Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-07-2019, 14:16   #1

Boat: Leopard 39
Where do I stow the kayaks?

When we purchased our 2012 Leopard 39 this past February it came with a 12' kayak. We carried it to the Bahamas tied to the lifeline amidships which made going forward on that side a real hassle. It also made it nigh impossible to rig a spring line to the mid-ships cleat. We carried it at times athwart the tramp but it was in the way there too when anchoring or mooring. I have seen side mounts outside the life lines where cruisers carry kayaks, SUPs, etc. but question how secure they are in heavy weather. Anyone care to share how they've solved this problem and how well it works? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190227_093517330.jpg
Views:	539
Size:	416.7 KB
ID:	195525  
Nani Kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 14:47   #2

Re: Where do I stow the kayaks?

Kayaks and / or SUPs positioned on the outside of the stanchions clears the side deck passageway. On a Cat which likely has a high freeboard and one is not heeled over to any significant extent, the stanchions are not near the water surface. On a monohull the outer mounting is hazardous when on the lee side of the boat due to the proximity to the waves when heeled over.

On a Cat, in the unlike event that the kayak was to get hit by a side breaking wave it will be just as likely to break away and cause damage if it is hung on the outside as the inside of the stanchions. It will become your fender.

The plethora of large toys that boats come with anymore raises challenges and dangers as to proper stowage, especially in rough or windy conditions.

One has to use caution so as to not have the side with equipment mounted outside the stanchions to come into contact with another boat [e.g., rafting together or med moored, or against a quay or pier edge.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 15:21   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

I'm on an under 30' pier and it seems every boat, sail or power has a kayak or two. Most use a rack such as this to stow the kayak outside the lifelines. https://magma.factoryoutletstore.com...cadfe8ba67ccd4
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:44   #4

Thanks Montanan for the detailed response. You raised issues I hadn't yet considered. My wife and I really enjoy paddling (we both paddled for a racing canoe club in Hawaii) and would love to find a way to take one or more paddle powered boats along. Not easy to do satisfactorily on our compact Cat. Thanks for your insight.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:49   #5

Thanks roverhi for the Magma link. I will probably order one of their rail racks for a test fit. We actually traded the orange kayak for some other boat gear but we have two performance paddle boats we'd like to take on board if I can stow them sensibly. If I come up with something good I'll post pics.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:50   #6

There are some great inflatable kayaks around. Would solve the storage problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nani Kai View Post
Thanks Montanan for the detailed response. You raised issues I hadn't yet considered. My wife and I really enjoy paddling (we both paddled for a racing canoe club in Hawaii) and would love to find a way to take one or more paddle powered boats along. Not easy to do satisfactorily on our compact Cat. Thanks for your insight.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 09:55   #7

Quote:
Big boat, littler boat, each has its best uses and enjoyment. We have a Hobie Tandem Island Adventure trimaran for use in trailering to Alpine lakes when we aren't on our bigger sailboats. With the Hobie, one can sail, paddle and / or use the Mirage drive pedal powering, three methods of propulsion in one boat. But it would be a challenge to lift and place on the deck of our largest sailboat being 18 feet long in the center hull and the two amas plus the 19 foot mast to contend with and it is quite heavy, too much for two to portage anything but a few feet.

If you mount on the stanchions be sure the stanchions have adequate strength of tubing and of their base mounting. You may wish to change over from flimsy lifeline to tubular bars tying the individual stanchions together as a single unit and perhaps add a diagonal bracing to provide lengthwise sheer strengthening. Albeit the athwartship strength will be the limiting factor. Are you mast shrouds mounted outside your hull, if so perhaps you could further attach to those tensioned supports to make for more athwartship capabilities.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 10:43   #8

Quote:
Anyone care to share how they've solved this problem and how well it works?
I have had hard kayaks, hard surfboards and hard paddle boards. Inflatable for the kayaks and paddle boards is the answer for our lifestyle. We spend 4-6 weeks a year on open ocean crossings so getting everything off the decks and life lines is an important safety choice. For the paddle board: RED seems to be the best solution. For Kayak we have had reasonable success with the two person dual pontoon Sea Eagle and are happy with that. It comes with a sailing attachment that converts the kayak into a small sailing craft that is great as a teaching aid for guests. When on blue water passage our decks are free to take on the unexpected (and sometimes planned) foul seas and weather.
Perfect Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15   #9

Hello Nani Kai.

Here are a couple links if interested in soft toys that keep your decks clear on passage:

https://www.seaeagle.com/PaddleSkiKayaks/435ps

Our Pro 435 Sea Eagle Kayak has lasted 4 years. It rolls up and stores in about the size of a large suitcase. I also use this as a paddle board along side my wife on our single real paddle board. The hardware on the seats needs good care w fresh water rinse to minimize corrosion, but the other parts are holding strong. I hope to get another 4 years from it at least.

https://redpaddleco.com/en-gb/inflatable-sups/touring/
Red is a really solid board. We had a Sea Eagle but it failed from over inflation on hot days. The Red is better built. This reduces to a medium sized suit case.

We run with both on deck while coastal cruising, but deflate for passage.

Hope this helps!
Perfect Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 18:38   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

We hoist a 10' kayak above the dinghy, double-decker style, using some leftover hardware from the solar panel installation. We get a few double-takes from passing boats, but it keeps it out of the way. With a bit of boathook action the kayak can even be lowered or raised around the back of the zodiac.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Kayak