Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2022, 10:38   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1
What experience with Takacat

Anyone have experience with a Takacat, their own, or one owned by someone else?

From the company description, when deflated and in the two bags, the whole thing would fit in a cockpit locker. They seem to be built well and there is a store not too far from me that sells them. So I can go see one in person, it is not the same as going out on the water in one.

Comments? Thoughts?
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 11:02   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: What experience with Takacat

Plus one for Dr. D!
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 13:03   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We purchased a different brand of inflatable catamaran (12') to see how it would work as a dinghy.
Overall, we were very impressed that it could easily get up on plane w/2 people and gear w/only a 5hp motor (~15kt in flat water). This is what we expected with a power cat type hull.
We only took it out in moderately choppy water and it still handled it well. Ours has an air floor and could see an added benefit from having a hard floor or a rigid forward cross member to handle even rougher water (full speed). The Takacat does offer a rigid floor option, but do not have first hand knowledge if it helps stiffen the boat sufficiently to handle rougher water. Downside of the rigid floor, it will make it more difficult to store.

This was purchased to test the concept of an inflatable cat as a dinghy. It's very stable and needs a very low hp motor to carry a decent amount of gear or supplies. We are currently looking into hard versions that would be more durable than PVC and stiffer to handle rougher waters.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 15:48   #4

I had a first-gen Taka. Loved it, but the transom delaminated at three years (PVC) and the reason it lasted that long was that it was covered.

Stable, ran good with less horsepower, and not particularly wet.

I have been thinking about the TrueKit offering, you may want to look at that
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 18:37   #5

We had a different brand (Dux).

It was the 13ft model with 40hp outboard.

Performance was incredible. We could run down jetskis and out maneuver them plus it was dry and fast in rough waters. It was a very smooth ride as it largely rode on a cushion of air.

Downside.

The 40hp was impractical for a dingy but they can still plane and go fast with a 15-20hp. For slow puttering about, we had as many as 8 big adults onboard and it was fine but 3-4 and getting on plane was tricky as it tended to cavitate.

The open transom makes for wet ride...particularly coming off plane when the stern wave caught up with you. I think some flaps across the back of the transom could solve this effectively making them giant one way valves.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 19:07   #6

Boat: 2013 Jeanneau 33i

Got one about a year ago, along with a epropulsion spirit 1.0 electric motor. The ride is fairly dry and the stability is good compared to our previous inflatable bottom Zodiac. So far we are happy with it. We keep it stored in the bag and it is easy to pack/set up.
gterrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 06:22   #7

Thanks for all the input.
Old 16-01-2022, 06:46   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
We had a different brand (Dux).

It was the 13ft model with 40hp outboard.

Performance was incredible. We could run down jetskis and out maneuver them plus it was dry and fast in rough waters. It was a very smooth ride as it largely rode on a cushion of air.

The open transom makes for wet ride...particularly coming off plane when the stern wave caught up with you. I think some flaps across the back of the transom could solve this effectively making them giant one way valves.
Was it the Hammerhead version you purchased? Do you have a hard or air floor? The f/g stiffener is what I was mentioning in my previous post to help stabilize the tubes. This forward stiffener is also incorporated in some of the race versions of inflatable cats and these can take a pounding in surf conditions.

Good to know about the open stern. Ours is solid and allows versatility of the type of beach wheels we can put on the stern.
Old 16-01-2022, 06:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. D View Post
Thanks for all the input.

So what are your thoughts, are you getting one based on performance discussed in this thread?

Would be interested to know the pricing for the pvc vs. hypalon and the cost of the optional hard floor.
Old 16-01-2022, 09:40   #10

Quote:
Anyone have experience with a Takacat, their own, or one owned by someone else?

From the company description, when deflated and in the two bags, the whole thing would fit in a cockpit locker. They seem to be built well and there is a store not too far from me that sells them. So I can go see one in person, it is not the same as going out on the water in one.

Comments? Thoughts?
Yes I bought one a year ago have not used it a lot the seat is a bit strange and round inflatable slightly unstable but i made a custom arrangement not great in bigger swells , you get your feet wet
The U V resistant cover at another $100 or so fell apart
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 12:34   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
So what are your thoughts, are you getting one based on performance discussed in this thread?

Would be interested to know the pricing for the pvc vs. hypalon and the cost of the optional hard floor.
The closet dealer is a 1.5 hour drive and I haven't even called to find out what they have in stock. I wanted to hear from those with some experience before I go through the trouble to going to see one. The replies do seem favorable, so I will plan a time to visit (if they have the boats in stock).
Old 16-01-2022, 14:16   #12

Boat: Oyster 56

I have owned several different inflatable catamarans and probably over 15 different inflatable boats over the years.
The Takacat is a derivative of the Gemini Thundercats of which I have had a couple in the past. Thundercats are fast (40knots is possible), maneuverable an relatively dry. They work well for waterskiing and various other watersports (as well as obviously surf racing). I used the Thundercat as a tender but they don't pack down easily and there was no need for that much power. I thought I could use a Takacat as a sort of watered down Thundercat with a 15-30HP to allow some load carrying/speed.

One big difference between a Thundercat and a Takacat is that the Thundercat has sponsons or 'hijackers' under the pontoons that give directional stability and allow the boat to plane up much higher and ride softer on the plane with much less spray. Without these, on a plane the ride was horrible, poor directional stability, lots of spray and you felt even small bumps at speed. They are completely rubbish to row. I gave it up as a complete failure.

The other issue is that they are built in PVC and like all PVC boats 'expire' in about 5-10years, becoming unusable as glued seams (and they all have some glued seams or joints somewhere) let go. Welded seams last longer, but everything that is not welded falls off. As the Takacat is a budget Chinese made boat I would say 5years max.

My view is that if you want an tender that will last more than 5 years buy a hard tender or a Hypalon inflatable.
PhilC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 14:23   #13

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

I've had a 2.6 Sport about 3 yrs, mainly for it;s lightness & stability,it's basically what your priorities are, I can haul it up on deck easily & it lives on the f/deck, try to keep it out of the sun, chaps or similar, I run a 2.3 Honda & basically only go from the mooring to shore, it's not really for long distances..it'll row ok except in a chop, there's been no delamination or issues so far & I'm happy with it, I use those floppy buckets if I don't want stuff to get wet,you can load it up pretty good...for me it's ideal but as they say ..horses for courses...
Bent Bugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2022, 09:20   #14

Quote:
The closet dealer is a 1.5 hour drive and I haven't even called to find out what they have in stock. I wanted to hear from those with some experience before I go through the trouble to going to see one. The replies do seem favorable, so I will plan a time to visit (if they have the boats in stock).
I did look at online pricing from the Takacat dealer in Baltimore to compare prices of the boat we have (12' Saturn). Was a little shocked at the price differences. Currently the Saturn is $1,099, while the Takacat 380lx in PVC is $2,290. If you wanted the 380lx in hypalon it is $5,490 (ouch!). They do not offer the Saturn in hypalon.
From that website, it did not appear that the hard floor option was available.

The Dux Hammerhead (13') list is ~$6,995 and does come standard w/a starboard hard floor and the forward cross member. This is basically a race version of these catamarans (Xcats) w/the fiberglass wings on the tubes for better handling.(neither the Saturn nor the Takacat have the wings so will not turn or handle like a Xcat).

Similar to the Dux and Xcat design w/a forward cross member, an aluminum floor and wings can be purchased directly from china for ~$660-900 (pvc). Some were available in hypalon and TPU but didn't list the price.
Old 13-06-2022, 10:27   #15

Boat: SO 43 DS

Hi there,
I bought a Takacat last year (300XL), and so far, my experience is mixed.
I like the boat; it's light, folds up relatively small, and it is easy to get in and out. However, after only light use, the seams of the floor started to come unglued!! I spent the last months contacting the company to try and resolve this issue...

So, in brief: it's a nice boat, but the build quality is an issue. Also, based on my experience, customer support is quite poor.

Good luck
ELD
elazzeri is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc