Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2013, 12:34   #1

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
3 Strand or 8 Plait for Anchor Line

In a previous thread we discussed my rode hockling problem. I'm ready to pull the trigger on a new rode. Some folks have tried to convince me that there's nothing wrong with 3 strand, just that there's something wrong with the 3 strand that I have here. Maybe somebody towed a cruise ship with it once? Others have said that 8 plait is the only way to go and that it will cure my problems and live longer. I'm convinced of that but I'm also convinced that there is something wrong with what I have here.
250' 3/4" three strand is $250.00
250' 5/8" 8 plait is $407.50 and they're virtually the same strength.
Should I spend the extra money?
Getting them to me here in Puerto Vallarta is another can O worms but I think I have that figured out.
Old 13-02-2013, 12:37   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: 3 Strand or 8 Plait for anchor line

please use all chain so your boat doesnt go the way the yawl in la cruz in the anchorage did sooo many times--many rocks on bottom in mexico....even chan is ruined quickly...rope rode is chafed thru really fast--took less than 2 weeks for the blue yawl to disappear.....they used rope plus chain.....equals gone.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 12:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I didn't read about your "rode hockling" problems, but octoplait doesn't twist and is much nicer to handle. The only advantage of three-strand, besides price, is that it is much easier to splice.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 12:45   #4

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

I would love to Zee but I simply do not have the money.
All chain would be getting close to $1800.00.
Old 13-02-2013, 13:20   #5
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
I would love to Zee but I simply do not have the money.
All chain would be getting close to $1800.00.
Then you need to buy 2nd hand chain. The areas you are sailing in, you really need all chain like zeehag stated.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 15:58   #6

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
I recently replaced my main rode which was aging New England Ropes 3 strand with Yale Brait. Both worked very well, but the Brait piles up beautifully in the rode locker. It also seems to have eliminated yawing at anchor, but not sure if that is due to the different construction or new vs. old nylon. Sounds like you may have purchased a subpar 3 strand. There is a lot of it out there and I've seen cheap Chinese stuff hockle like it was designed to do nothing else.
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:38   #7
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Do you have a windlass? 8 plait will cooperate with the gypsy far better than 3 strand.
Old 13-02-2013, 16:52   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

It is always an 8-plait for me: no kinks, flakes better, easier on the hands and takes up less space in the locker.

We have 3-strand on one of our kedge warps and it is OK too though.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 16:55   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Do you have at least 50 feet of chain? I think that gives you a pretty good compromise and if you can go for 100 feet you will be on all chain or mostly chain in a lot of places. In any case, I have always purchased quality 3-strand and it lasts forever and ever. Sure, the multiplaits are wonderful ropes, if you can afford the price, but I have also had a brand new rode cut in two by a powerboat, so I don't cry as much with 3-strand when that happens. It is much easier to do a long splice if you need to put two pieces of three strand together. Strangely, not that many people use double-braid, but it is in-between in price, flakes beautifully, and lasts a really long time. It doesn't have quite as much stretch as 3-strand, but it certainly has a lot more than all chain. You can find some deals on double braid.
Old 13-02-2013, 16:56   #10

Boat: C&C 34

We have 8 plait with a windlass. As mentioned above it goes through the windlass quite a bit better than 3 strand and it falls into the anchor locker like a dream.

It really is worth the extra money IMO. Defender has a 220' 8 plait with 30' of 5/16 G4 chain for $326.59 USD. They do ship internationally.

8 Plait Rope And HT Chain Anchor Rode
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 17:05   #11

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Zee has it right !! 1800 bucks! whats your boat worth?? and your stuff aboard !! and your butt if it parts at night when your sleeping ! Chain is heavey yes! but it's worth the price and the weight ! Ive went cheap and used rode instead of chain ! and it almost cost me my boat in coral country!! I learned the hard way ! and thats not the best way to learn !! believe me !!LOL
Old 13-02-2013, 17:13   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Don't know what the depths are where the OP is anchoring, but if you have 100 feet of chain you can anchor in 20 feet or more of water and your rope won't be on the bottom.
Old 13-02-2013, 17:20   #13

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I'm with Zee and bobconnie on this one. No question chain is more expensive but consider that you won't sleep well in many anchorages with a non-chain rode. Not only do you stand to lose your boat and its contents but you may lose your life as well to say nothing of the sleepless nights. Mind you, like bobconnie, I spent a number of years working the water commercially and don't ever recall a vessel I shipped aboard not having a chain rode. There are probably some deals on used chain in Mexico if you scout around a bit in marinas and put the word out in the cruising community. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 17:36   #14

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I would not have anything but an all chain rode for my primary anchor. I get out the three strand rope for stern anchors, drogues, and lines to shore.

I would have never gotten off my catamaran during our circumnavigation if I didn't have an all chain rode.

I will never forget seeing a Tartan 40 that went up on the reef in the Tuamotus of French Polynesia. The nylon rode parted while the people were off the boat for a couple of hours, and that was the end of the yacht.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2013, 18:04   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Here's another vote for all chain. Doesn't matter that you are not in coral country... I remember back in the 80's when two yachts were on the beach in Monterrey Bay within a few days. A search found that there was a bit of sharp metal debris sticking up from the otherwise clear sand/mud bottom, and that was all it took for those two rope rodes.

Your choice, of course, but here you have had similar advice from some experienced cruisers who hardly ever agree about anything else!!

Cheers,

Jim

Tags
anchor