Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2019, 14:06   #1

Boat: Walker Bay, 10, 10 feet
Walker Bay 10

Just purchased a used Walker Bay 10. The boat was made in 2005. It was ready for a sailing package when I bought it but alas, the rigging, daggerboard, and rudder are gone. Step is still in place. The daggerboard covers are removed.

I originally bought the boat because I need to trim sea-grapes that have outgrown the longest pruning clipper I have. They are out over a lake and need to be trimmed. The only guy who would trim them wanted to bring in a million dollar tree harvester. So I figured, "This can't be that hard."

Bought the boat on Craigslist and I really like it. It is in good condition for 14 years old.

Without being specific I would be happy to read any comments you may have. Tips. Things to avoid. Adding a sailing rig.

Tnx,

Doc

Doc Hoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2019, 18:30   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Walker Bay 10

If it has oarlocks and oars, put the cover back on over the centerboard trunk, and see how she rows! It should work for your removal of the plants, but dispose of them on land (if you plop them in to decay, it starves the water of oxygen, and the lake eutrophies faster.)

It depends on how much hands on you want to be, how you approach things, and you'll get varying input here, all the way from making a little jewel of the boat, to "it's a dinghy, a work boat, it's meant to look battered." You'll find where you are on the spectrum as you tackle the jobs one at a time.

I should think you could find the dimensions for the sailing rig on the internet. Google on "sailing rig for 2005 Walker dinghy" and "size of sail for 2005 Walker sailing dinghy" (with the quotation marks), and see where it takes you.

Cheers,

Ann

On edit, if you look at the SailRite web site, it may well offer dimensions and instructions for making a sail for it. You could learn to sew, if you don't already. It really depends on how "hands on" you like to be. It is, imho, quite satisfying to make things for the boat, even a dinghy.

Old 28-08-2019, 04:30   #3

Thanks JPA,

It has oarlocks and oars which are largely new. Handles fine in getting around and into the sea grapes. The daggerboard covers are gone. The drag created is forward of the thrust point for rowing (essentially, the approximate location of my butt) So it takes a little extra finesse (I think) to avid the boat shearing off.

Roger, Out on the issue of the stuff coming out of the water. In fact I am clearing a bunch of subsurface debris which is clogging things up and has been for years. We moved here five months ago and this has been a pet peeve since then.

Been to the Sailrite site. Bookmarked it but did not find dimensions for Walker Bay 10. I will look harder later. Also search the internet unsuccessfully. Walker bay site is not much help, which is no surprise.

I am going to build the masts and spars from wood. Will also make the daggerboard and rudder.

Will also make the sails. Sailrite seems to have very good prices on the cloth.

As regards "battered", the skin is a little rough from previous use as a work boat. Last owner used it to maintain his dock. He didn't use the oars but just pulled himself around with a boat hook. I need the oars to get to the front of the sea grapes.

I love projects like this and will likely have more in the project than if I just went to Walker Bay and bought the kit.

I also like abundant feedback from experts on projects. So I hope it does not create conflict if I post photos as the things move ahead.
Old 28-08-2019, 15:04   #4

I think the first project on the boat is to prepare fitting for the replacement mast.

I am going to use a wood mast at about 13 feet. That means that sail dimensions for the Walker Bay won't work because the mast in the kit is 14 feet 8inches.

I am also going to use a wooden boom. I will also rig a bowsprit for a slightly larger jib.

The winds on the lake behind the house are always pretty light.

So I am working on a design for the boom fittings.

More later
Old 28-08-2019, 16:02   #5

Hi, Doc,

Not really an expert, me, just been around boats a lot. Your dinghy would sail better with more sail area, rather than less, and also if the timber you use is heavier than what it came with, you'll have that extra weight aloft, which will make the dinghy more tender. It is not a race boat, but we've a friend I've seen sailing theirs, in about 15 k, however, if you're only going to use it in very light airs, you might consider a taller mast. What design of sail do you plan?

Ann
Old 29-08-2019, 03:58   #6

JPA,

Talk about "not an expert" and you are looking at him (figuratively). I have had boats up to a Pearson 32 but I never ever messed with sail design. I can't disagree with you regarding sailing properties of this dinghy.

The rig that is sold by Walker Bay does have more sail area than that which I imagine for my mainsail. I will make up for the shorter mast by lowering the mounting point of the boom probably by six to nine inches.

This means I won't lose 30 inches of luff for a 30 inch shorter mast. I will also use a boom angle which brings the clew lower to the stern, again by possibly as much a 12 inches. (I will just duck when jibing.)

So the leech will be shorter than the WB mainsail but again, not inch for inch. I shortened the mast partially to reduce weight because the wooden mast of the same length would be heavier than the aluminum job sold by WB. I am hoping that will increase the development of the righting arm. (less weight higher up) and lower point of total force (I think that is called "CE") on the sail. I am hoping to create a design that sails mildly because the lake has several fairly large alligators.

The stock mast is taller and the sail has batten(s) aloft to catch more wind. Yet the videos (which are my primary reference point regarding sailing properties) appear to show a boat which sails pretty stiffly. The beam is four feet four inches.

I am adding the jib which will be oversized in comparison to the tiny jib that is sold by WB. It appears that WB sold far more sail kits without a jib than with a jib. On this boat the jib tack is located right at the bow. The mast step is back from the bow by only about 20 inches. So the foot of the stock jib is short (It is not a genoa).

I will likely delay the addition of the jib until I see how the boat sails without it.

As you can tell, I am doing this as much for fun as for any other reason. With luck, I will learn something in the process.

Tnx,

Doc
Old 29-08-2019, 13:43   #7

Walker bay mainsail is 50 square feet. The main sail I will use has about 35.
Old 29-08-2019, 14:52   #8

MMMMmmmmm. 30% reduction in sail area is a lot!!! I really don't think that is a good idea.

Ann
Old 29-08-2019, 15:38   #9

I agree with you but I am going to give it a try. When I did the calculations it was a real disappointment. With the jib, the sail area goes slightly above 50 feet.
Old 30-08-2019, 04:08   #10

I might add that this dinghy will never be sailed anywhere but in this lake. The only reason for sailing it is to once again feel the response of a boat to the force of the wind. So if it doesn't perform perfectly I won't be crushed.
Old 02-09-2019, 13:07   #11

JPA, You are right.

Its worse than I thought. Most area I would get from the mainsail is about32 Sq Ft.

So I am doing a rethink on the mast design. I am going back up to about 14 feet in length overall which is very close to the WB kit. I won't do aluminum because the pipe of the proper size would be prohibitively expensive. So I am looking into other materials.

The bottom line is that you are right about the stubbier mast.

Back to the drawing board.
Old 02-09-2019, 14:40   #12

We have some friends with a Walker Bay dinghy, and they sail it around the places they anchor and where their mother boat is moored. It is a conservative design, and I think you have now selected a better way forward.

Good luck with it.

Ann
Old 02-09-2019, 18:45   #13

I will post the progress of the project. Some of my techniques will be unorthodox. I hope I don't get laughed out of the theater.

To JPA, thanks for your continued interest and tolerance.
Old 07-09-2019, 04:21   #14

I have established a design. The mast will be fourteen feet in length overall. The boom is 7 feet. This provides a sail which is 6' 5" on the foot, with a leech equal to 11'3". Square footage of the mainsail is 36 feet. The sail kit from Walker bay has a main sail of 50 sq ft. To make up for this shortfall in sail power, I will also use a jib. I am hanging the jib on a short bowsprit which will permit a foot of 34 inches. I am calculating the jib at about 17 square feet. I believe this will place the combined CE well forward of the pivot point. I will use a rudder which is a little oversized and will anticipate carrying a lot of rudder at some points of sailing.

More later
Old 07-09-2019, 05:47   #15

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I think you're correct using a bowsprit and jib. I rigged a sail kit for my WB8 using the provided (cat boat?) step and a sail running to 40 +/- sf. Absolutely will not sail to a weather. I believe this is due to the WB kit being sort of a sprig sail type, rather than Marconi rig.

My fix will be to provide a new step attached to the forward edge of the trunk and possibly a short bow sprit. Hoping that there is enough material left over to fashion a matching jib!

Mast is a 13' x 2.5"section of straight grained, hand-made fir "dowel" wrapped in a layer of GRP. It just slips into a piece of 2.5" pvc pipe. I fashioned the boom from a 1" diameter disused fg antenna extension with a rubber clad heavy duty garden tool wall hook plugged into the next end for the fork/yoke. Sail is cut down beach cat sail.

HTH,
Paul

deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote