Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2011, 04:42   #1

Boat: Spindrift 43 SV Falkor
Which Outboard to Bring

Headed to the bahamas for the firsttime in a few weeks and probaly overthinking every thing about it. Dingy is a 9 ft roll up inflatable, I have been using it for abut a year localy with a 3.5 hp 4 stoke fairy new outboard. The motor starts every time and sips fuel but definatly doesnt plane the boat. My concern is I tried to take it out though a cut on an incoming tide the other weekend and didnt have enough power to fight the ebb. Luckily When I gave up it was just pushed back out in to the bay near the mother ship, but if the tide had been going outI would have had a rough day. Is this something I need to worry about when Im exploring in the bahamas? I also have a old 7hp 2 stroke eska outboard, I havent used it on this inflatable but it ran great on my previous one. The only thing I have against it is that it is 30 years old.
the7 hp is also 3 lbs lighter then the 3.5 hp.
b-rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Which outboard to bring

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-rad View Post
Headed to the bahamas for the firsttime in a few weeks and probaly overthinking every thing about it. Dingy is a 9 ft roll up inflatable, I have been using it for abut a year localy with a 3.5 hp 4 stoke fairy new outboard. The motor starts every time and sips fuel but definatly doesnt plane the boat. My concern is I tried to take it out though a cut on an incoming tide the other weekend and didnt have enough power to fight the ebb. Luckily When I gave up it was just pushed back out in to the bay near the mother ship, but if the tide had been going outI would have had a rough day. Is this something I need to worry about when Im exploring in the bahamas? I also have a old 7hp 2 stroke eska outboard, I havent used it on this inflatable but it ran great on my previous one. The only thing I have against it is that it is 30 years old.
the7 hp is also 3 lbs lighter then the 3.5 hp.
There are spots where you can have a serious current running when the tide changes, basically anywhere along the edges of the banks like the chain of islands along the east Abacos or the in Exumas, where there is a cut between two islands. I have seen a 5-6 kt current at West End before.

In any spot I can think of you don't run a rise of being washed out to sea by the current since you will lose the current as soon as you are out of the channel and can run back in to a beach or side of the harbor and wait for slack tide. You still have to look out for a strong wind that could blow you out to sea.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
outboard