Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 20:40   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Your Opinion - Best Dinghy?

i would keep an eye on what the cruisers who pass through are using, and ask them if they would buy another - or what else they would buy. i'm guessing you would find mostly ab and caribe. probably not many zodiacs - they're not anywhere near as good as they used to be. i personally like achilles, and i think many cruisers would happily buy an achilles if that was offered to them.

but stay away from pvc unless you want to carry a cheaper option...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 21:02   #17

Achilles, AB, Caribe in that order
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 21:18   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausaviator View Post
Since when? I'm calling BS on that one.
LMAO your dinghy will join the heaps of rotting dinghy remains that are cluttered around the world's tropical cruising grounds. Not just a waste of money but also hurting the environment!

Get a Mercury 2.5hp 4-stroke to go with that PVC dinghy… seems to be the winning combination
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 21:36   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
LMAO your dinghy will join the heaps of rotting dinghy remains that are cluttered around the world's tropical cruising grounds. Not just a waste of money but also hurting the environment!

Get a Mercury 2.5hp 4-stroke to go with that PVC dinghy… seems to be the winning combination
"You've got to be cruel to be kind in the right measure, cruel to be kind is a very good sign, cruel to be.....
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 02:04   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

There is great variety in the dinghies used by cruisers and what you can sell may be influenced as much by price as anything else.

To list common types:-
7' - 9' fibreglass - not common in the US but very versatile as a small rowing dinghy. Are they made in Mexico?

7' -9' roll up and air floor inflatables. For all the criticism of PVC a PVC dinghy could be one third the price of "hypalon". These dinghies do not row well.

~9' aluminium - if stepping out across the Pacific or running ashore over coral these are the bees knees. Not common in the US.

7' - 10' RIB, PVC or hypalon, fibreglas or aluminium base. These are the cruisers favourite. With an 9.8 - 15 hp outboard they look to be fast and fun to run. Much heavier than other dinghies.

If you have a friendly sailmaker or similar they could make "chaps" or covers for inflatables. Other accessories include wheels, nav lights, small anchors and oars.

The other "need" would be for motors. If you could source a range from 2hp up to 15hp for fast delivery at a good price they may be well received. Two stokes give more power than four strokes of the same weight and may be cheaper for the same power. My experience has been that 2 strokes ranging from 3 - 8hp are insufficient to get a dinghy on the plane and are heavy. Either small and light (2hp) or with enough power to get up and plane (9.8 -15hp) may be desirable. Check what the manufactures max power is though.

Some places sell a complete ready to go package.

I'd be guessing that a typical customer is going to want a dinghy right away. A cheap PVC and small motor and they're good for a year or so. Check what warranties the manufacturers offer.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:00   #21

Boat: Privilege 37

Most catamarans have the ability to carry a rib - but it needs to be lightweight and not usceptible to UV. So an aluminium hull and hypalon tubes. Thus an AB or a uk made Ribeye are good contenders - although for the Ribeye the hypalon is extra.
Old 07-01-2014, 04:11   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

Zodiac is the worst in warm climes,go up from there.
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:47   #23

I hate inflatables my next dinghy will be a Polycraft Tuff tender 67kg and will take a 15hp. http://www.polycraft.com.au/model-ra...nder/open-boat

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:43   #24

Boat: Norseman 447

We love our Aquapro. 9' Aluminum/hypalon and wieghs only 110 lbs. We're in our 8th year cruising in the tropics and have had to fetch it off a coral lee shore in 20+ kts and onother time up in the rocks. A little dented, but a great tender for us. 15 hp Merc to be replaced with 15 hp Yamaha soon. Dingy has a few years to go.
Old 07-01-2014, 17:30   #25

If you were interested in an ultra light with console the a Walker Bay Genesis is awesome. Under 450lbs all in. Genesis Deluxe Console RIB : Walker Bay
JohnD0623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 18:47   #26

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I hate inflatables my next dinghy will be a Polycraft Tuff tender 67kg and will take a 15hp.
here in the states we have a similar very popular polyethylene dinghy - the watertender 9.4. stories about their ruggedness are legion - i've got a few myself.

Sundolphin

i had one for ten years and it was still going strong. probably get another...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 19:11   #27

Boat: 38' Pearson Invicta

We will keep our dyer midget for our first year cruising even though everyone says it is not strong or durable enough for cruising and they may be right. But for rowing or sailing they are the best I believe. We have used it for years cruising New England waters and sailing, rowing and slow motoring with the 2 hp Honda 4 stroke worked well and liked it. Full time cruising may change our minds but we decided to go with the Dyer at least for the first year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0181.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	73532  
Noreastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 20:37   #28

Boat: Valiant 40-169

Running a store you have to decide how much you want to invest in stock and how long you are willing to wait for it to sell. To keep the cash flow going you probably want one or two cheaper units that are likely easy to sell. Then you could have one more expensive hypalon RIB for those with more money to spend. I have a Walker Bay Genesis with the high pressure floor in hypalon and it was reasonably priced. I'd like an AB with aluminum floor but they are pretty expensive. Probably just keep what I have till it falls apart in which case I might be visiting you next year. Good luck with the store.
gordwedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 21:02   #29

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

We have a West Marine Hypalon roll up, a Portland Pudgy and a WM two person inflatable kayak. Guess which gets used the most?
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 22:05   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
We have a West Marine Hypalon roll up, a Portland Pudgy and a WM two person inflatable kayak. Guess which gets used the most?
Well which one.?

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy