Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 18:06   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Would You Ever In A Million Years...

...buy this? Or are there any other teeny affordable dinghies anyone can recommend? Our boat has an 18ft hull so space is very limited.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 18:14   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
What are you referring to?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 18:14   #3

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
err...was there meant to be a link to dinghy in that post???or is it just me who cant see one?
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 18:16   #4

No of course not. I meant to do that.

Walmart.com: Stansport 2-Person Boat with Pump and Oars: Fishing & Boating

I'm all about suspense.
Old 10-12-2009, 18:22   #5

Boat: Wharram Tiki 31 Slipper
hate to burst ya bubble there but i had something similar on my 21 footer...most times woulda been safer,drier an quicker to just swim to shore oh an i prob coulda carried more stuff in a drybag really think those toys are only suitable for very flat water...small stream perhaps
creakyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 18:44   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Maybe a Sevylor?

My feeling is that the Sevylor may be better suited to your needs, but I wouldn't want to try rowing any of the small inflatables over any sort of distance.

I wouldn't suggest leaving any of the small PVC inflatables in the sun for too long either.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 18:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I bought one of those for my kid and he and his buddies knocked the bottom out of it in 3 weekends. It's unstable, wet and very limited in load capacity. I could not imagine stepping down into it from the cockpit of my boat without falling overboard.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 19:01   #8

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I agree get a Sevelor ...one with a nylon cover...I have one i have not had to ever re air up..It is hanging in my shop right now ready to go and i havent put an air hose to it in 5 years.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 19:21   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Avon and Achilles both make an 8' Hypalon dink Avon Redstart Dinghy Inflatable. They are well made, row reasonably well and stable. You can add a motor mount and 2hp motor if you can't handle rowing. The Achilles deflates into a duffle sized package that can be stored on deck, assume the same for a Redstart, if all your other pukas are full. Only problem is price, new, as they are at least a boat unit. The Avons and probably the Achilles inflate in two sections, front and back. Makes them easy to store half inflated on the cabin top behind the mast. Makes a great place to lounge in benign conditions and quick deployment when you need it.

We rowed the bigger brother Avon Redcrest 9' around SoPac. Found it to be a great dink if you don't mind going slow and/or rowing. They 8' has a three person capacity though I don't where you'd fit that third body without dismembering it. The Bigger Redcrests regularly come up on the SF craigs list for around $300-$500. The smaller Redstarts almost never show up as most people probably opted for the slightly larger Redcrest.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 19:27   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
They 8' has a three person capacity though I don't where you'd fit that third body without dismembering it.
Perfect for our killing spree!
Old 10-12-2009, 20:57   #11

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
What about a sport boat? (Inflatable with wood floor). It can fold up and fit behind your mast (I think). You can find a used one (with patience) for about 3-400. The wood floor is pretty solid beneath your feet and will take a 8hp. I used to get to work in this one, loved it

Erika

PS
to answer your question - no, never in a million years
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:48   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
We use a couple of West Marine 10' kayaks.
They're stable, easily rolled up and dropped into a locker.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 10:09   #13

Boat: Golden Gate 30, Westerly 23
I have a small Achilles, I thought it was 7-feet and it rows ok with 2-people (3 would be really tight) and is quite compact when deflated. We now have a (self-built) Eastport Pram hard dink and two inflatable kayaks but would not want to rely on them as replacemnts for a single dinghy, but have seen several boats that do use their kayaks only. Boils down to personal preferance. Hope that helps.
Old 11-12-2009, 10:18   #14

Boat: Cascade
I had a friend who bought a (Canadian Tire) cheap thing like that. It didn't work at all. Would not row, wet all the time, leaked air. Its complete garbage.

I bought a Aquamarine boat which is a PVC copy (on EBay) of a Zodiac. Its lasted 3 seasons without any issues and sits outside upside down all winter. I just use a tarp for the UV. Its still in great shape. I drag it up on the rocky beaches here in BC. It works well with my 4hp Merc. (can plane with 1),

Mine has a aluminum floor and comes apart to roll up. Its rated for 10hp and comes with a hull number. I would go with the air floor version if I bought another as the aluminum floor is a bit heavy. You could probably pick up a 7.5ft model for $350 maybe cheaper.

I'm starting to see a lot of them in the water here as the're cheap and pretty good.

He's in Richmond BC. I have been to warehouse here to pick mine up (he imports them from China).

Its not Zodiac quality but it is a big step up from a Walmart special. Check it out and look at what the final price people paid was. Be patient with (bidding) he has hundreds and there is always a new one popping up when one is sold.

My friend ended up buying the same one I did and he is just as satisfied. (although he panicked about the bidding and paid twice as much) Now is a good time as its slow and winter.

Comes with a pump and oars and a useless cary bag.

If you want more info about it let me know. I have no affiliation what so ever with them.