Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 04:38   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: 2 Anchors, but only 1 Roller - A Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seas the Day View Post
tandom . . . . I for one would like to know more about this method.
Perhaps the most useful detail for this technique is attaching a smallish (10mm say) floating line between the two anchors. It is 'fixed' to the forward most anchor, and clipped to the anchor closer to then boat, and a bit longer than the chain between those two anchors.

When you retrieve the set-up, you bring the first anchor home in the normal way. Then you unclip the floating line from that anchor and use it to bring up the other anchor. Makes retrieval rather easier.

Beyond that there are some debates about how long the chain between the two anchors should be and where/how to attach them to the anchor closest to the boat. I personally used a 15' section of chain, which worked just fine, and I attached it to the front of the anchor as 'low' a possible - the rocna had a perfectly positioned hole designed for this, while the bruce had a hole that was theoretically less well positioned but which work fine for me (and everyone else I directly talked to). I thought about drilling a 'better' placed/stronger hole in the bruce, but never did it because the one there worked just fine.

We used a danforth in front of the 'main anchor' (which was usually a bruce type). There is some theoretical discussion about whether it was theoretically better to have two plows in series (so say our bruce in front of our rocna), but we did not do that because the danforth was easier to handle.
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor