Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 09:49   #91

Boat: Bristol 47.7
Re: 3 Strand or 8 Plait for Anchor Line

I recently purchased Crosby chain connecting links that have a WLL that matches my 3/8" BBB chain. I will use one of these to permanently connect two lengths of chain that are 75' & 125'. From what I've read here & elsewhere, it seems that 200' of chain with another 100-200' of 8-plait shackled on the end would be more than adequate. It sounds like Evans' practice of using adhesive, SS mousing wire, and then Dyneema to secure the two halves of the link is excellent insurance.

Jedi's connecting link was an extremely heavy duty piece that he sourced from West Marine. As I recall, he uses 3/8" G7 chain so needs a connector that matches or exceeds the high WLL of his chain.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 09:53   #92

Boat: Leopard 40 catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to c.spots

ased on my very limited experience of one, my high tensile hammered link, same size, fared much better than the regular chain it attached. That is, much less pitting and rust.

Life shouldn't be a race to the finish line - enjoy the journey.
c.spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:37   #93
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Here is that link again: G70 rating for 3/8" chain

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 14:47   #94

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
Here is that link again: G70 rating for 3/8" chain
Now that looks much better to me than the C-link thingies, and it is openable and reusable.
Old 17-03-2013, 14:48   #95

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post

Now that looks much better to me than the C-link thingies, and it is openable and reusable.
Yep, and it keeps spacing between links intact so gypsy is happy too

Old 17-03-2013, 15:12   #96
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

jedi--where does one find those, and do they have em for 5/16 ht....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 15:14   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
jedi--where does one find those, and do they have em for 5/16 ht....
You have to look around, I found it at West Marine, it is in their catalog. I don't know if they have a 5/16 size, but G70 is much stronger than ht so that would be good.

Old 21-03-2013, 07:50   #98

unfortunately there wa s yet another loss in a cruz anchorage--i was advised the chafe was 5 ft toward the boat from the chain where rope was chafed by rocks....is very sad this still happens......

Mariners Save Duct Tape

March 20, 2013 – La Cruz, Mexico

Duct tape comes to the rescue of mariners all the time. In this case, the mariners came to the rescue of Duct Tape.

Julia Siudyla and her husband Josh quit their jobs in 2012 to spend a year cruising Mexico aboard their Columbia 36 Sweet Cherri. The young Alameda couple were anchored off La Cruz, on the north shore of Mexico's Banderas Bay, on Saturday when they watched helplessly as the imperiled cruising sloop Duct Tape dragged anchor and fetched up on the rocks. "We witnessed one of the most heart wrenching sights a mariner can endure — another mariner in severe distress," wrote Julia.

Duct Tape dragged anchor onto this rocky reef off the La Cruz shoreline.
© 2013 Julia Siudyla

"Our neighbors dragged anchor and ran aground, getting battered against the rocks in the surf. We watched paralyzed in fear for their safety. We listened to their calls for help on the VHF radio. There wasn't much we could do, as we do not have a dinghy with a motor. The boat, Duct Tape, was swept onto the rocks in 15-knot winds on a rising tide. Almost immediately, five dinghies went to try to assist them. The Good Samaritans tried everything to pull them off the rocks.

Fellow mariners risked life and limb to save the stricken sailboat.
© 2013 Julia Siudyla

"After about 20-25 minutes of futile attempts by the sailors on the dinghies, several Mexican fishermen in pangas showed up to help. It took the boaters on the pangas and dinghies at least another 20-25 minutes of working together to get the boat freed and towed into the La Cruz Marina. Seeing everyone who could come together to save this boat, to save these people's home, was one of the most spectacular things I have ever witnessed. As they were freed, the anchorage was alive with other boaters in the anchorage sounding their air horns. I was not the only one holding my breath.

"The distress call had gone out: 'Pan pan...pan pan...pan pan...calling all mariners: There is a vessel in distress in the vicinity of La Cruz. All mariners in the vicinity are requested to keep a sharp lookout and assist if possible.' This call was answered today."

please take care when anchoring in rocky shores to use chain and make sure your anchor is well set. 15 kts breezes are nothing in la cruz anchorage.
sad day for duct tape. i hope they can salvage her.
Old 21-03-2013, 07:59   #99

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

The story said Duck Tape dragged. No mention of rope.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2013, 08:08   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The story said Duck Tape dragged. No mention of rope.

i was advised by 3 of the neighbors in that anchorage of this incident and i was advised of yet another a couple of weeks ago, also--- NOT EVERY DETAIL IS MENTIONED.
yes i still have good buddies in la cruz anchorage and in the town of la cruz de huanacaxtle, in nayarit, mexico. i was only there for 10 months.

the boats that go walkabout in that anchorage are usually due to rope chafe from the geological formations under the water. each and every time there is a walkabout by a boat it is called dragging anchor, even tho there is no anchor dragging.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:01   #101

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

We were involved in the rescue of Duct Tape. The anchor rode was cut near the end of the chain by a sharp rock. There is no question, in my mind, that that's what happened. I had that line in my hands.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:21   #102

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

At the end of the rescue the woman who wrote the story was still sitting on her boat.
At the end of the rescue I was soaking wet, dirty, and bleeding. My son was soaked and continuing to pump our sinking dinghy. My wife was soaked and on the boat Duct Tape.
I'd say that my perspective is different than the writer's.
Old 21-03-2013, 09:24   #103

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sww914 View Post
At the end of the rescue the woman who wrote the story was still sitting on her boat.
At the end of the rescue I was soaking wet, dirty, and bleeding. My son was soaked and continuing to pump our sinking dinghy. My wife was soaked and on the boat Duct Tape.
I'd say that my perspective is different than the writer's.
How typical that is... I've said it before, it's always the same types to help rescue and the same types needing rescue

And not all-chain rode. And still CF members refusing to believe it... until they need rescue too
Old 21-03-2013, 23:11   #104

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How typical that is... I've said it before, it's always the same types to help rescue and the same types needing rescue

And not all-chain rode. And still CF members refusing to believe it... until they need rescue too
Totally agree. You are 110% correct.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 09:17   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

just to provide some facts/numbers on the chain connector question . . .

Crosby are the people who I would buy any of these from. They are a very high quality supplier who proof test pretty much everything, and they offer all the major options.

so taking their data (which is apples to apples) and looking at tensile strength to make sure that different working load safety factors are not being used:

G4 chain = 8100lbs tensile

G4 C Connector = 11,000lbs

G7 H connector = 21,600lbs (what Jedi is suggesting)

So, Jedi's connector is certainly stronger than the G4 C connector. However, the C connector is a bit stronger than the matching chain. If I was using G7 chain like Jedi I would use the same connector he is using.

But if you are using regular or G4 chain (which the vast majority of us are using) the question is: is a connector that is 35% stronger than the chain acceptable (the C connector that I use), or do you 'need' or want one that is almost double the strength of the chain.

I actually have a couple of the H connectors on board, but in practice I use the C connectors because (a) I find they run thu the windless a little better, (b) I think they are less likely to accidentally come undone (lose a cotter pin on the H and it comes apart), and (c) I think they C are well strong enough.

But I would certainly not be bothered by either connector, they are both perfectly acceptable.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor