After a setback, I am back at it.
As you could tell from the photos, the mast and rigging were complete. We finished making the main sail. When I hoisted the main, I realized that the mast was not stiff enough.
I went back to the drawing board and made a mast from poplar. I laminated poplar 1 x 3 and 1 x 2 to form a square cross section of 3 inches.
Then ran the fourteen foot mast through a planer to get it down to two inches in square cross section. Next I made a jig to hold the mast at a 45 degree angle as it passed through the planer. I planed the mast down on all fur corners to give it an octagon cross section.
A little varnish
and it was ready for the fittings. I redesigned the truck revising the main and jib halyard
sheaves. All of the other fittings transferred directly.
I got lucky with my measurements for the length of the mast because I did not have to change the length of the stays at all.
We made the sail from material obtained from Sailrite
. Those are some nice people to deal with. Seams are triple stitched as are the edge bindings. The luff leech and foot are backed with 3/4 twill tape which is double wrapped in some stainless steel
rings from Home Depot to form the tacks. Jib will be red.