy if people used even masthead lights, we have arrived in anchorages at 2am and found a fleet of boats largely using garden lights none of which are emitting even the faintest of glows. The worst was a lovely 60' yacht painted dark cherry red, with no lights at all (In Schooner Bay).

The word selfish comes to mind.

On our cat we have 2 'runabout'. all round whites LEDs, on about an 18 inch pole which sit on our targa bar, we put them in each time we arrive (and take them out before we leave (or the boom would take them out). They show fore and aft and sit just above boom cover height, the boom cover has reflective tape. They light the top of the cabin roof.

We too would use radar in inclement weather when entering an anchorage at night and certainly if its misty. Cheap, re-chargeablr spotlights are also invaluable.

The same comment, masthead anchor lights, could be said of nav lights, deck nav lights are much more sensible when working where other close quarter vessels might be anticipated. Masthead lights are fine offshore but much less easy to see against an urban background in a narrow channel.

Jonathan
JonJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 16:26   #137
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

estarzinger--thankyou for that....i had brighter lighting in sd, as i was testing out these anchor lights i have. is good to know about the anchorages--i believe the uscg designated those used by the port of sd before leased to mooring company, but i am not certain, i had been advised that they were such and no lights were needed on our moorings.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 16:35   #138

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
To me someone displaying an anchor day shape indicates an understanding of the regs and a level of professionalism and will tick the boxes in the event of an incident.
I would probably stay away from such a boat and the people on them, as they would be pedantic rule followers and box tickers, not the kind I enjoy being around.
I would have a jack-in-the-box antenna ball
nimblemotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 16:58   #139

Boat: Camano Troll

I have very limited experience running after dark, but from what I have, I think I would be able to see boats in an anchorage and avoid them.

As for the anchor balls, I don't bother to look for them because recreational boaters just do not use them in my area. If a captain runs into an anchored boat in the daytime because it was not showing an anchor ball, he/she has no business operating a boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 17:09   #140

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
I would probably stay away from such a boat and the people on them, as they would be pedantic rule followers and box tickers, not the kind I enjoy being around.
I would have a jack-in-the-box antenna ball
ROFL

The universal, "Leave me alone, I'm eating!" signal.

Or, maybe the universal, "Soon hurling over the rail! Stand Clear!" signal?
Old 06-05-2013, 20:25   #141

One thing has me a bit concerned, being a retired LEO. Some young, ambitious point scoring official may have read this thread, and at this moment is not only sharpening his pencil but signing out a whole bushel of pens and infringement pads. The old saying 5 a day keeps the Sergeant well there's a book full in every bay.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 23:20   #142

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
One thing has me a bit concerned, being a retired LEO. Some young, ambitious point scoring official may have read this thread, and at this moment is not only sharpening his pencil but signing out a whole bushel of pens and infringement pads. The old saying 5 a day keeps the Sergeant well there's a book full in every bay.
We don't have to panic just yet Simon. Here in lawlessness Australia the boating safety regulations are set by the State governments up to 2 nmile from shore (This I am pretty sure will cover most anchoring situations) .In your lovely state of Qld the requirements to show day shapes is restricted to commercial craft. In Victoria and Tasmania day shapes do not come under required safety equipment (surprise surprise) so your young ambitious officer is likely to get his knuckles rapped for wasting police resources to try to prosecute non existent crime.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 00:33   #143

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

I think I saw in Australian or Courier Mail today that the Commonwealth takes over all marine boat registrations from States in July as a result of trying to standardize marine regs.

Just what that means at present I am not sure???

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nati...-1226114057414
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 00:42   #144

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
I think I saw in Australian or Courier Mail today that the Commonwealth takes over all marine boat registrations from States in July as a result of trying to standardize marine regs.

Just what that means at present I am not sure???

Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian
They are bringing commercial licensing under the federal banner. The QLD'ers are bitchin' and moanin' cos this makes there licensing fees increase up to threefold.

Nothing to do with recreational users ...... Yet!
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:38   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
We light up the decks like a cruise ship. We have five solar LED stanchion lights on Port side and five on Starboard side. Have been doing this for ten years now.
Solar LED lights are much better now than they used to be.
Our boat is easier and safer to walk around at night.
It’s a lot easier to find your boat in fog or fowl weather.

We tend to anchor in a lot of remote locations where few boats are, so good lighting is a must have.
They look the goods....

Would you have the make/part number available.....be appreciated
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46   #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
They are bringing commercial licensing under the federal banner. The QLD'ers are bitchin' and moanin' cos this makes there licensing fees increase up to threefold.

Nothing to do with recreational users ...... Yet!
The fees will be the least of their worries.....

Welcome to the AMSA fold......
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:44   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by frant View Post
We don't have to panic just yet Simon. Here in lawlessness Australia the boating safety regulations are set by the State governments up to 2 nmile from shore (This I am pretty sure will cover most anchoring situations) .In your lovely state of Qld the requirements to show day shapes is restricted to commercial craft. In Victoria and Tasmania day shapes do not come under required safety equipment (surprise surprise) so your young ambitious officer is likely to get his knuckles rapped for wasting police resources to try to prosecute non existent crime.
Its not local that has me concerned. And my last trip across the Pacific I never displayed or owned a day shape when anchoring and I still don't. But weather permitting I shall soon be anchoring around New Caledonia and Vanuatu and maybe others. I can't find anything on French requirements and Vanuatu, well its Vanuatu.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:01   #148

Boat: Beneteau 393
I like the idea of small solar lights supplementing the all-round mast light in theory. But do you all take them down when not anchored and put them back up again at your next anchorage? If not do you just leave them up, or just take them down when night sailing? Do you use zipties?

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:17   #149
CLOD

Boat: none

just leave them up and turn them off when underway at night so they don't look like nav lights, most come with a set of various mounts and mine just slide on/off a bracket
Old 07-05-2013, 04:22   #150

Boat: Beneteau 393
Ahh makes sense now- I didn't realize some of them came with an on/off switch! Thanks-

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor