Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2016, 16:38   #16

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982
Re: What Brand Inflatable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsky49 View Post
I have had great luck with both Avon and Achilles. Certainly recommended.

I think any of the larger name-brand manufacturers will work great for you.

I would suggest three things:

Get Hypalon fabric, not PVC
Bigger tube diameters are better
Buy one size larger/longer than you think you need
Thanks for all your responses, I think I'll focus on comparing
Highfield, Avon & Archilles pricewise.
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2016, 17:34   #17

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW: the legendary Avons of old are no more. Avon was bought out by Zodiac some years ago, and the inevitable dilution of quality has apparently affected their products. I would view their stuff with great suspicion. Achilles is still making good stuff AFAIK, but are likely not within your "mid range" price here in Oz.

A lot of folks are reporting good results with Highfield, and they do offer Hypalon type materials as well as PVC.

In dinghies, my view is that ya gets what ya pays for... if you are lucky!

Jim
Old 19-11-2016, 18:00   #18

Boat: Catalina 470

[QUOTE=aclmck;2260859]Have you looked at Taka Cats, small and light? otherwise most makers have an air floor model or a slatted floor model in their range, good idea to buy hypalon here

I had a takacat for 3 years (hypalon). It depends on the cruising your going to do. If its light cruising then they are probably fine, if its fulltime, dragging it up on beaches, hoisting on deck daily, towing it etc etc then I would suggest a different brand. Mine just didn't hold up well. They have some good points and the guy running the show is a nice bloke but I don't think they are rugged enough for the fulltime cruising gig.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 10:15   #19

Quote:
I have had great luck with both Avon and Achilles. Certainly recommended.

I think any of the larger name-brand manufacturers will work great for you.

I would suggest three things:

Get Hypalon fabric, not PVC
Bigger tube diameters are better
Buy one size larger/longer than you think you need
Sorry for the long absence, I'm going with Achilles, and probably the Air floor/Keel LSI model, its around $2,500. Why did you say go one size larger? I will be a Solo liveaboard & will be cruising extensively once I've got the confidence, looking at the 2.3 & the 2.6 size, I own a 4hp & 6hp. Cheers Jeff.
Old 24-09-2017, 10:39   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

I bought a Zodiac and the transom rotted out in less than three years. Apparently, the wood is not waterproof. They refused to repair it under warranty so I had to junk a three year old boat. I'm not going to buy another Zodiac and I wouldn't recommend anyone else buy one either.

I expect one of the cheap Korean inflatables would last longer than that at half the price.
Old 24-09-2017, 11:40   #21

Boat: Bristol 41.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxertwinjeff View Post
Sorry for the long absence, I'm going with Achilles, and probably the Air floor/Keel LSI model, its around $2,500. Why did you say go one size larger? I will be a Solo liveaboard & will be cruising extensively once I've got the confidence, looking at the 2.3 & the 2.6 size, I own a 4hp & 6hp. Cheers Jeff.

Why one size larger? Several reasons:

The LSI 230, for example, has a rated capacity of 2 adults. Unless you are a hermit, divorced from human interaction, you will likely have more than yourself on board, as well as water jugs, groceries, life jackets, etc.

The bigger the dinghy, the greater the stability.

Along with greater stability is the ability to go faster, safely. The smaller dinghies, while sometimes able to plane, are typically pretty scary at speed. With a soft bottom dinghy you are already at a disadvantage. Bigger will serve you better here.

While just about any floating conveyance will function if only called upon to travel a hundred yards, when you have to (or choose to) travel 2-3 miles, especially if the sea state is less than flat, you will never regret getting the larger boat.

The cost to go a size larger, both in cost and weight, is minor compared to the benefits.

Larger dinghies generally have more air compartments, thereby safer.

Larger dinghies allow space for a remote fuel tank, anchor, sponges and de-watering pumps, light for nighttime operation, etc.

I am relatively certain that you will find most full-time cruisers in agreement with this. It will be interesting to see if there are any comments to the contrary.

We have an Achilles LSI as well, the 10'-2" version. With our (1996) 6hp Evinrude 2-stroke, we can plane with two adults aboard, occasionally can do that with three adults if the stars align. I have never wished for a smaller dinghy. I just asked my wife what she thought about the relative size of our dinghy, and unprompted said "It would be nice to have a little more space". We cruise as a couple for the most part, and the dinghy gets a lot of use. It is a vital part of cruisers day-to-day life and does not pay to skimp on.

Boat show season is upon us. Pretty good prices, especially if you are willing to get last years model.

Just my opinion.
redsky49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 11:52   #22

Boat: Camano Troll

Bigger is better of course, but not if it becomes to big to store on your boat or too heavy for you to lift or handle. Or too big for your motor.

Some folks make the decision to buy the smaller ones, that's why manufacturers make them. I'm not sure, but I believe mine is the LSI 230. I am not a hermit but it suits me, my wife and my puppy fine. My needs are modest. I never travel 2-3 miles in it and don't carry water jugs or groceries.

I bought a small dingy because I bought a small motor. I bought a small motor so I could handle it easily.

Obviously everyone's needs and expectations are unique. You should consider your own needs and purchase accordingly.
Old 24-09-2017, 13:37   #23

Quote:
Why one size larger? Several reasons:

The LSI 230, for example, has a rated capacity of 2 adults. Unless you are a hermit, divorced from human interaction, you will likely have more than yourself on board, as well as water jugs, groceries, life jackets, etc.

The bigger the dinghy, the greater the stability.

Along with greater stability is the ability to go faster, safely. The smaller dinghies, while sometimes able to plane, are typically pretty scary at speed. With a soft bottom dinghy you are already at a disadvantage. Bigger will serve you better here.

While just about any floating conveyance will function if only called upon to travel a hundred yards, when you have to (or choose to) travel 2-3 miles, especially if the sea state is less than flat, you will never regret getting the larger boat.

The cost to go a size larger, both in cost and weight, is minor compared to the benefits.

Larger dinghies generally have more air compartments, thereby safer.

Larger dinghies allow space for a remote fuel tank, anchor, sponges and de-watering pumps, light for nighttime operation, etc.

I am relatively certain that you will find most full-time cruisers in agreement with this. It will be interesting to see if there are any comments to the contrary.

We have an Achilles LSI as well, the 10'-2" version. With our (1996) 6hp Evinrude 2-stroke, we can plane with two adults aboard, occasionally can do that with three adults if the stars align. I have never wished for a smaller dinghy. I just asked my wife what she thought about the relative size of our dinghy, and unprompted said "It would be nice to have a little more space". We cruise as a couple for the most part, and the dinghy gets a lot of use. It is a vital part of cruisers day-to-day life and does not pay to skimp on.

Boat show season is upon us. Pretty good prices, especially if you are willing to get last years model.

Just my opinion.
Thanks for the response, how long have you had your LSI & do you find the air keel fairly tough & takes abit of punishment or do you have to be extra careful, are you happy with the LSI, 2500 for the 2.6 is what Achilles in Sydney quoted me, do you think that's a good price?
Old 24-09-2017, 13:46   #24

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxertwinjeff View Post
What type of cruising are you doing? If its fulltime and you have the room I'd go a rib. They just do everything better and are tuffer. Ive had everything from ribs to walker bays to soft bottoms, ribs are just better.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 19:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
What type of cruising are you doing? If its fulltime and you have the room I'd go a rib. They just do everything better and are tuffer. Ive had everything from ribs to walker bays to soft bottoms, ribs are just better.
Point taken,...Will be full time cruising / livaboard, I own a Camper Nicholson 31 so deck area not huge but could probably squeeze the 2.6m forward or aft of the mast. wanna be able to use the 6hp so to allow for sightseeing etc in the inflatable.

Tags
inflatable