Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 09:03   #1

Very Low Pressure SCUBA Tank

I know nothing about SCUBA, so bear with me, this may be a stupid question.

Is there some reason you couldn't use a manual pump to fill a tank to say 10 atmospheres (about the pressure inside a bike tire, so should be doable) and use that for brief, shallow dives (like cleaning the hull)? A standard 0.39 ft3 tank at 10 atmospheres should have enough air for about 10 minutes by my estimation.

-- Seneca
KISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:13   #2

Re: Very Low Pressure SCUBA Tank

Now, I'm admittedly not a diver. however, a quick google search and a little public school education tells me:

Atmosphere = "atm"
lb per square inch = "psi"

1 atm = 14.6959 psi.

14.6959 x 10 = 140.6959

10 atm = 140.6959 psi.

That is WAY over any bicycle or automobile tire pressure rating.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:16   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Now, I'm admittedly not a diver. however, a quick google search and a little public school education tells me:

Atmosphere = "atm"
lb per square inch = "psi"

1 atm = 14.6959 psi.

14.6959 x 10 = 140.6959

10 atm = 140.6959 psi.

That is WAY over any bicycle or automobile tire pressure rating.
If you google "bike tire pressure," the first result says that road tires have a typical PSI of 80-130.

-- Seneca
Old 31-05-2017, 09:28   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by KISS View Post
I know nothing about SCUBA, so bear with me, this may be a stupid question.

Is there some reason you couldn't use a manual pump to fill a tank to say 10 atmospheres (about the pressure inside a bike tire, so should be doable) and use that for brief, shallow dives (like cleaning the hull)? A standard 0.39 ft3 tank at 10 atmospheres should have enough air for about 10 minutes by my estimation.
You'll be lucky to get anywhere close to 145 psi (10 bar) with a bike pump. The problem is that scuba first stage regulators take tank pressure and reduce it to 140 psi intermediate pressure to send to the second stage regulator. Without sufficient pressure in the tank, the first stage won't crack open, and you'll be sucking dry almost right away.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 09:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
You'll be lucky to get anywhere close to 145 psi (10 bar) with a bike pump. The problem is that scuba first stage regulators take tank pressure and reduce it to 140 psi intermediate pressure to send to the second stage regulator. Without sufficient pressure in the tank, the first stage won't crack open, and you'll be sucking dry almost right away.

-David
Got it. Is there an electric pump that would be safe to use to fill a tank (still not to normal pressure, but to something well over 140 so as to make the tank usable)? Or would you say a hookah is the better option? ...the huge cost of a proper SCUBA compressor can't be justified for the limited purpose I have in mind.

-- Seneca
Old 31-05-2017, 09:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I'm a former diver. A Hookah is your cheapest bet. A compressor that produces over 150psi is expensive and expensive to run. When a dive tank gets down to 500psi you should be near the end of your dive. I use a hookah for changing zincs, etc., and it works fine. Fast to setup and use and no trip to get tanks filled.
Don't gather dive equipment and dive without dive school. It's easy to kill yourself, I nearly did as a teen.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:14   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Got it. Is there an electric pump that would be safe to use to fill a tank (still not to normal pressure, but to something well over 140 so as to make the tank usable)? Or would you say a hookah is the better option? ...the huge cost of a proper SCUBA compressor can't be justified for the limited purpose I have in mind.
As someone else has already pointed out, a hookah system is your best bet. Just make sure that the air intake is nowhere near the engine or generator exhaust.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:27   #8

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

A couple of the bottom cleaning guys in my marina use simple compressors in the dock, with hose to regulator. My sister who is certified says this is dangerous as they could be breathing in line oil droplets from the compressor. Comments? At least two divers here are using the cheap "pancake" compressors.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2017, 10:32   #9
cruiser

They're probably oilless with an inline filter. You can by a decent 110v model at the home depot for $99.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:54   #10

Quote:
If you google "bike tire pressure," the first result says that road tires have a typical PSI of 80-130.
My Mtn bike tires run around 30psi. My dirtbike tires run around 13psi. Maybe some performance road bikes get up to 80-130psi. You'll find most recreational bikes out there are riding around with significantly less.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:28   #11

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
My Mtn bike tires run around 30psi. My dirtbike tires run around 13psi. Maybe some performance road bikes get up to 80-130psi. You'll find most recreational bikes out there are riding around with significantly less.
I always pumped my touring bike to around 110.

Higher pressure means less rolling resistance.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, scuba