Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 20:45   #31

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Lightbulb Re: 5/16 HT or 3/8 HT Chain?

Malbert73, just go to a Crosby shackle. A 7/16" has a 1/2" pin, which will fit your chain, & has a WLL of 2 2/3 tons. Which is about a ton more working load than your 5/16" HT chain.
The Crosby Group 2014 General Catalog

And if you do some digging online, you can find galvanized shackles that'll fit your chain that have an even higher WLL.

a64pilot, there's no need to have buying chain break your wallet. With a bit of Googlefu, you can find hot dipped 5/16" HT for $2.25 - $2.75/ft, delivered. Assuming that you buy a barrel, or half barrel. And at that price, it only makes sense to pick up a barrel. Throw half of it onto your primary hook, & keep the other half in your bilge as a spare. That, or put it on your #2, & #3 rodes.

Also, while your question about chain size is valid, given the tables & hype out there. If you get 5/16" HT, what do you think will fail first; the chain, or whatever's attaching it to the boat? That, & unless you're in a Hurricane or cruising the High latitudes, what's going to generate several tons of pull on your ground tackle? A load that I surely wouldn't want on any deck fitting on any boat I'm on.
I'm not trying to be bitingly cynical, just asking a probing, fairly realistic question.
That said, I'd gather that as long as you use a good snubber or two, you'll be fine with the chain size in question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
So with 5/16 HT chain, the galvanized shackles that actually fit seem to be the weak link by reading breaking loads and by just looking at them. I am using a suncor swivel shackle which is rated above chain strength. Is there a stronger option? SS makes me nervous even though I rinse in fresh water often.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:51   #32

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: 5/16 HT or 3/8 HT Chain?

On TN I have loaded 270' of 3/8" HT chain. Boat is 24,000 lbs.

Go all chain unless you love the hassle of manually having to handle the anchor rode. And use a swivel.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:46   #33

3/8 you will sleep better at night.

7/16 you will sleep very sound
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:54   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
And use a swivel.
Why is a swivel necessary?
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:05   #35

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsurvey View Post
3/8 you will sleep better at night.

7/16 you will sleep very sound
Why stop there?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:13   #36

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Why stop there?

Mark
Its a haiku?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 12:21   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Malbert73,
a64pilot, there's no need to have buying chain break your wallet. With a bit of Googlefu, you can find hot dipped 5/16" HT for $2.25 - $2.75/ft, delivered. Assuming that you buy a barrel, or half barrel. And at that price, it only makes sense to pick up a barrel. Throw half of it onto your primary hook, & keep the other half in your bilge as a spare. That, or put it on your #2, & #3 rodes.

OK, I'm sold seriously, if it can be bought for $2.25 to $2.75 a ft for a full barrel, delivered, I'll buy a barrel.
But I can't find it for close to that price, not US made G40 chain anyway, do you know of a supplier? Please post or send me a PM.
I'm not doubting you, just can't find it, but I am pretty close to computer illiterate, look how long it took for me to get an avatar.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 13:47   #38

Boat: Spindrift 46 Center Cockpit

We replaced our Lofrans Tigres windlass last spring and changed from 3/8” BBB to HT 5/16. Everything about the change is good, especially when anchoring in deep water, which is what damaged our original windlass. Most locations we anchor or 35-50 feet, sometimes 90-100 and occasionally 120 feet. We have a 60# CQR. The weight of the old chain continually damaged the gypsy because the weight would cause slippage.

Eventually, the windlass was damaged.
Since the changeover to the HT 5/16 we have anchored times. Even in 120 feet of water, the windlass is no longer stressed. We have 350 feet chain and a reserve of 350 feet of nylon road which we have not gone to yet. We have not dragged. However, the strongest winds we had were 25 knots in 85 feet with 300 feet of chain out.

We also switched to an up and down button rather than a free fall going out as in the past. This is much better. The windlass likes it.

We also went to a wired and wireless remote (by Lewmar). We only use the wireless. It works perfectly. Since it is a CQR I go forward and push it over a bit, then cruise the anchorage looking for the spot. Once found, stop the boat and push the down button. When the anchor is on the bottom let the wind push the boat back and let out as bout drifts downwind. Then set it.

We then attach a very long snubber. In 35 feet of water - 30 feet, in 60 feet or more, a 50 foot snubber. Only the chain is on the bottom.

Joe
frantzjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 14:18   #39
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Why stop there?

Mark
Wow....a lot of over-thinking here. 5/16 or 3/8 HT off the shelf will be fine on the IP 38 with a good anchor. Anchoring isn't rocket science. Save your money for rum/beer, and go cruising.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 14:48   #40

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

We saved our money and are cruising - and using 5/16" chain on a 42' catamaran.

My comment was intended to be humorous, because 7/16" is way overkill on an IP38. Frankly, I think 3/8" is too, and I was attempting to show the illogic of using chain size to determine how one sleeps.

At 5/8", one could saw logs in a drunken stupor, no?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 15:09   #41
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Mark
And larger than 5/8" you wouldn't even need the anchor.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 15:28   #42
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
We saved our money and are cruising - and using 5/16" chain on a 42' catamaran.

My comment was intended to be humorous, because 7/16" is way overkill on an IP38. Frankly, I think 3/8" is too, and I was attempting to show the illogic of using chain size to determine how one sleeps.

Mark
Sorry for the confusion Mark. My post was regarding what bsurvey says, that you quoted in your post.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 18:55   #43

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Just sent a PM your way, with several different suppliers & POC's. Plus the results of a quickie search that I did, looking for chain.
I'm sure that most of us will be curious to hear about what happens along the way, & with whom, in your quest for chain. And ditto on your satisfaction level if/when you get to working with what Santa sends you in that barrel.

Good luck with "re-connecting with the earth" (via your hook, & new chain)

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, I'm sold seriously, if it can be bought for $2.25 to $2.75 a ft for a full barrel, delivered, I'll buy a barrel.
But I can't find it for close to that price, not US made G40 chain anyway, do you know of a supplier? Please post or send me a PM.
I'm not doubting you, just can't find it, but I am pretty close to computer illiterate, look how long it took for me to get an avatar.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 05:39   #44

Boat: Tartan 40

Ayone have any experience with these:

http://www.suncorstainless.com/unive...ainless-swivel

I have been using one this season instead of shackle as it comes up over roller easier, and I suspect may allow shank of my rocna to be buried easier.

Just wondering if I am setting up for an issue?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 06:48   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Just sent a PM your way, with several different suppliers & POC's. Plus the results of a quickie search that I did, looking for chain.
I'm sure that most of us will be curious to hear about what happens along the way, & with whom, in your quest for chain. And ditto on your satisfaction level if/when you get to working with what Santa sends you in that barrel.

Good luck with "re-connecting with the earth" (via your hook, & new chain)
I'll let you know, appreciate the help. I've got another member with a commercial account pricing chain and windlass for me as well. I appreciate the help

Good thing CF exists, it's saved me a bunch of money so far
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote