Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 15:18   #16

Boat: Ranger 22, currently saving for a larger cruising boat
Hi wheels, My freind had a winch that had the same problem but he switched to a warn and never had that problem again even thogh he went through some salt water with it.
Old 05-10-2008, 22:25   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
GMac - 7.7 meters - And yes it's almost a mooring. It barely fits in the locker.

I think the biggest help for me would be a bow roller on a short sprit. Then you could haul the rode easier and not worry about dinging the boat when the anchor comes up.

Right now its lean over the pulpit and haul straight up. Ouch...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 22:38   #18

Boat: 38' Homebuilt Cutter - "Atticus"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
I would give it a week in the Salt environment. I had a big winch on my 4WD and it required constant maintenance to keep it all free of corrosion and I only played in Fresh water.
I agree. My friend Jack tried to use a 4x4 winch on his boat, and it worked great for about a week. It then sat unused for a few days, and then never worked again.

Some things you should buy marine grade....
Colorado Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 23:36   #19
Marine Service Provider

What about something like this Scotty?
Nilsson Seawinch rope anchor capstans docking and mooring winches furling winches
Thinking more the reel type at the bottom. A bit of a tweak and she might fit the bill. Maybe that 'line hauler' version. It's used by the crayfish and crab guys to pull up,their pots and some of those are in 1000mts of water. The line sits in-between the flange thingys which grip and pull it.

Ex-Calif - My boat is 9.3mts and has a alloy version of a 9kg steel anchor. I've sat through 45-50kts and didn't mover an inch. Save your back and get a new gen anchor in the 6-10 range. I'd almost go are far as to say a 15lb Supreme would be sweet as on your beast. I'd happily use a 8kg Rocna or 20lb Supreme on my boat but neither of them make those sizes
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:28   #20

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
gmac the mid speed winch is bascily what i am talking about. i would remove the factory drum and add a new drum like a winch. the motor and gear box would be below deck, which above. i would just need to make a bearing for the lateral load, a new winch drum, and a seal.
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:05   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post

Ex-Calif - My boat is 9.3mts and has a alloy version of a 9kg steel anchor. I've sat through 45-50kts and didn't mover an inch. Save your back and get a new gen anchor in the 6-10 range. I'd almost go are far as to say a 15lb Supreme would be sweet as on your beast. I'd happily use a 8kg Rocna or 20lb Supreme on my boat but neither of them make those sizes
Thanks GMac, it's on the list. The black beast came with the boat. A new anchor will eventually make it to the top of the priorities list - LOL...

15lbs sounds way better than 18 kilos!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:08   #22

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
You could try one of these but it may not be the least expensive option.

mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:16   #23

Arent those ATV winches real slow retrieval? There's a small outfit who makes an aluminum or stainless on deck electric spool winch similar to the one Gmac linked above, but I just cant find his site. I think he was in Michigan or somewhere in that area. He had four sizes that would stow a lot of line.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 13:43   #24

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
If I am in a deep anchorage and have trouble lifting the 30 ft 3/8 chain and 35 lb CQR from the deep I run the tail to the halyard winch on the mast. My "J" is about 15 ft and a short anchor roller adds a foot so I can get a lot of the chain weight in the boat before pulling the remainder in by hand. A chain hook on a short lead helps to tie it off if needed.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 00:55   #25

Boat: 1989 Riveria Tri toon custom 34'
Lightbulb Re: a crazy idea for an anchor winch

If your in fresh water and you want to EASILY modify a Harbor Freight 2500lb $79 winch into a portable anchor lifter then I know for a fact it will handle a 100lbs of anchors (25lb naval anchor and a Heineken mini keg filled with concrete and rubber coated/sealed) on 125' of anchor line rope.
I have 3 of these anchor setups on my 34' Pontoon boat, and my homemade modified portable anchor winch has NOT let me down in 2 years.
AND I use my boat a minimum of 2-4 days a week in summer and 1-3 days a week in winter.
RAIN or SHINE, HOT or SNOWING!

If its slightly windy out or nasty I zip down and button my canvas sides on my "Cabin". But then the canvas turns into 14' X 8' canvas "sails" that spin me, moves me, and will drag 3 20lb river anchor lines all over the bottom. Generally screwing with me trying to catch the nice 20-50lb catfish im so found of.

When I built my super anchors I found out they were AWESOME for keeping me glued to the bottom and facing down river,,
But try to lift 3 of them @ 100lbs each from 60-75 deep, BACK TO BACK in a HURRY because there is a HUGE COMMERCIAL BARGE flying around the river bend RIGHT AT WHERE YOUR FISHING,, DEAD CENTER of the Main River Channel!!!
I almost didnt have the energy to HAVE A HEART ATTACK or walk 15 feet sit at my helm and turn the ignition key!

Heres HOW I DID IT..
I made 3 quick dual tube mounts for the boat, a dual stake mount for the winch and wired 3 #6 gauge 12V terminal outlets. 6gauge was kinda overkill but I had it and it was free.

popped the winch apart , threw away the cheap aircraft cable, got rid of the cover that was over the old cable, TIG welded some "traction nubs" on the winches spool to help grab and guide the rope.
And weather proofed the winch a little.

All I do now is drop the winch into any one of the 3 mounts, plug it in, run the anchor line about 3 wraps around the spool and hit the cable in button.
hold a little light pressure on the free end of the line and feed it into my anchor line storage compartments as IT LIFTS my heavy anchors all the way up to where all i do is pull the anchors 1 foot onto my deck.
Twist the lock nut on the end slide the anchor rope off, turn around walk 10 foot and do it all again.

Never break a sweat, dont kill my back or hands, and yes it could be a little faster on the gear ratio, but its ONE HELLOFA lot faster and easier than me lifting them 3 times from 65ft deep.
And I got plenty of time to fire up the Mercury Tower of Power and scoot to a safe cove untill the BARGE has passed and his wake is no longer a threat.

My winch has gotten rained on a couple times over 2 years due to I FORGOT to stow it in the weatherproof deck box, and its had alot of heavy DEW and fog on it.
All I ever do is hit it with some compressed dry air, dry it with a blowdryer, shoot some BREAKFREE CLP or AEROKROIL on it, wipe it down and shoot some more compressed dry air on and thru it and its never let me down in 2 yrs.
But I did buy another winch and got to playing around and Home electro NICKLE PLATED IT, and I keep it on the boat as my back up, and I kinda show it off to people.

So for under $150, and if you got a normal ammount of common sense and a little time ,,,, You can do the same if you got 100lb anchors and your usually in deeper water. ITS PORTABLE, Its not out in the way, only see it when you need it.

I see no need to buy the $400 to $800 electric anchor lifters.
Unless you just GOT more money than you got ability to do it yourself.
The word BOAT does not always have to stand for :
Break Out Another Thousand!
Mr Mike n TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 09:31   #26

Re: a crazy idea for an anchor winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Arent those ATV winches real slow retrieval? There's a small outfit who makes an aluminum or stainless on deck electric spool winch similar to the one Gmac linked above, but I just cant find his site. I think he was in Michigan or somewhere in that area. He had four sizes that would stow a lot of line.
found similar one, but in China.. No idea if anyone actually sells these! Sell Winch - New Young Star Metal Co.,Ltd

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 10:08   #27

Boat: 1975 Pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Scotty,
Saltwater and cheap electric tools don't mix well. Have you thought of just getting an old good sized second hand jib sheet winch at a boat parts store and mounting it on the foredeck? I gave an old winch to a fisherman friend who was having the same kind of problems that you are and he was telling me for years how it came in so handy. It would work well on line and then you could hand up the chain? Or if you used it on the chain just replace it with another second hand winch a couple years later once the drum is chewed up.
Just a thought.
JohnL

I am thinking of something like this, but getting a drum made for chain for it,
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2012, 11:04   #28

A large two speed genoa sheet winch with an 18" two hand handle will get it up to the chain w/o much fuss...Mount it on the deck back by the helm and you can retrieve and steer at the same time...I do this using my genoa sheet winches when singlehanded and need to raise and steer at the same time..When the chain to rode splice gets to the winch I have the anchor about a about 10 feet under. I putt out to clean it and then retrieve the rest by hand and it's clean..The side deck may be a mess that gets cleaned after I clear the anchorage. For me muscle power is much more reliable than electric power..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:23   #29

I've been brainstorming over a manual version. Mainly, I'm concerned about my lady to be able to raise the anchor when needed (and it seems the need is always in the worst conditions) It would work similar to a boat trailer winch with a chain drum modified to fit it. Also, change the gear ratio to haul it up faster but still have a little more power that doing it by hand. I like the idea of it not being permanently mounted at the bow. Anyone see something like that so I don't have to reinvent it?
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:53   #30
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

I bought a Maxwell 1500 capstan and have never looked back. Windlass and chain cost $3000, but thats the cost of cruising. Sure less would work, but not if your anchoring every night.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor