Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: What Type of Dinghy / Tender do you use?
Rigid Wood 18 5.14%
Rigid Plastic (Fibreglass, PVC, etc) 82 23.43%
Inflatable 106 30.29%
Rigid Inflatable (RIB) 139 39.71%
Other ... 19 5.43%
Rowed 58 16.57%
Sailed 26 7.43%
Outboard Powered 125 35.71%
Combination powered (specify in text) 15 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 350. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 17:09   #91

Boat: nebe cape 28
10 ft folda boat great dink and it rows very well to. I use a 3hp merc.
Old 26-02-2008, 13:05   #92

Boat: Townson 46
We recently got a SeaHopper foldable and LOVE it. 2.4 x 1.2 (8x4) plywood and folds down to a bag 2400 x 500 x 150 (8' x 19.5" x 6"). We stow it flat on the cabin top (clear view ahead) when its rough or on the foredeck railings. It weighs nothing (28kg) so is easy to get on board. Assembly takes less than a minute. Its very dry compared to the inflatable. 2 adult 2 kids and some gear no problem. It rows easily and straight. 2hp and it flies. It tows straight and quietly cf inflatable.

The downside? No built in bouyancy, no good for diving from, ultimate carrying capacity less than inflatable though this is not really an issue. We have yet to see how well the fabric lasts but this boat is 7 years old and perfect.

Might just sell the rubber boat...
salient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 13:10   #93

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
None - we are still looking for a dink of some kind. Everything that I have looked at so far in our area has either been too far away, too expensive, too small or too big. The ones that I have found that would have worked had sold already.
Anyone know of a dingy for sale?

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2008, 22:49   #94

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
First post here (I'm Valiente on Sailnet.com if this seems familiar; it's the name of my old racer-cruiser).

We determined after having a perfectly good Zodiac C310 RIB for a few years that this and a 9.9 HP wouldn't work for us on a planned world cruise set to begin in a couple of years. Partly was the difficulty of dealing with a 9.9's weight in a seaway, and partly because we've experienced a davit breakage in just five foot Lake Ontario "seas", and have come to agree that davits and ocean passagemaking don't mix unless it's a fairly substantial yacht.

We decided that our requirements were less fun than practical, and that "getting up on the plane" wasn't a priority. Consequently, we determined that our tenders are a) for bulk transport of provisions and supplies, and therefore had to be rugged; b) people movers from boat to shore with little more than a satchel or a tote bag; c) recreation/exercise for ourselves and our kid in calm anchorages to "go exploring".

We have about 20 feet of foredeck on our pilothouse cutter; space is not so much a problem as is visibility. We therefore decided on TWO tenders: one is a 10 foot folding Portabote, bought used, and the other is a pricey but beautifully made nesting dinghy called the NN-10 built by a guy in B.C. called Barry Niccolls. The Portabote, I needn't mention, folds like a surfboard on the rails, and the nesting dinghy, well, nests down to a five foot-six low-profile boxy object that will be secured to the foredeck hatch, which leads to the forepeak "workshop"

The Portabote can be rowed easily...my six-year-old took a crack today and obviously has the strength if not (yet) the co-ordination to get the boat moving. The NN-10 dinghy can be rowed or sailed with a simple main and jib rig, with a centerboard and rudder, and the two pieces bolt together quickly, float independently and weigh about 90 lbs. in total. Both can be propelled by our 2 HP Honda 4-stroke, a noisy (aircooled) but blessedly light object my five-foot tall wife can single-hand in and out of the boat with little effort.

The advantages of two rather different tenders are many. Carrying capacity at about 1,100 lbs over the two tenders is about 100 lbs. greater than the equivalent 10-foot Zodiac RIB, but I prefer to think of this capacity as 20 feet of boat space, as I will never have more than three people or that much cargo in either tender. Two tenders means no one is "stuck on the boat" and gives my kid as he gets more capable (he'll be eight or nine when we go long-term cruising) a sailing dinghy to use to "get away" to visit other boats or just to go exploring. Both boats are far easier to hoist and manipulate on deck than the 110 lbs. of RIB, and while not as stable in absolute terms, can be made more so with inflatable "collars", if desired, which are easily stowed. Finally, neither the Portabote nor the FG nesting dinghy are prone to UV damage, leaks or tears, nor are they likely to be quite as attractive to thieves.

This seems to us a good solution, with the very minor "con" that we can't get on the plane with a 2 HP. If we change our minds, however, RIBs are everywhere we are likely to go, and getting one would be simple. So far, however, certainly from a stowage point of view, it's great not to be staring at the stern of an inverted RIB on deck from the inside helm.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:41   #95

Boat: Brewer 44, 44ft. ALFIN II
Have been using a Zodiac for 15 years, before that an Avon. I am now thinking of a SATURN and wonder if anyone has experience with these? Thanks a lot.
sailalfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:45   #96

I've got a Saturn, and it's good. It's solidly built. We treat ours regularly with a UV light blocker to help it last, but so far we're happy with it. It's PVC, not hyperlon, but I think it's as good as any pvc boat I've seen. I have the 13 footer and power it with a 20hp Honda 4 stroke. It'll plane with my wife and I and a bunch of gear.
frogman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 09:36   #97

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
My voting dollars went to a 10' 8" Porta-bote along with an 8hp 2 stroke Yamaha.
So far, so good (great actually).

Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2009, 06:46   #98

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
10.5' port-a-boat.
Easy set up and breakdown (with a little practice), rows well, works with 3.5 to 5 hp OB, great for snorkling or diving, tows ok.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 14:58   #99
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Dyer Dhow with a sailing rig and a TBA outboard. Suzuki? As of now we sail or row it.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 16:39   #100

Boat: C & C Landfall 38
port-a-boat, luv it.
iiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 16:51   #101

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iiii View Post
port-a-boat, luv it.
Will a 6 hp plane a 9 footer with two people, a backpack and a cooler?

I have a 9' rib from WM and it is slow and wet. I was amazed at how wet in 6" wavelets!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2009, 17:14   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Will a 6 hp plane a 9 footer with two people, a backpack and a cooler?
I'm pretty sure it could do this easily.
Problem is that your options are:
8' 9" or 10' 8"

Extemp.
Old 31-07-2009, 17:39   #103

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I'm pretty sure it could do this easily.
Problem is that your options are:
8' 9" or 10' 8"

Extemp.
Thanks.

When I have had enough of the present dink (and have the chips) I will take measurements.

Plus I need to know how to hang it. It seems too flexible and has no "hard points" for lifting.
Old 31-07-2009, 17:54   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Thanks.

When I have had enough of the present dink (and have the chips) I will take measurements.

Plus I need to know how to hang it. It seems too flexible and has no "hard points" for lifting.
When it's folded you could tie it up to your stanchions.
I have punched a hole into my lazarett and when folded I put it underneath the settee and through this hole.
Never to be seen and out of the way.

Extemp.
Old 31-07-2009, 18:02   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
When it's folded you could tie it up to your stanchions.
I have punched a hole into my lazarett and when folded I put it underneath the settee and through this hole.
Never to be seen and out of the way.

Extemp.

I do want to hang it most of the time.
Maybe some sort of sling. Dunno, not there yet.