Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2015, 14:17   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50
Zodiac Classic Mark 1

Anybody have experience using a Zodiac Mark 1 for their tender? It is a PVC boat and I am wondering how well it holds up in the tropics and just in general.

I have a Zodiac Zoom that I've been using in the PNW for the last 15 years. I am planning on selling it (it is old on the tooth) and picking up a Aluminum floor Zodiac Cadet. The Cadet will be my tender for the next 5 years or so.

Then I'll be able to head out for some extended cruising and would pick up another tender at that time (like the Mark 1).

regards
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2015, 15:52   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Zodiac Classic Mark 1

Pretty sure the 'Mark' Series of Zodiac Dinghies were Hypalon with inflatable keel. That series was the most expensive of the consumer range of inflatbles just below the super duty commercial type. There were a few boats who had them when we were out equipped with 25hp motors. They'd plane with a boat load of people with that power. The hard bottomed inflatables have probably replaced them for most people.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2015, 22:04   #3
Marine Service Provider

For what PVC inflatables cost from China on Ebay these days it would pay to budget for a new one after several years or less. They really are cheap. I got 4.2 metres PVC for AUD$900. Should be way less in the US or elsewhere and I assume you won't need 4.2 so should definitely be less. Prior to that one I got a 3m for AUD$500 delivered.
ausaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 14:32   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Pretty sure the 'Mark' Series of Zodiac Dinghies were Hypalon with inflatable keel. That series was the most expensive of the consumer range of inflatbles just below the super duty commercial type. There were a few boats who had them when we were out equipped with 25hp motors. They'd plane with a boat load of people with that power. The hard bottomed inflatables have probably replaced them for most people.
Yep, that is the case: they were Hypalon, hand made by little old French ladies somewhere, and they were really good dinghies! We had a Mk II that lasted 13 years of full time tropical cruising. It lasted that long, but we used it another 3 years, mostly spent patching it! Simply no comparison with what Zodiac are selling nowadays, at least in the yachting world.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 17-09-2015, 15:29   #5
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

[QUOTE=I am planning on selling it (it is old on the tooth)
[/QUOTE]

Just a minor nitpick you can use at your next cocktail party. The expression is "long in the tooth" . It refers to horses. As they age the gums recede, so the phrase relates to old age in horses.

I'm sure you are really interested but don't thank me. 😜 I'm bored, can't you tell.

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 15:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Just a minor nitpick you can use at your next cocktail party. The expression is "long in the tooth" . It refers to horses. As they age the gums recede, so the phrase relates to old age in horses.

I'm sure you are really interested but don't thank me. 😜 I'm bored, can't you tell.

Rich

Hi Rich,

Coming from a small farm town I grew up with horses and know the expression. Of course I'll be selling the old dinghy cheap and advise the buyer to 'not look a gift horse in the mouth'.

By the way, the dinghy stands about 4 hands tall.

regards
Old 17-09-2015, 15:53   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Well shucky darn evn1024,

I spent about 20 yrs of my misspent youth working in the west as a geologist. Your don't look phrase is the match for the long tooth. They are some beautiful animals but not always the smartest. I remember walking a friends mare for hours after she ate something she shouldn't. Silly lady kept wanting to founder. Darn near got my teeth knocked out trying to get her back on her feet. All turned out well I'm glad to say. The owner was doing the same thing for his other horse.

Rich

cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 16:15   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

See, I thought a Horse's teeth kept growing, wearing away constantly as they were grazers of couse, but as they got old, their teeth literally got long. I know you tell the age of a horse by their teeth, I didn't know it was the gums that rededed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2015, 16:36   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
See, I thought a Horse's teeth kept growing, wearing away constantly as they were grazers of couse, but as they got old, their teeth literally got long. I know you tell the age of a horse by their teeth, I didn't know it was the gums that rededed.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I don't know that much about it. A full set of teeth show up at about 5 years. The cup goes away at 6 on the bottom central incisors and 7 on the intermediate, and corners at 8. The top incisors lose the cups at 9, 10 and 11 respectively. A smooth mouth happens around 12. And the angle that the teeth make to each other (top vs bottom) changes with age. With a vertical profile in young horses and a more angled profile on the older horse.

really an art form
Old 03-12-2015, 20:06   #10

Boat: Ericson MKIII 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
Hi Rich,

Coming from a small farm town I grew up with horses and know the expression. Of course I'll be selling the old dinghy cheap and advise the buyer to 'not look a gift horse in the mouth'.

By the way, the dinghy stands about 4 hands tall.

regards
I thought it was "don't look a gift whore in the mouse" no?
Eta: 4 hands? I hope that is standing up on the port or stb. beam.
Freemind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
zodiac