Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 14:51   #1

Walker Bay Help Please

I have been using a walker Bay 8 but it's a little small for my needs. Other than that I like it a lot. So, I decided to try the walker bay 10. I've been looking for one for some time and today I found one. I like the looks of it but I just noticed the wheel on the keel does not turn freely. I can barely rotate it by hand and I'm pretty sure when I drag the boat across concrete,, which I have to do fairly often, I'll wear a flat spot on the wheel. I really don't want to do that. Does anyone know about the maintenance on these wheels? How to get it turning freely again?

Oh, and p.s. while I'm posting... I checked the drain plug. It removes from the exterior of the boat and it does not lock in place at all. It's in there on friction only. is this an original equipment setup, or has it been replaced? Thanks
Sailinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 17:34   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Walker Bay Help Please

When I got my 2nd hand 8 ft Walker Bay (about 10 years ago) I made the following alterations:
- As the drainplug came out too easily, I welded that shut. Note, if you keep your dinghy on davits that may not be a good solution.
- As the wheel did not turn, removed what ever was there (can't remember) and replaced it a small piece of plastic either side welded on, and drilled out to take an 8mm (? 5/16 SS nut/bolt). If sand or dirt gets into it, just remove, rinse and clean and all is good again. If you want a photo if this, let me know.
- As the bottom (keel strip) of the boat was nearly worn through the plastic, welded an approx. 30 mm wide 4 mm thick (1.25x 3/16 inch) plastic PP strip on the bottom for extra protection for dragging it on rocks, coral and beach.
- Installed a larger towing eye with backing plate on the bow.

Note that for welding purposes the plastic is not poly-ethylene but poly-propylene.

Now 10 years on, all is still good, expect I never use the inflatable collars, and mine look crappy anyway due to age.
Old 04-04-2016, 04:49   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinstuff View Post
Oh, and p.s. while I'm posting... I checked the drain plug. It removes from the exterior of the boat and it does not lock in place at all. It's in there on friction only. is this an original equipment setup, or has it been replaced? Thanks

The drain plug on our WB 310 FTD insert into the transom from the inside. There's a handle; rotating that 90° causes the plug to expand.

Don't know if our model is what you mean when you say a WB "10" -- nor if WB drain plugs differ if what you mean isn't the same as what we've got.

WB customer service has been good about answering questions.

-Chris
Old 04-04-2016, 10:18   #4

Boat: Grand Banks 50

WB sells a replacement wheel: Wheel Kit WB10

The plug on my WB8 goes in is from the outside and stays in place under pressure. If it falls out it is no big deal as it is attached with a string and there is a one-way valve in the drain hole.

Ranger42, I think you are referring to the WB RIBs while the OP is asking about the WB RID.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...1&d=1459790293
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	walker-bay-275r-rid-kit-2.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	222.6 KB
ID:	121999  
Xlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:38   #5

Thanks folks for the info. Answers all my questions.
Sailinstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lease